Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

LED conversions for the Mini-Mag

Pacu · 12 · 4394

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
LED conversions for the Mini-Mag
on: January 22, 2007, 04:38:57 AM
If you have a mini-maglite it is the best thing you can do for it. The conversion kit is about 10 bucks at Lowes and you will save that in batteries and bulbs the first 4 months after you convert. Has a neat on/off button on the end too for one handed powering.

They also make a LED bulb for the regular maglites but i have yet to make the swap.
:like:    :MTO:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: LED conversions for the Mini-Mag
Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 04:49:44 AM
On Off button?  I guess you are referring to the Nite Ize kit, which is available wit hthe tailcap button or without.  Handy little buggers, but after testing, I prefer the TerraLux kit as it's brighter.  I am sure folks here can tell you all about bins and refractory opulescence and dilithium magnetic cohesion pertaining to photon throws and how that makes one LED on the TerraLux kit brighter than the three LEDs in the Nite Ize kit, but to be honest, I am just not that bright (pun intended!).

You can see my thoughts on them here:

http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=122&Itemid=35

Mag is now offering a factory issue LED Mini Mag as well.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 06:31:54 AM
Another option is the SMJLED for the minimag.  I use one at work.  It's cheaper than the Terralux, but not as bright.  (I've got a Terralux in the car :) )

I like the Nite Ize kits.  The tail switches are a really good addition to the Minimags...
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 01:39:04 PM
The Nite-Ize kit is my least favorite, mainly due to the loss of focusing ability when using it in the Mag.

I agree that the Terralux is the best performer and its Luxeon emitter provides the best tint.  You can't beat the price of the SMJLED setup, and the performance it provides with lithium batteries is decent.  The SMJLED requires a bit of modification of the stock reflector.

Of the three, the Terralux with a Kroll tailswitch is my favorite minimag setup.  The Kroll offers a much more tactile feel than the Nite-Ize, is less expensive, and can be purchased individually for use with any minimag.  Nite-Ize does offer the I.Q. switch separately however, and it offers five separate modes for a similar price.
- Terry

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 01:19:37 AM
Okay, slow down a bit with the technical terms you guys! I'm by nature a bit on the dense side, :P and am having trouble keeping up with the conversation here. A few explanations for us illuminally challenged folks please:

What's a SMJLED? (anybody got a photo?)
What's a Kroll?
What's an I.Q.? (no wise cracks on this question, or I'll get even!)  :D

Thanks!
~Bob 
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 02:37:24 AM
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 04:33:48 AM
Thanks for the links!  Sometimes I ramble on and forget about guidance...

The SMJLEDs can be purchased at the Sandwich Shoppe also, above.  If anyone wants to try it, you will want the CUT emitter verision.  The lens of the emitter is cut down to work better with a reflector like that of the Minimag.
- Terry

Offline dcohalla@sbcgobal.net

Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 05:14:59 AM
Okay...I have read that the IQ switch, whilst a cool idear, can cause up to 20% or better reduction of light output on the minimag, regardless of which led conversion  kit you use.  Anything to that?  (Sorry, don't recall which review I read it in.)

Do any of the minimag led conversions have any throw to them?  Saw a couple LED conversions that claimed 80 lumen output for 1.5 hrs.  Now, IMO that ain't bad...but is it just an 80 lumen area light?   >:D

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 03:50:50 PM
The Terralux is a great upgrade, but not a great thrower.  You really have to have a deep reflector for an LED to throw well, and there's just not enough room in the Minimag head to accomplish that.  There are some great "hotwire" (incandescent) upgrades for the MM, but they are mostly just really bright, "GEE WHIZ" lights with 15 minutes of runtime.

There are some great drop-in sandwiches at the Sandwich Shoppe (link below) that offer the kind of lumens you're talking about.  80 lumens is going to throw fairly well regardless of the depth of the reflector.  However, these upgrades are pricey, and you would probably be better off just buying a new Cree or Seoul P4 light that is purpose-built for its LED for about the same price.

If you're looking for a good tailcap clicky, IMO, you should forget about the Niteize stuff and get a Kroll.  The IQ switch, as you mention, adds too much resistance into the circuit and reduces output.  The Kroll is also much more waterproof and reliable.

You can find it here:

http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/product_info.php?products_id=65

or

http://www.em-mgt.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?preadd=action&key=000135
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 04:01:11 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

Offline dcohalla@sbcgobal.net

Reply #9 on: March 24, 2007, 08:22:48 AM
Is the Kroll switch similar to the one that comes on the Streamlight Luxeon Jr?  (I think that's name.)  That's a nice switch, and it does fit in a mini-Mag.   :)

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #10 on: June 17, 2007, 03:54:54 AM
Thread Ressurection!!

Does that Kroll switch let you use the mini mag in candle mode?
[

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #11 on: June 17, 2007, 06:28:04 AM
You won't be able to stand the minimag on it's end with the Kroll switch.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%