Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Bladeless Battle

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
The Bladeless Battle
on: December 10, 2009, 04:18:33 AM
A showdown of two knifeless multitools. Coming soon. Pictures now: http://arilab.atspace.com/bladeless

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Re: The Bladeless Battle
Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 07:05:30 AM
Thanks for the Pic's,that Paladin looks interesting,I already have a Fuse.
 :cheers:& :salute:

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 07:25:41 AM
Look forward to the review mate :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 12:31:10 PM
Good idea  :tu:
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

au Offline peterxyz

Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 09:08:37 AM
Nice - I too have a fuse, but I haven't gotten around to converting one of my PowerPliers to knifeless ... just can't bring myselfg to take stuff off them !

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 09:34:46 AM
I got distracted, but here it is:

The Bladeless Battle

Introduction
This is my comparison review of two bladeless multitools, my modified Paladin PT-510, and my friend’s Leatherman Knifeless Fuse. The stock PT-510 is very similar to the SOG Power Pocket Pliers, except with a slightly different tool setup and the welcome addition of the gear covers. Like most SOG multitools, the Paladin multitools can be easily modified by swapping handle components. I modified my PT-510, taking out the combo-edge blade and some useless washers and added in scissors and a large flathead screwdriver. It took a little bit of work to get the scissors in, I followed this guide: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,4433.0.html . The Knifeless Fuse is identical to a normal Fuse, except a file replaces the plain-edge blade. Sadly, unlike the normal Fuse, it is not available in black-oxide.
Before I start talking about these two tools, it’s time for a bit of theory. Why would you want a bladeless multitool? I can think of a few reasons. The first reason is that you use the tool in places blades aren’t allowed. The tools in this test come from this category. My friend and I are high school students who spend a lot (probably too much) time in the theater. A multitool is useful but a blade could get us in trouble. Another reason you may want a bladeless multitool is that you carry another blade, such as a Swiss Army Knife or dedicated folding knife, and don’t want the redundancy of carrying two blades. One last reason is that you don’t use a blade on your multitool that much anyway, so you rather replace it with another tool.

Size
The size and weight of these tools are comparable. The PT-510 is longer but thinner. Overall, these tools are at the big end of pocket carry.

Pliers
While the Zytel inserts make gripping the Fuse more comfortable, the PT-510’s pliers are still better. The Compound Leverage adds force, and I like the more pointy tips on the PT-510. Paladin says you can use the pliers to punch through drywall. I think I would get in trouble for making hole in the walls of the theater, so I haven’t tested this feature.

File
The Fuse wins this category. While neither tool has the excellent diamond file of a Wave, the Fuse’s file has more filing area. The Fuse also has a longer metal saw.

Drivers
Another win for the Fuse. The Fuse has nice long drivers, which also lock, unlike the PT-510. Even with the gear covers, the PT-510 is still uncomfortable to really press down on when driving screws. Also, Paladin/SOG chooses to use a Phillips #1 instead of the more common Phillips #2 Leatherman uses. My PT-510 has a dedicated large flathead and a smaller one the bottle opener. The Fuse has two dedicated drivers.

Scissors
As the only cutting tool on these tools, scissors are very important for these tools. The Leatherman scissors cut cleaner, but the SOG ones seem to be sturdier. They have about the same cutting length. The SOG scissors can get uncomfortable to press, but I fixed that with some electrical tape.

Extra features
Both tools can open bottles. With the components I have in my PT-510, it cannot open cans, while the Fuse can. The Fuse components lock, which on most multitools is a big deal. In this case, though, it doesn’t matter that much, because there is no way a blade is going to fold back on your fingers if there is no blade. It does make it so the drivers don’t fold, though. The PT-510 has the Paladin wirestripper notches component. I have heard it doesn’t work well, but I tried it out and it worked for me. This brings me to the PT-510’s best feature. The PT-510 can be outfitted with the tools you are most likely to use. For example, if I latter find that the wirestripper notches component doesn’t work, I can replace it a cap opener/small screwdriver and another component, maybe a Robertson driver. Swapping stuff out with the Fuse requires a lot more than a hex key and some Loctite. The Fuse has a lanyard ring; the PT-510 does not.

Sheath
The PT-510 clearly wins. I love the thick black leather snap-closure sheath that it comes with. The Fuse comes with either the standard Leatherman nylon or leather sheath, neither of which is that good.

Price
The Knifeless Fuse is around $35 online. I got my PT-510 for $41 online. Including cost of components, the price of a PT-510 is around $60. So is the Fuse a better deal? Well yes and no. If you want the least expensive good bladeless multitool, the Fuse wins. However, because I can swap the blade back into the PT-510 when I’m done with high school, it is like two tools in one, one bladeless and one with a blade.

Conclusion
Both tools are excellent. I would recommend either for a bladeless tool. Which one is better? If you don’t plan to need a tool with a blade in the future, the Fuse is the better value, just buy a good sheath. If you will need a tool with a blade latter, or you want to swap in exactly the components you want, go with the PT-510. I think more bladeless multitools will be coming out soon, as knife laws around the world tighten. I wonder what Victorinox could come up with? I know I would love to see a Spirit with the blade and awl removed and replaced with the Cybertool bit driver. I can dream, right?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%