Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Got my Farmer

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Got my Farmer
on: May 23, 2007, 02:31:01 AM
WEEEEEE. This thing is great. I really fought trying this, but I am glad I got the  trade from Inkster. My old Soldier has served me for a long time and I am sad to see it go. I feel that this Vic is absolutely perfect for anything in the woods that pops up. It is light, and seems that it is very stout. Surprisingly I found that the knife blade is a whole lot thicker than the old soldier. and there is absolutly no side play in it. I just cant wait till this weekend to try it out for real.
S

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Got my Farmer
Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 02:40:42 AM
I realize you are referring to the other one as a "soldier" because it served you well, but there is actually a Victorinox model called the "Soldier" and it's very much different from the old Spartan you had.  In fact, the Spartan is actually descended from the original Officer's Knife.

But, as long as you are happy with it, that's the bottom line!  Welcome to the ALOX club!  Check out some of the ALOX articles on www.SOSAKOnline.com for some cool info on your Farmer, the real Soldier model and many others!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 02:57:37 AM
Congrats hawkchucker! :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 08:43:33 AM
Cogratulations mate, the farmer is in my opinion the finest sak made :grin:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline plowboy

Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 07:47:32 PM
Congrats from here on the farm.  Every farm has to have a farmer.  I know the Vic Farmer will serve you well.

Plowboy.
 :)

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 12:55:30 AM
Cogratulations mate, the farmer is in my opinion the finest sak made :grin:

It's one of my favorites, but I can't call it perfect until the keyring loop has been ground off.
- Terry

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 01:08:20 AM
Ya know Nutsak that ring has not been a issue yet. I have read from others how it gets in the way, but I find it non obtrusive. Not to mention I actually have been using it. But anyway I am absolutely sold on this knife and its entire platform. 
S

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 01:16:12 AM
I don't have a problem with the keyring either.  It's nice to see that I'm not the only one! :P

There's a couple of other three layer ALOX SAKs you can look for too- the Pioneer Harvester and the Electrician Plus.  They are pretty well the same but the Harvester has a hawksbill shaped pruning blade and the Electrician Plus (not to be confused with the Electrician) has an electrician's blade on it.  I like them all...

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #8 on: November 23, 2007, 01:06:15 PM
some place we all know "something Zon! (hint hint) has the red farmer special addition on sale today! (only) :D

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #9 on: November 23, 2007, 06:06:40 PM
I've been debating whether or not to order a Farmer from edcdepot using that Thanksgiving Day sale discount...It seems absolutely no one ever has one for sale or trade (and with good reason I suspect).

The Soldier model I own is great, but the added saw would make it even better since Vic saws are the best.
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: November 23, 2007, 06:12:12 PM
Even if you aren't a fan of the saw, the extra third layer improves the feel of the knife in your hand.  I'd suggest grabbing one sooner rather than later to avoid the inevitable kicking of yourself for not having gotten it sooner!

In case you need some further motivation....

Farmer's Almanac

SOSAK HITMan- Mission Profile

SAK Of The Month, December 2006

Def

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #11 on: November 23, 2007, 06:45:57 PM
Is there an ALOX with more layers than the farmer?
I'm back!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: November 23, 2007, 11:23:28 PM
Nope- there are three ALOX models with three layers though and I like them all because of the extra comfort.  The Farmer, the Pioneer Harvester and the Electrician Plus all have three layers and the third (center) layer in all of them is the wood saw.

Def

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #13 on: November 23, 2007, 11:53:32 PM
Do you think Tim has any of the electricians?
B

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: November 23, 2007, 11:54:40 PM
Do you think Tim has any of the electricians?

Shoot him an email.  If he hasn't got any he may be able to get some.
I'm back!!

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #15 on: November 24, 2007, 04:41:44 AM
Alright, I ordered one from edcdepot.com :ahhh
[

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #16 on: November 24, 2007, 04:56:26 AM
Alright, I ordered one from edcdepot.com :ahhh
               You'll be glad you did,and once you've used it a while you'll wonder why you waited so long.
I

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: November 24, 2007, 02:45:55 PM
Even if you aren't a fan of the saw, the extra third layer improves the feel of the knife in your hand.  I'd suggest grabbing one sooner rather than later to avoid the inevitable kicking of yourself for not having gotten it sooner!

Def

I know what you mean about the third layer feeling nicer.  I use my Mechanic a lot as it has a good range of tools but also because of how it feels holding it.

I have to say though I am not a big saw user so would not buy it for the saw, but for it having the extra layer.  If it had a file instead of a saw I'd buy one tomorrow!
I'm back!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: November 24, 2007, 02:58:43 PM
Remember that the ALOX models have a thinner profile since the ALOX scale is the liner, rather than the cellidor models that need a liner and scale.  This makes the Soldier fairly thin, and while I don't mind the smaller size, the third layer really does make a difference.

Def

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #19 on: November 24, 2007, 03:41:37 PM

Def

I know what you mean about the third layer feeling nicer.  I use my Mechanic a lot as it has a good range of tools but also because of how it feels holding it.

I have to say though I am not a big saw user so would not buy it for the saw, but for it having the extra layer.  If it had a file instead of a saw I'd buy one tomorrow!

I would really like to see an Alox model with a file and a phillips head as well.  Many people overlook the usefulness of a file.  People that go fishing a lot use files to sharpen hooks and it puzzles me that more Vic pocket knife models do not have files. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%