Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Going about a mod

Offline E. Danny

• 17 of 500
Going about a mod
on: March 09, 2008, 09:23:32 AM
I have an idea for a mod. I want to remove the small bit driver and large screwdriver from my TTi and add it with a large bit driver from my Wave. Then I would add said bit driver and screwdriver from the TTi to the Wave [2 small bit drivers and 2 large screwdrivers? Madness!) I don't have a use for a small bit driver, and I would be using an XTi or an ALX, but I like the scissors. And I didn't really do my homework when I got the TTi. I could have just got an XTi or an ALX and paired it with a Micra  :cry: (Basically, the tool I'm describing is an XTi, substitute the small bit driver with scissors, I shall call it the Charge ETi!)

But anywho, to start the mod to begin with, I'd have to get a tamper resistant tool, which i have seen on ebay for cheap. But there is one thing I'm skeptical about.

I'm worried about taking my TTi apart, since I paid a BOATload of money on. And I like the fact that I have a 25 year warranty with it, and taking it apart will void that warranty. And I don't wanna take it apart then realize, "CRAP! I don't know how to put it back together!"

So what's the easiest way of going about a mod of this sort, and is it just a matter of willpower to void or keep that warranty?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 09:31:27 AM by E. Danny »
~

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Going about a mod
Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 01:44:05 PM
Well the Charge isn't necessarily the worst one to start with as one of our members (J-Sews) has disassembled and reassembled quite a few of them and can probably help you if you get lost at some point.  Bear in mind that there are numerous little washers in there in addition to the implements themselves so it might appear impossible once you've got it open!

As for the security bits, some folks have managed to find them in various places, including eBay and local hardware store.  Some of them may chime in and tell you where to start looking.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 04:17:47 PM
Most hardware stores sell them. They usually have just one T6 security torx for five bucks or a whole kit for twenty bucks. The kit has many odd assorted bits that you don't readily see! Or you can just get two T6 security torx bits for ten and have exactly what you need!   :think:
B

Offline scibeer

Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 05:27:17 PM
I'm still working up the courage to take a couple multis apart.

I usually take a bunch of pictures before tearing something new apart.  They come in really handy once you forget where everything was.

Good luck and post some pix as you go if you get a chance.

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 05:31:37 PM
Scibeer, if your amazing at taking apart SAKs then I'm sure you can take apart a MT!  :D
B

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 05:45:53 PM
First question is, how many points are there on the torx fasteners holding your Charge and your Wave together? Leatherman started off using 5-point security torx, and its not easy to obtain bits. A couple years ago they switched to 6-point security torx, bits for which are readily available. Which kind does yours have?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline E. Danny

• 17 of 500
Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 05:57:30 PM
My Charge and Wave both have 6 pointed bits, I made sure to check that out too!
~

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 06:09:06 PM
My Charge and Wave both have 6 pointed bits, I made sure to check that out too!

Cool! I've seen the 6-point security bits all over, including the local hardware store. :)

Don't be too concerned about messing anything up. Follow Bill's advice and take pictures before beginning. There are indeed a lot of washers and parts but you are only dealing with one handle in each tool. (Is that right, you can do the swap you want by only disassembling one pivot point in each tool?)

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline E. Danny

• 17 of 500
Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 08:07:45 PM
ya, i only gotta disassemble the one handle on both tools. just a real simple mod of switching tools out.
~

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: March 09, 2008, 11:19:50 PM
You should have no problems then. For reference, here's a Charge ALX totally disassembled (picture posted previously).

Only thing to be careful of is sorta hard to explain. The pivot screw you will be removing is actually two pieces, obviously. One side is a screw, the other side is a hollow threaded post. The post has flats on it that engage flats on the handle frame and the little washers, preventing tool "clumping".

Using your security torx bits, you want to hold the "post" side stationary while rotating only the "screw" side.

(Does that make any sense?) :P

Offline scibeer

Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 05:12:04 PM
So my charge has the round screws with the ridges on the outside like a quarter.    I know the wrench for it must be hard to get a hold of.

So, dremel some slots and use a flat screwdriver, or make a quicksteel mold??    Channel locks will just make it ugly I'm sure.   

I don't even want to change anything really, just rip the sucker apart!

These metal inserts on the handles have to go to.    I have the slvr version from Costco.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 05:20:04 PM by scibeer »

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #11 on: March 10, 2008, 05:40:13 PM
Try ordering a couple of Kick pocket clips- they work as wrenches to loosen the knurled LM screws.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: March 11, 2008, 01:23:53 AM
Try ordering a couple of Kick pocket clips- they work as wrenches to loosen the knurled LM screws.

Def

The clips work great, but only on the blade pivot screws. The plier pivot screws are a bigger size and don't fit. :(

* clip wrench 1.jpg (Filesize: 51.45 KB)

* clip wrench 2.jpg (Filesize: 53.39 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%