Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Explorer, Fieldmaster, or Huntsman Lite?

Singh · 22 · 11845

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Explorer, Fieldmaster, or Huntsman Lite?
on: November 13, 2009, 05:31:07 PM
My current SAK is a Super Tinker and I like all that is has.. except an inline Philips  and/or a  saw would be nice.  The back-mounted Phillips  is balls because the T handle setup has more-than-once resulted in inability to reach screws.  >:( A saw became much more useful to have after sawing down several saplings this summer with my original Supertool.

The candidates:

Explorer: Inline Phillips but no saw.

Fieldmaster: It’s a super Tinker with a saw but no inline Phillips.

The only candidate that has the inline Phillips AND a saw is the Huntsman Lite. But I’m not sure about it because it may be too bulky for daily pocket carry.  But the Huntsman is the only candidate that fits the bill. But the Huntsman is a bit pricey… but as they say, ‘you only buy it once’.

Thoughts?

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Explorer, Fieldmaster, or Huntsman Lite?
Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 05:50:59 PM
You're right the slimmest factory SAK to have all the tools you want is the Huntsman Lite.  It's five layers thick so right at the upper limit of what I can pocket carry myself (although some folks manage to pocket carry the Swiss Champ).  The Champion Plus is cheaper but even thicker (though not by much).  You could look at a belt hanger or a pouch perhaps?

I just thought of another option; the Master Gardener.  http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Master+Gardener
Not in production anymore but you can still find them.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 05:51:26 PM
I have a Fieldmaster and I love it. Yeah the back mounted Phillips is a bit of a pain but for most Phillips screws I use the can opener. It works great for me.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 06:36:41 PM
I just thought of another option; the Master Gardener.  http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Master+Gardener
Not in production anymore but you can still find them.

This is a pretty good suggestion IMO. The gardener is the thinnest knife with a saw and inline phillips you can get from the factory. I looked on eBay and there are several still available for about $32. This was a special run model, so if you want one, get it now - once they sell out, they're gone. It's a very cool knife with a pruning blade. The only issue I have with it is the back mounted Phillips, which is redundant with the inline. I got a Huntsman Lite a few years ago for EDC, but found it too thick. I also find the carrying a LED knife in your pocket inevitably leads to the lite turning on and the battery dying, so that's a problem with the Gardener, too.

If you went custom, you could get whatever you wanted. A yeoman + saw sounds like it might be the perfect knife for you.  A custom Woodsman (Explorer + saw) might be an option, too, as it'd easier to build (get a Champion Plus for $28 and pull out the fish scaler and metal file). A real Woodsman is pretty hard to find and expensive when you do.  If you don't need scissors, pull them out, too for a knife that is the same size as a Hunstman.

FYI, I measured some of mine for thickness to give you an idea of how they compare:

Fieldmaster: 20mm
Explorer: 21.4mm
Master Gardner: 22mm
Woodsman: 23mm
Huntsman Lite: 24.8mm
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 06:49:44 PM by jazzbass »

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 06:46:45 PM
Which reminds me... I still have the bits for a Yeoman lying around in a box for the past year or so... :-\ Darn real life! >:( :D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 06:53:03 PM
Which reminds me... I still have the bits for a Yeoman lying around in a box for the past year or so... :-\ Darn real life! >:( :D

:pok: :pok: :pok: ;)

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 06:56:14 PM
I know it's not the slimmest of packages, but I'd still go for a Swisschamp :)

Yes there a tad bulky, but I've been edc'ing one on and off since I was 18 :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline andrea.from.roma

Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 07:08:21 PM
My current SAK is a Super Tinker and I like all that is has.. except an inline Philips  and/or a  saw would be nice.  The back-mounted Phillips  is balls because the T handle setup has more-than-once resulted in inability to reach screws.  >:( A saw became much more useful to have after sawing down several saplings this summer with my original Supertool.

The candidates:

Explorer: Inline Phillips but no saw.

Fieldmaster: It’s a super Tinker with a saw but no inline Phillips.

The only candidate that has the inline Phillips AND a saw is the Huntsman Lite. But I’m not sure about it because it may be too bulky for daily pocket carry.  But the Huntsman is the only candidate that fits the bill. But the Huntsman is a bit pricey… but as they say, ‘you only buy it once’.

Thoughts?

I'm a Sakphile (a guy who suffers from Victorinoxphilia) so the answer is quite simple: buy them all! But that would be the wrong answer...

Among the ones you suggested, I would go for the Huntsman. Yes, it is the largest of the three, but it's not as large as the Handyman I carried for years and years - without a problem. Before I bought my beloved Spirit, of course. And I loved that little toolbox, the Handyman, believe me. I used to carry it in a nylon belt sheath.

A.

PS A very predictable suggestion: why not a Spirit? It's got it all...  ;)

R

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 08:52:09 PM
Amazon has the $10 off $50 promo going again, so theres deals to be had.

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 09:04:06 PM
A very predictable suggestion: why not a Spirit?

I have a Swisstool RS.  Outside of work, I carry the Swisstool on my belt and S.Tinker in the pocket.  At work, a Swisstool on my belt would cause too much attention. So I need a SAK for pocket carry.

Then again, the S.Tinker has everything I need while at work. Heck, a Compact would have all I need while at work. Hey..now there’s an idea.   

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 09:18:56 PM
I say... get both Explorer and Huntsman. :D

Explorer is perfect for work/metro carry IMGO. :tu:
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 10:54:20 PM by Freudian Frog »
Got those frog legs.

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: November 13, 2009, 09:22:39 PM
A very predictable suggestion: why not a Spirit?

I have a Swisstool RS.  Outside of work, I carry the Swisstool on my belt and S.Tinker in the pocket.  At work, a Swisstool on my belt would cause too much attention. So I need a SAK for pocket carry.

Then again, the S.Tinker has everything I need while at work. Heck, a Compact would have all I need while at work. Hey..now there’s an idea.   

A Spirit might fit in your pocket where a Swisstool wouldn't. But a Super Tinker is a mighty fine choice too.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

00 Offline 1jump2many

Reply #12 on: November 14, 2009, 12:02:16 AM
I have to second Gareth's suggestion about the Master Gardener.  It sounds like exactly what he is looking for.  It's one that I don't have and will have to get now.  See what you went and did now Gareth?   :D 
[

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #13 on: November 14, 2009, 12:29:32 AM
Just to wet the appetite.  :pok: :pok: :D

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #14 on: November 14, 2009, 12:32:27 AM
I carry a Craftsman which is not actually too big for the pocket - try carrying a bigger one and see if you get on with it.
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: November 14, 2009, 12:59:34 AM
I have to second Gareth's suggestion about the Master Gardener.  It sounds like exactly what he is looking for.  It's one that I don't have and will have to get now.  See what you went and did now Gareth?   :D 

I would say I'm sorry, but it would be a big fat lie. :angel:  I hope you like the new SAK. :D

00 Offline 1jump2many

Reply #16 on: November 14, 2009, 01:24:36 AM

I would say I'm sorry, but it would be a big fat lie. :angel:  I hope you like the new SAK. :D

I ordered one right after I left that post.   :cheers:  Man.....this forum is like an alcoholic living in a Tavern to me.   :D
[

Offline cryptrick

Reply #17 on: November 14, 2009, 01:35:27 AM

I ordered one right after I left that post.   :cheers:  Man.....this forum is like an alcoholic living in a Tavern to me.   :D

I think nearly everybody here has said that before :D  This place gets you spending alright :D
Nice choice anyway 1j2m :)
[

us Offline bren10man

Reply #18 on: November 14, 2009, 02:45:59 AM
I have EDC a Champion since I was 14......I have tried others, but keep drifting back to the ole, reliable Champion.  I added the corkscrew mini screwdriver, and does all I need.  If I need pliers, a SOG EOD Powerplier works.

After the car battery died last weekend, and no pliers (cresent wrench too big or nearly too big), the SOG is going to STAY in the car from now on!!!
MOLON LABE!

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: November 14, 2009, 03:40:48 AM
I would pick the Huntsman lite , I've played with one , but don't own one . I believe it would pocket OK , It's not too far off a Ranger in thickness , give or take about 3/32" , I often carry one in the pocket on a Monroe dangler clip ( TKS Gadget Guy !!!)

Chris

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: November 14, 2009, 02:46:52 PM
Decision: Fieldmaster.

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: November 14, 2009, 07:54:47 PM
The Fieldmaster is a great SAK. I have one and carry it occasionally. It's even better with PLUS scales.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%