Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

If you had to choose just one?

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
If you had to choose just one?
on: September 23, 2006, 05:29:09 AM
I know that most of us have more than one multitool.  And we each have our favorites for one reason or another. What I was wondering is what tool you would choose if you were to be stranded somewhere and could only have one. My choice would have to be the Vic Swisstool. It's size, sturdiness, durability and tool selection pluses.
"

Offline colubrid

Re: If you had to choose just one?
Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006, 05:38:26 AM

I it depends on where you are stranded.. In a building? Highway? Desert Island??? Mountains??

IMO a tool with all the driver gadgets would be useless on an Island or in the montains or desert. Unless you needed it to just start your car. In that case call triple AAA or hitch a ride.

I would think the tool bits and screwdriver would become usless and all you would need is the Blade, file and saw. So I pick the Core.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 05:03:29 PM by colubrid »

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 23, 2006, 06:06:44 AM
That's the thing when picking a tool. It's like old saying "the right tool for the right job"  I was just wondering because I have been watching SurivorMan the past month on the Discovery channel.  And Less Stroud always seems to either be using the old LM Wave or the SwissTool. There have been episodes where he was stranded in the mountians, in the desert, on an island, even on a life raft.  His web site says he likes LM tools the best but on many of his episodes he using a Swisstool.
"

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #3 on: September 23, 2006, 10:55:48 AM
There can only be one .............  SWISSTOOL  ;D

Offline Ging

• Skint Brit!!
Reply #4 on: September 23, 2006, 07:35:24 PM
If I had to have only one multi it would have to do as many tasks as possible so I think the Swiss Tool would win.  As it as the most tools and all the screwdrivers are not stuby.  That said, the Wave/Charge would have one hand opening blades which could replace a knife.
E

Offline colubrid

Reply #5 on: September 23, 2006, 08:13:00 PM
I vote for a Swisstool with the LM outside opening blades and the SOG Powerlocks gears

and Cores hollow ground screwdrivers and the scissors from.....
and and and

Offline colubrid

Reply #6 on: September 23, 2006, 08:23:52 PM
If you have not read this yet, then this is a great read on the Core:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=417941&highlight=core

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: September 24, 2006, 03:20:39 AM
Thanks colubrid. I spoke to Mike earlier this week. Sounds like he still likes his new Core about as much as you like yours!  :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #8 on: September 24, 2006, 03:31:58 AM
Come on guys, spend some time talking about tools I already have... I can't afford to keep getting new ones at this rate!
Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Travis Autry

Reply #9 on: September 24, 2006, 04:35:46 AM
If limited to only one, I would definitely choose my Original SwissTool.  It has been used and abused and continues to serve me well. 

Offline mkphc

Reply #10 on: September 24, 2006, 05:44:28 AM
1st and foremost I'd choose a Lightsabre

since I only own an older wave and super tool, I'd say wave one handed, scissors, comfort
H

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: September 24, 2006, 01:03:13 PM
1st and foremost I'd choose a Lightsabre

That wouldn't be much of a multitool, unless you got one with pliers!
Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline mkphc

Reply #12 on: September 24, 2006, 05:40:24 PM
allright a lightsaber w/a swisstool in the handle
H

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: September 24, 2006, 08:24:37 PM

:D
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #14 on: September 24, 2006, 08:28:06 PM
All the Swisstool recommendations are inspiring.  I ordered a Swisstool X today.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: September 24, 2006, 09:13:03 PM
Gotta love peer pressure.  The X model is perhaps my favorite as well.  I really like having the scissors, plus the X has standard Victorinox scissors so spare parts are readily available.
To me that's the one benefit of the X over the Spirit.
Def

Offline jmm1974

Reply #16 on: October 24, 2006, 02:58:25 AM
if i could only have one it woul be a lm charge, the scissors are a little small but its just a great tool imho.

us Offline CacherX4

Reply #17 on: October 24, 2006, 04:03:10 AM
All the Swisstool recommendations are inspiring.  I ordered a Swisstool X today.

If you don't mind me asking where did you order from?

au Offline Valkie

Reply #18 on: June 29, 2023, 06:24:01 AM
Its a really hard question.
But to approach it logically....

My Victornox swiss tool is a beautiful tool, beautifully made and nice to look at while being both strong and useful.
My Leatherman wave is more utilitarian and tougher looking than most with a huge array of tools.
My leatherman wingman is nice to hold, easy to open and while lacking some tools, has enough for some purposes.
My Victornox farmer X alox is a brilliant tool and very useful

Along with many others, these 4 are my "Working" favorites.

But I find myself grabbing each with a different purpose in mind.

The Swiss tool is my go to for going to work, its a nice looking tool, less threatening and very functional.
Quality tools make general fixes easy (easier than trundling off to the workshop for a screwdriver or pliers)
The tools are near perfect for office type stuff and it cuts through my apples nicely
Sits nice in my pouch and has been used many, many times.

But at home, I grab the Wave for everything around the house.
Tough and utilitarian, easy to open for those quick fixes and reasonably well tooled.
I have a plethora of tools in my garage, but many things can be easily fixed with the simple tools in the Wave.

When volunteering for Marine Rescue, I grab the Wingman.
It is light, smooth, easy to access and you know what you are getting from feel alone.
In the boats, you often need a tool quickly and this one serves well.
Even continual exposure to the salt water don't seem to phase it a quick wash in fresh water and you are away.
Several of us carry this tool, some are in pretty poor condition from not getting that little was at the end of each day.

For bush walking, and general other stuff where I know ill need a small basic tool set, out comes the Victornox Farmer X.
It has a few more accessories than the old soldier of my Scouting youth, but enough for the basics.
Its light, easy to carry, stupidly sharp and that saw has been used quite a few times.
Not a full on multitool like the Wave or Swiss tool, but for its intended its perfect.

Which one for ever?
It would be easier to pick my favorite child (which is impossible)
Ill just have to have them all.
tools is what defines us as humans

us Online Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #19 on: June 29, 2023, 07:00:49 AM
Great answer and approach Valkie.

The situation really dictates what you want when you have options.

The Vic ST Spirit is my most commonly used and carried tool because I love the form factor and utility that provide balance.  I’m not usually doing a lot of tough use tasks that warrants me needing a tougher utilitarian tool like the SwissTool, Wave or Surge.

My outdoor hiking tool is usually an Outrider of Farmer X, with the Farmer X getting the nod more often.

But now if I was planning on “just one” to cover any and all use and emergencies, it would by the SwissTool Rescue with wrench and bit kit.  This is what is in my car emergency kit.  It is heavier than I want to carry around, but if I want something that I could trust to do most things and last, this is it.

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #20 on: June 29, 2023, 11:45:40 PM
I think that, given how most of the top brands are of sufficiently high quality, the obvious answer will always be: The one with the most tools.
That way you have all eventualities covered, and in a survival situation function trumps everything else.

00 Offline Grand_Banana

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: July 02, 2023, 05:21:59 AM
I’ve been going through this sort of thinking like Valkie on the combo thread I started. Each of the various combos I carry prepares me for various situations or jobs. I’ve learned the Swisstool Spirit or the Swisschamp would be my “only one.”

But, for fun a few options:

To prepare for all eventualities the Spirit wins.  I can handle most urban and outdoor needs. The SC is a close second if not tie because I get the scale tools and mag lens.  The Spirit or SC also accompany me outdoors.

To serve as a general replacement tool kit the Wave with ratchets and bits wins. I’ll be modifying it soon with a blade exchanger and awl so that covers a wide array of functions.

If I’m limited on space the Explorer with plus scales wins.  I pocket carry the Explorer at home unless I’m working on a project needing a PBMT setup like the Wave.

If I’m limited to keychain carry the Alox Minichamp wins. Very functional tool set that many of our members here have demonstrated its potential.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: July 03, 2023, 06:35:32 AM
Vic Spirit probably gets my vote.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

Offline Djiaux

Reply #23 on: July 03, 2023, 12:37:10 PM
Same here.

I prefer to carry the Spirit or a lighter chinese multitool, but if things can get serious and you have to have maximum reliability... Swisstool X.

Because of quality and because of tool selection.

us Offline charlie fox

Reply #24 on: July 03, 2023, 01:00:43 PM
This is a pretty easy question because I was just going through my "INCH" bag (I'm Never Coming Home) and the tool that lives in there is my 2003 Leatherman Wave. Simple, tough, and has almost every tool I would need. And there are no bits to get lost. It's pictured here with the other tools in the bag :cheers:

* e4MssFv[1].jpg (Filesize: 79.12 KB)
"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

au Offline Valkie

Reply #25 on: July 11, 2023, 01:52:56 AM
I think that, given how most of the top brands are of sufficiently high quality, the obvious answer will always be: The one with the most tools.
That way you have all eventualities covered, and in a survival situation function trumps everything else.

But sometimes bigger isnt better.
I have a victornox Hercules, purchased specifically for hiking.
But its too damn big and bulky.
The Farmer X has almost the same tool set (if smaller) but is far easier to carry.

au Offline Valkie

Reply #26 on: July 11, 2023, 01:55:02 AM
This is a pretty easy question because I was just going through my "INCH" bag (I'm Never Coming Home) and the tool that lives in there is my 2003 Leatherman Wave. Simple, tough, and has almost every tool I would need. And there are no bits to get lost. It's pictured here with the other tools in the bag :cheers:

Thats a lotta tools.
At my age the weight alone would slow me down.
There seems to be a few advocating the Vic spirit, might have to invest in one.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD