Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Knots!

ca Offline Shane769

• No Life Club
  • Gone Climbing.
Re: Knots!
Reply #30 on: December 13, 2009, 06:46:42 AM
Shane I think you got some of those pics mixed up...pic one and two are identical :D

Hmmm... It appears you are right... let me go edit that :-\
"I would rather live 40 years of excitement and fun and exhilarating and just WOOOO, full volume, then 80 years of la di di di da... you know... boring. Why not get out there and live it?!"

ca Offline Shane769

• No Life Club
  • Gone Climbing.
Reply #31 on: December 13, 2009, 06:50:04 AM
Ahh the good ol' granny :P

The trucker looks more complicated than it really is. If you can't find the video....

You tie the rope you are using to the tarp/canoe/whatever you are securing, and just down from there, however far you want really, twist the rope into a loop, and then twist it again, so it twists 2 or 3 times with the loop still there. Then from the still loose end, make another loop fairly close to the original one, maybe 4 inches or so. Push that loop through the original one. The still loose end should still be outside the original loop, and that is what you loop around the hook you are securing too. Once you have looped that around the hook, pull it through to secondary loop, and double back towards the hook, pulling until desired tightness. Then just throw in 2 half hitches to make sure it isn't going anywhere, and you got yourself a Trucker. :tu:

And here are some pictures, taken from me securing my tv stand to my lamp. The lamp is the hook for this purpose.

(Image removed from quote.) Twists in the rope for the original loop.
(Image removed from quote.) Secondary loop right after. In this picture the loop is wrong, should be loose end under, not over.
(Image removed from quote.) Through each other.
(Image removed from quote.) Attached and back through secondary loop.
(Image removed from quote.) Pull to desired tension.
(Image removed from quote.) Two half hitches to secure the whole thing, and also shows full structure.
Fixed.
"I would rather live 40 years of excitement and fun and exhilarating and just WOOOO, full volume, then 80 years of la di di di da... you know... boring. Why not get out there and live it?!"

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #32 on: December 13, 2009, 09:39:07 PM

I'm going to try that knot later tonight.
[

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #33 on: January 05, 2010, 09:03:40 AM
Great thread  :tu: I don't know that many knots but I have to know a few , Bowline , round turn and two half hitches , clove hitch , sheet Bend etc. although I'm about to learn a few more as I start my cliff training with the coastguard .
   When working on the river we mostly use a clove hitch to moor boats up and its something we can tie at quite a speed before the boat is taken by the tide .

For anyone who is interested in knots this website is worth its wait in gold    http://www.animatedknots.com/

Dunc

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #34 on: January 05, 2010, 12:20:46 PM
That is a great site Dunc - made sense of a few for me anyway  :tu:
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

spam Offline zepla

• No Life Club
  • Where is all that water coming from?!
Reply #35 on: January 05, 2010, 12:46:24 PM
Great site indeed  :tu:

I tie a lot of knots only seem to use two or three at most. I use that bowline knot the most, by far. Easy to knot and easy to un-knot, even when it's pulled by a big load.

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
  • Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
Reply #36 on: January 20, 2010, 12:56:54 AM
Ok, now that you have done well with stoppers, knots, hitches, half hitches, bends you need to work on your splicing and line whipping. :D

For everyone else here is a decent page (there are many more) for knots and whatnot:
http://www.realknots.com/

Mike
Common sense ..... so rare, it's virtually a super power.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #37 on: January 20, 2010, 08:58:11 AM
Ok, now that you have done well with stoppers, knots, hitches, half hitches, bends you need to work on your splicing and line whipping. :D

For everyone else here is a decent page (there are many more) for knots and whatnot:
http://www.realknots.com/

Mike

Thanks for the link   :tu: Some good stuff on there .

Dunc

ca Offline Shane769

• No Life Club
  • Gone Climbing.
Reply #38 on: April 16, 2010, 11:17:15 PM
I don't think I would ever tie into a harness with anything other than a Figure Eight Follow-Through. :-\

And yeah, I don't think I ever actually use it, even in rope rescue, although I know how to use it in that situation.
I retract this statement slightly. A new buddy and climbing partner of mine ties in with a bowline, and he swears by it, as long as it has proper security to it. He ties a double bowline, and then a double stopper knot, and never has a problem untying after a hangdog route. Really easy to untie after getting pumped, unlike the Figure Eight, which can bind after loading.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #39 on: April 16, 2010, 11:20:42 PM
I don't think I would ever tie into a harness with anything other than a Figure Eight Follow-Through. :-\

And yeah, I don't think I ever actually use it, even in rope rescue, although I know how to use it in that situation.
I retract this statement slightly. A new buddy and climbing partner of mine ties in with a bowline, and he swears by it, as long as it has proper security to it. He ties a double bowline, and then a double stopper knot, and never has a problem untying after a hangdog route. Really easy to untie after getting pumped, unlike the Figure Eight, which can bind after loading.

Yup.  The biggest risk is:

It is easy to mistie the double bowline when exhausted.

us Offline BlueDot

Reply #40 on: April 17, 2010, 04:26:57 AM

Great thread. 
I knew a lot of these from Boy Scouts, but now just basic half hitches & such to tie things down and what not.  Made a monkey fist a month back to impress a neighbor kid.   :-\
There are just 10 types of people in the world:  those who understand binary number systems, and those who don't

ca Offline Shane769

• No Life Club
  • Gone Climbing.
Reply #41 on: April 17, 2010, 07:23:09 PM

Yup.  The biggest risk is:

It is easy to mistie the double bowline when exhausted.
Yeah looks that way. We always double check before we go up at least, plus all of our trips these days seem to be these slow pace days, no one is really tired.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%