Multitool.org

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Dream Knife 2182

No Life Club Posts: 1,600
Dream Knife
« on: May 22, 2007, 09:18:25 PM »
What would your dream knife be like? no need to be realistic (in terms of what is available to buy or will be produced, but do follow the laws of physics, no light-sabres...yet)

Would it be a folder or fixed blade?
Would it be double sided, or single sided?
What shape would the blade be?
What material would it be made out of?
What type of edge would it have?
What size would the blade be?

etc  ;D .
Head Turd Polisher Administrator Just Bananas Posts: 61,354 Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Dream Knife
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 10:02:21 PM »
How are these for dream knives?

Pre-1964 Puma White Hunter in the original stag and sheath, and an 80's Cold Steel Master Tanto in San Mai III with brass fittings, also with the original leather sheath.

However, if we are talking about using knives, I would have to go with a Grohmann #1 belt knife, which I hate to mention in the open because I know that will set up some other members for mentioning another knife, even though they should be burned at the stake for bringing it up.

Grohmann:

Def

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.
Head Turd Polisher Administrator Just Bananas Posts: 61,354 Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 10:04:04 PM »
Another pic of the Puma and the CS.  You can tell the Puma is from before '64 as that's when they started serial numbering them.  This one has no serial number, and has been in my family since the early 60's.  My father bought it new when he was a teen.  He gave it to me when I gave him a Grohmann a few years ago.

Def

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.
No Life Club Posts: 3,994 Improvise.
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 12:58:43 AM »
I'm not huge into knives...I buy them to use, and I don't really have a lot, but..

Would it be a folder or fixed blade?
Fixed blade; the simpler the tool the better IMO.

Would it be double sided, or single sided?
Single sided.

What shape would the blade be?
Not sure the official name...but a flat spine and a slight bolo type shaped blade.

What material would it be made out of?
Coated carbon steel.

What type of edge would it have?
Again, not sure the official term...chisel grind I belive.

What size would the blade be?
3"-4"...if I wanted to chop I'd get an axe...and you can still baton/split wood with a 3" blade.

It's basically the Becker Necker with a slightly differnt profile, and 1/4" shorter...the Necker is 1/4" too big for legal carry here! :P

[
No Life Club Posts: 1,346 Right Wing Psychopath!
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 04:42:27 AM »
Dream knife?

I guess that would depend a lot on what I was using it for. 

As for already in production blades if I were to have only one blade and be allowed to carry it everywhere it would be a Tom Brown Tracker with the leather sheath. 

As for MY ultimate dream knife to carry everyday it would have the following features:

1.)  Folder

2.)  3" Blade, 1/4" thick, deep bellied spearpoint shape, like the Buck Tariani Police model.

3.)  Blade steel would be high carbon 1095 with black finish to inhibit rust.

4.)  Axis Lock.

5.)  plain edge.

6.)  Titanium frame/handle, scales.

7.)  Titanium pocket clip.

8.)  Lanyard hole.

9.)  flat and phillips screwdrivers that fold into the the front or backside of the handle, like a SAK. 

That would be my dream knife.
Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club! Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here... Posts: 42,959 Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 02:58:35 PM »
Just one knife! :o

How am i supossed to narrow it down to one ;D

if i had to pick one knife that i wouldnt be without, i,d pick two ;)

If i could only have one then it would be my Cold Steel Gurka Kukri, trully indetructable and able to do vertually all bushcraft tasks, plus virtually everything an axe can do in a lighter and more versatile package :)

and if i could have one more then my Falkie F1, or my Chris Reeve Aviator, which are ideal for the slightly heavier tasks that a sak or multi tool can,t quite handle.

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007, 03:14:48 PM »
I would pay good money to see you open the mail or clean your nails with the Kukri!  :grin: :grin:

Def

No Life Club Posts: 1,346 Right Wing Psychopath!
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 03:45:11 PM »
Def,

I like the Grohmann.  From what I hear they make a good knife.  One of my friend has one of the CS tantos with the brass fittings and leather sheath.  He made a shoulder rig for the knife out of an old set of neoprene waders when he worked in Alaska to keep the blade above water when working in waist deep water.  It is really cool.     
Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club! Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here... Posts: 42,959 Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 04:59:17 PM »
I would pay good money to see you open the mail or clean your nails with the Kukri!  :grin: :grin:

Def
Letters are a bit of an issue, parcels no problem at all >:D

as for me nails, as long as i don,t push to hard its fine! :)

Ive got a grohmann and there a very good knife indeed for the money, (there pretty pricy in the uk ::))

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2007, 05:04:00 PM »
Well next time you need a Grohmann, let me know.  I am within 100kms of their factory (which also sells Victorinox!) and I could probably get you one fresh off the line!

Def

Formerly known as 665ae No Life Club Posts: 3,370 blah blah blah
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2007, 06:46:04 PM »
which I hate to mention in the open because I know that will set up some other members for mentioning another knife, even though they should be burned at the stake for bringing it up.

:pok:

If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2007, 06:49:57 PM »
What took you so long?  :twak:

Def

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2007, 07:15:03 PM »
which I hate to mention in the open because I know that will set up some other members for mentioning another knife, even though they should be burned at the stake for bringing it up.

(Image removed from quote.)

:pok:
i got one of those as a present for easter ;D

by god there sharp outa the box :o

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2007, 07:16:43 PM »
Well next time you need a Grohmann, let me know.  I am within 100kms of their factory (which also sells Victorinox!) and I could probably get you one fresh off the line!

Def
might take you up on that!

don,t suppose you,ve got a link of the current range have you?

Full Member Posts: 114
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2007, 07:21:18 PM »
If I had to pick a dream knife, it would probably be something similar to the Vic Electrician Plus (2 blades -- large and small).  I would want the following changes:

1. the blades lock (maybe like the Spyderco Dyad)

2. upgraded steel in the cutting blades (sorry -- I know some of you get tired of hearing this).

Otherwise, I'm really finding my mini-RSK (Ritter Grip) and small Sebenza are doing battle for the most pocket time.  In addition to these, I'm also carrying a 84mm SAK (can't remember the model) everyday.

:)

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2007, 07:32:22 PM »
  In addition to these, I'm also carrying a 84mm SAK (can't remember the model) everyday.

84mm are great, very useful and so small and light you hardly notice them till you need them :)

Full Member Posts: 114
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2007, 07:37:03 PM »
  In addition to these, I'm also carrying a 84mm SAK (can't remember the model) everyday.

84mm are great, very useful and so small and light you hardly notice them till you need them :)

Yep, the size is great!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
July Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: $33.00
PayPal Fees: $2.75
Net Balance: $30.25
Below Goal: $269.75
Site Currency: USD