Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Multitool TLC

J-sews · 109 · 78281

Offline shadowulf

Re: Multitool TLC
Reply #90 on: September 03, 2016, 09:54:22 PM
Personally I swear by ballistol (a rather good oil) on edc items once every couple months. other items once when it looks like they need it. its the duct tape of oils imho (plus you could probably drink it its that food safe) another upside is it eats rust!

was not familiar with this product,   it does look safe, but the warning is sort of odd

Ballistol does not contain ingredients considered hazardous by the FDA. It does not contain any ingredients which may be harmful for warm-blooded organisms, reptiles or aquatic organisms (if used as directed). If swallowed, DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING, ASPIRATION CAN OCCUR. CONSULT A PHYSICIAN IMMEDIATELY.

if it is so safe, why do I need to contact a physician?
Balistol has mineral spirits as an ingredient, fairly safe for external use, not good for internal use.

It's one of my favorites for use with my "wood & steel" guns. It is safe for most finishes and handy for treating and removing rust. That said, it's okay for a protective oil. It can be washed off, but pretty durable otherwise.

I've been tempted to run my LMs through the dishwasher, after a citrus degreaser. But usually, I rinse them in clean water and apply a good gun lube to the pivots. Then work the lube into the pivot, wiping the dirt/rust/grime away as it works out of the pivot joint.

This usually works well for several months, but I try to do this every 3 to 4 months. It's a habit I got into being in a trade that uses hand tools all the time.

us Offline Joseph Gonzalez

Reply #91 on: September 06, 2016, 02:46:37 AM
Just had a funny picture run through my head. I know some people with access to an air compressor use them to clean out their tools. I don't have any to use, and I was thinking about where I could go to use one. I remebered that they have compressors at gas stations to fill tires, and then I just pictured myself standing in a parking lot outside a gas station using the compressor to clean multi-tools...  :D Truly absurd! What won't I think of next.

If you do it, make sure to post a video on YouTube! Be sure to include people's reactions after they walk up and ask you what you're doing!  :facepalm:
Regards,

Joe Gonzalez

"Build a man a fire and keep him warm for a day; set him on fire and keep him warm for the rest of his life."

Offline benjigoh

Reply #92 on: March 05, 2017, 09:30:19 AM
hi guys, anyone here has got problem with their LM developing spot rust? I currently own a Wave and started noticing that the LM is having rust spots all over it. I have taken it apart once and tried to remove as much of it as possible. However a couple of weeks later, the spots are back. And this time round I think they bought a couple of backups along. Any idea on how I can prevent them from appearing? Kinda reluctant to soak the whole unit into oil. TIA. Cheers ;)

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #93 on: June 04, 2017, 10:47:04 PM
Most stainless steels are stainless because the chrome will react with oxygen on the surface and make a thin surface film that prevents rust. If that surface film is disturbed or scratched the exposed chrome will again react with oxygen and form a new film. This works great in air.

It might still rust in environments or in spots if the surface is contact with something that breaks down the film faster than it can heal. That might be case if coming into touch with aggresive acids or salts - and in particular if combined with blockage of oxygen, or generally little oxygen in the environment. (Most stainless will suffer in common sea water). Basically cleaning and polishing so nasty stuff don't get stuck often helps. (Victorinox doesn't polish their stuff just to make it look shiny).

Another common issue is surface contamination with non-stainless steel. Such inclusions will rust, and they are easier to get than you'd think. Brushing using non stainless steel brushes, or tools/ sharpeners used with normal steel, rough contact with normal steel, or even worse welding spatter, will tend to start surface rust going.

Not sure if any of those apply to your case, but things to have in mind for the common stainless steel types.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 10:50:33 PM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #94 on: September 05, 2017, 12:27:18 PM
It is TLC related...  :whistle:
What's the highest sandpaper grit you need when polishing sak tools and scales?  :think:
1500? 9000?
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #95 on: September 11, 2017, 07:01:35 AM
I guess no one reads El stickies.  :D

All hail the hook!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #96 on: September 11, 2017, 07:08:19 AM
I guess no one reads El stickies.  :D
You should have known...

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #97 on: February 22, 2018, 08:38:57 AM
 :rofl:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #98 on: February 22, 2018, 09:09:27 AM
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #99 on: February 22, 2018, 11:23:09 AM
Spoiler alert: Pabs was in the tumble weed.

All hail the hook!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #100 on: February 22, 2018, 12:48:33 PM
Spoiler alert: Pabs was in the tumble weed.
Seeing how many turns it made...
Plausible

us Offline MastyrOfPuppitz

Reply #101 on: March 20, 2018, 04:55:00 PM
After over half a decade last week my Charge ALX got minor service. Sprayed with WD-40. Cleaned out using a paper towel, q-tips, and a Gum soft pick. Then I coated with WD-40 silicone spray and wiped off with a rag.
A day without learning is a day without living.

us Offline JustinCase

Reply #102 on: March 13, 2019, 05:05:50 PM
After over half a decade last week my Charge ALX got minor service. Sprayed with WD-40. Cleaned out using a paper towel, q-tips, and a Gum soft pick. Then I coated with WD-40 silicone spray and wiped off with a rag.

Good choice in lubricant :tu: The water resistant WD-40 SpeSmurfpillst silicone is fantastic! I really like it because is not as heavy as lithium lubricant. Barely spritzed on my multi-tools and pocket knives and they open/close super smooth. A great product for small tools.
“It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I try a little longer to solve the problem"

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #103 on: May 10, 2019, 07:19:54 PM
Just read the WD40 comment, and just wanna share some of my experience. 

Long ago I stored a Wave in a plastic drawer, thinking with the WD40 bath it took and the dry weather, it should be safe for long term storage. 

I kinda forgot about that Wave in the drawer, and many months later, it developed rust across the entire handle and within the tools.  All the other LMs have survived more humid weather with no lube(except joints), but how wrong I was about WD40 and its 'rust prevention'. 

Till this day, I still don't thoroughly understand what might have happened, but hardly any rust spots have developed ever since I abandoned using WD40.

Offline Scorpion Regent

Reply #104 on: November 21, 2019, 11:03:58 PM
To clean out tight spaces I twist up a small scrap of paper into a rigid swab.    Occasionally I rinse out my SAKs and GAK with water.  For my every day MTs and knives I use what ever oil is handy, very often it's cooking oil.   The tools and knives that get stuck in drawers I grease with Sil Glyde.  I use compressed shop air to blow out dirt and grime a couple times a year.  I have never encountered a knife or multi tool that required chemicals to clean, but I would use brake clean spray if I did.

Offline Scorpion Regent

Reply #105 on: November 21, 2019, 11:08:31 PM
Just read the WD40 comment, and just wanna share some of my experience. 

Long ago I stored a Wave in a plastic drawer, thinking with the WD40 bath it took and the dry weather, it should be safe for long term storage. 

I kinda forgot about that Wave in the drawer, and many months later, it developed rust across the entire handle and within the tools.  All the other LMs have survived more humid weather with no lube(except joints), but how wrong I was about WD40 and its 'rust prevention'. 

Till this day, I still don't thoroughly understand what might have happened, but hardly any rust spots have developed ever since I abandoned using WD40.

I had a similar experience with WD 40.  I stored tools coated with WD 40 inside a sealed ammo can 6 months later they were covered in rust.  I won't buy it any more and only use it as a last resort.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #106 on: November 22, 2019, 12:36:08 AM
I have never encountered a knife or multi tool that required chemicals to clean, but I would use brake clean spray if I did.

I'll just add that one need to be careful with brake cleaning products, and in particular those for spraying which disperses all around in the air. Quite a few brake cleaning products contain hydrofluoric acid. While that no doubt makes them effective it also puts them firmly in the dangerous category.

Hydrofluoric acid is not only an acid and a poison if you eat or breath it, but also a contact poison. Thus if you get some on your skin it will go into your system. Once entered in some way it does the full range from flu sympoms and skin destruction, via serious diseases and bone dissolving, to causing cardiac arrest or internal organ failure. Hydrofluoric acid do maim and kill people so please be aware of it and treat it with respect if you have to use it.

Personally I don't consider cleaning wheels or anything else important enough to risk exposure, so I make sure any such products don't contain hydrofluoric acid before I get them. (To the degree I trust the brand product label in the first place that is).
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

Offline TX Tool Crib

• New User
Reply #107 on: April 14, 2020, 09:04:31 AM
After adding a cable cutting tool to my Leatherman Surge, I decided to modify it to fit my needs. I will be adding and modifying several things going forward in the hope of building my perfect multi tool.

https://youtu.be/b5O_PaNl9x4

Offline tom q vaxy

Re: Multi-Tool TLC
Reply #108 on: September 23, 2022, 02:35:13 AM
....one grain between the pivots gives me  the heebie-jeebies. ...

omg; he said "heebie-jeebies!"

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $279.86
PayPal Fees: $14.66
Net Balance: $265.20
Below Goal: $34.80
Site Currency: USD