Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

EagleTac P100C2 review...Lots of PICS!!!!!

2xTap · 18 · 5733

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
EagleTac P100C2 review...Lots of PICS!!!!!
on: July 24, 2009, 05:44:08 AM
As I have mentioned in other threads this is my first EagleTac light and my first light equipped with one of CREE's XP-E emitters. This particular light is from their Personal line and is the model P100C2.

It came nicely boxed, which contained a plastic sleeve holding the light, instruction manual, and a little bag holding a pair of spare O-rings and a lanyard ring. The extra tailcap in above pic was an extra purchase accessory....a P100 tailstand-capable tailcap. Here's a few pics of the light with and without the tailstand tailcap:

......click on thumbs for larger views!

And here's some specs per EagleTac:

-Uses two CR123A (compatible with RCR123 rechargeable Li-ion).
-Uses premium color tint Cree Q5 XP-E LED with lifespan of 50,000 hours.
-New shock mounted reverse battery protection.
-New shock mounted lens.
-Tactical tail cap switch with momentary‐on function.
-Highly efficient focusing head that throws a beam over 150 yards.
-Precisely machined and high polished aluminum reflector for flawless beam and maximum light transmission.
-Digital CURRENT regulated output circuit C850.
-Maximum output efficiency up to 95%.
-Constant brightness regardless of difference in input voltage.
-Stable output regardless of temperature changes.
-Syntax I Ultra clear glass lens with anti reflective and anti‐scratch coating.
-Premium grade durable aircraft grade aluminum housing.
-Type III Mil‐spec hard anodized finish.
-Tactical removable stainless steel lanyard ring (included) for quick attachment with Rigid Para cord Lanyard (optional).
-Anti roll (with lanyard ring attached), slip resistant body design.
-Waterproof to IPX 8 Standard.

The overall length of this light is 4.9" inch / 12.4cm, and that's with either tailcap installed. Body diameter is 0.85" inch / 2.1cm, head diameter is 1.0" inch / 2.5cm, and it weighs in at about 2.3 ounces sans batteries. Here's a pic of it alongside my Fenix TK-10 for size reference:

This light operates through a true Forward Clicky tailswitch giving Momentary function and has two output modes which are activated by a simple turn of the head. Fully tight gives you TURBO and a slight turn loose gives you GENERAL. Factory ratings for these two modes are

Turbo Mode: Constant 220 Lumens* regulates 2 hours to 50%
General Mode: Constant 55 Lumens* regulates 14 hours to 50%

The tailswitch in both of my tailcaps operate the same and have good pressure resistance, they are not mushy feeling and have a positive "click" in both the ON and OFF position, and it takes just slight pressure to activate the Momentary function. Operation of the head to switch between modes in smooth and not as stiff as it is on other lights I own that use the same UI. This particular light can be switched with one hand easily.....I like that. With batteries installed there is no battery rattle to this light. And this light has physical battery reverse polarity protection and also sports gold plated contacts!  :tu:

Fit and finish is excellent. I can find no fault anywhere in the finish or the machining. The knurling on the body and tailcaps is not coarse and offers a small amount of grip and is cleanly executed. The threads on both the ends of the light are perfect and on receiving this light both were adequately lubed and free of any grittiness. The head and tailcap thread on and off smoothly. The anodizing is equally well done and I can find no fault in it's application. Same too for the etching on the body, cleanly done. On closer inspection looking into the head you find a beautifully mirror-polished smooth Aluminum reflector, and looking through the lens under different light I can find no particles inside the head......this light was assembled cleanly. Very nice!

And speaking of looking into the head......as mentioned this light uses the new CREE XP-E emitter. It's a Q5 bin and it is tiny. Here is a shot of it alongside my Fenix TK-10 which sports a CREE XR-E Q5 emitter:

Big difference.........but you wouldn't know it by clicking this bad boy on. Output is near equal to it's bigger brothers. I took some quick beamshots in my bedroom. In all pics the lights were approximately 4.5 feet from my bedroom wall which is off-white in color. (Bare in mind my camera is old and absolutely sucks at taking any kind of pictures in the dark. Balance is off somewhat, so these aren't quite true representations of actual output. But they do give a decent reference.)

P100C2 in General Mode:

P100C2 in Turbo Mode:

iTP E50T (L) and P100C2 (R), both in Turbo:

TK-10 (L) and P100C2 (R), both in Turbo:

Beam quality from the P100C2 is good and relatively clean though it does have a slightly distorted corona around the hotspot......likely due to the smooth reflector as it is something I have seen on other lights I own with smooth reflectors. The emitter is almost perfectly center in the reflector but on close inspection it's off by a hair, and a fine hair at that. This could be causing that slight distorted look in the corona, but it's only noticable on close white wall shots and really can't be seen in my beamies. Other than that I was surprised to find it's hotspot larger than I thought it would be given it's reflector......but it does have more spill than I thought as well, and that's a good thing.

All in all I am quite impressed. I own alot of lights from many different manufacturers, in all sorts of different LED's, in all levels of F&F, in many different UI's, etc, etc.......and for the money this is one of the best I have got so far. Granted, longevity and durability remain to be seen but on initial review this is a excellent light given it's sub-$40.00 cost (another $10 for the extra tailcap).

Good stuff, and a torch well worth looking into if one is in the market for a high-output inexpensive multi-mode LED light.

2xTap
Knives, Watches, and Flashlights are like Guns......you can never have too many!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Re: EagleTac P100C2 review...Lots of PICS!!!!!
Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 05:51:02 AM
Nice review.  :tu:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 05:53:59 AM
Great review... I've only got a few lights around that price point, but I may have to pick another one up thanks to you. :D
Got those frog legs.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 06:51:22 AM
Great review mate :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 07:24:19 AM
Thanks gentlemen. These are really good lights (if mine is any example) and I am anxiously awaiting the release of a couple new ones they got coming out in August.

2xTap
Knives, Watches, and Flashlights are like Guns......you can never have too many!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 11:48:11 AM
great review 2xTap.  I don't have anything like your experience with torches so I'm glad you have the same high opinion of Eagletac that I now have.  I'm still very happy with my P10A.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

wales Offline rp252

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 11:49:22 AM
Thanks for the review mate; you've certainly covered all the points I was going to ask about :)

My only concern with Eagletac lights is their waterproof status.  My M2C4 is definitely not waterproof at the moment as I'm able to blow air through the tailcap.  I have toyed with the idea of using something similar to bathroom sealant on the inside of the tailcap but I think it'll get in the way of the battery holder.

Any issues with the waterproofing on yours?

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 11:57:08 AM
Thanks for the review mate; you've certainly covered all the points I was going to ask about :)

My only concern with Eagletac lights is their waterproof status.  My M2C4 is definitely not waterproof at the moment as I'm able to blow air through the tailcap.  I have toyed with the idea of using something similar to bathroom sealant on the inside of the tailcap but I think it'll get in the way of the battery holder.

A quick puff into the tail cap and battery body and I can't feel any leaks myself.

wales Offline rp252

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 11:59:32 AM

A quick puff into the tail cap and battery body and I can't feel any leaks myself.

Glad to hear it.  I'd hate for a torch to suddenly stop working because its started raining.  I'll have to sort out my M2C4 somehow.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 12:13:40 PM
Just been looking at the specs for these and noticed that both the P100C2 and P10A are rated at IPX-8 (heavy moisture/ shallow immersion) but couldn't see an IP rating for yours mate.  I'd be gobsmacked if it isn't weatherproof but perhaps not one to throw in the bath eh?  :)

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 04:48:35 PM
rp252,

The M2's are supposed to be waterproof to IPX 8 Standard, not sure what the issue with yours could be. As far as mine goes, I just got it and it hasn't really been used yet. Can't say I should have any problems as the O-rings seal up good throughout the light and the tailcap boot is pressed to the housing with a thick aluminum washer between itself and the switch. It'll easily handle any water it will ever see as it will only be rain......my lights never see submergence.

2xTap

wales Offline rp252

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 05:00:47 PM
Good stuff mate.  As far as I'm aware its only a problem with the M2 series.  I've read it before about other M2s so its not just mine.  Apparently tightening the screws on the end of the tailcap goes a long way to helping.

To be honest, its very unlikely to be a problem for me.  It seem to deal with rain very well, and its not going to be immersed anytime soon (I hope :D)

I've just ordered myself a T10LC2, so its good to hear you guys have not doubts about yours :)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: July 24, 2009, 05:15:41 PM
Whoops, I stand corrected.  Just looked at the specs again and there it is in black and white.  :-[

The T10LC2 looks cool.  8)

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #13 on: July 24, 2009, 05:24:57 PM
The T10LC2 is a good looking light, and one I was looking at before the T100C2 caught my eye......and now they got the T100C2 MK II coming out which will be a must have for me. But the one I am really jonesing for is..........

Oh yeah!  :tu:

2xTap

wales Offline rp252

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: July 24, 2009, 05:58:08 PM
The T10LC2 is a good looking light, and one I was looking at before the T100C2 caught my eye......and now they got the T100C2 MK II coming out which will be a must have for me. But the one I am really jonesing for is..........

(Image removed from quote.)

Oh yeah!  :tu:

2xTap

Looks cool, very similar to the Olight M20 Warrior.

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #15 on: July 24, 2009, 06:24:28 PM
Yup, very similar. That's why I like it.  :D

2xTap

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: August 02, 2009, 03:27:19 AM
Great review :tu: I am not a flashlight guy so I need all the help I can get :D

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #17 on: March 14, 2010, 10:24:13 AM
Bump :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24