Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

stuck wave blade

Offline daveim21

stuck wave blade
on: February 04, 2010, 02:35:34 AM
I need help with my New Wave. The plain edge blade is too stuck in position to open one-handedly, and in order to open it, 8 have to really dig my thumbnail into the hole and pull really hard. It feels like the lock designed to prevent the opening of the blade in the pliers open position is engaged even when the pliers are closed. Any suggestions?
:

Offline trickknife

• Deputy Dog
Re: stuck wave blade
Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 03:24:09 AM
I need help with my New Wave. The plain edge blade is too stuck in position to open one-handedly, and in order to open it, 8 have to really dig my thumbnail into the hole and pull really hard. It feels like the lock designed to prevent the opening of the blade in the pliers open position is engaged even when the pliers are closed. Any suggestions?

If the blade on the other end of the same pin is slightly loose, then you can actually shift the pin toward the knife blade to releave some of the tension on it.  You litterally just whack the pin up against a rigid metal surface (like the flat spot on an anvil).  Works great for me.
-

Offline shecky

Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 02:42:01 AM
The pin that blocks the blade hole when pliers are open is probably deformed. You can try pushing the pin back into it's nesting area when the whole tool is closed, back into the position it's supposed to be in that state (which allows the blade to open freely). However, I have a feeling that the pin (which is riveted inside the handle and is actuated by the ramped cam action on the plier head) may be fatigued, and may not survive too much bending. In which case, it will snap off. Which isn't really a big deal, functionally.

The alternative is to send it back to Leatherman, explaining the problem.

Offline daveim21

Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 03:06:24 AM
thanks. i actually had to do both things, because after i bent the pin back the bolt was too tight. Thanks, guys!
:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD