Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Whats a goood everyday SAK's

Zed · 77 · 7201

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Whats a goood everyday SAK's
on: December 10, 2009, 06:11:44 AM
Ok ive had a climber a few years and it has lots of useful features ,ive got a esquire on its way but thats just as a new part of my collection as has no key ring attachment and not so many tools, i want to retire the climber as is still in good condition plus still have its box, im after a good everyday SAK with a medium blade, flat screw driver, a Phillips if possible as-well ,scissors and a file, also a key ring hoop, needs to be medium sized, i like the traveler but no Phillips, but is there anything with the tools i need, also what does evertone here carry everyday, thanks guys,

paul
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 06:21:46 AM by zed6309 »

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Re: Whats a goood everyday SAK's
Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 06:59:03 AM
Well, in 91mm and in the category of "stuff you can buy new and easily", the Mountaineer sounds about the closest. You need to use the can opener as your phillips, though.

Can opener Phillips doesn't do it for you? In the category of "stuff you can buy new but not quite as easy" is the Mountaineer Lite. Same as above, but with a LED/Phillips layer. Very thick - the LED layer is about as thick as two, so consider it a 6 layer knife (a la a Ranger). I've only seen these for sale in Europe, though*. 

Too thick? Well, maybe a Mountaineer with a Phillips instead of a corkscrew. Victorinox used to make this, and they called it a Grand Prix. This may actually be your perfect knife. They show up frequently on eBay* and unless two people decide they NEED that knife, typically go for < $20. I have two, and didn't pay more than $20 for either.

Last option is a semi-custom option - take a Trail Guide and swap the corkscrew for a phillips. Swapping just that tool doesn't require tearing the whole tool apart and is actually pretty easy. Trail Guides are a mid 90s vintage knife, but pop up pretty frequently used. In fact, I'll have one for sale in the next couple weeks.

EDC for me? Yeoman or custom made YeoTimer (Yeoman with Timekeeper scales).

*(Edit: just saw that you are, in fact, in Europe, so the Mountaineer Lite may not be a hassle for you. Also, knives on eBay are probably out, but finding a Grand Prix or Trail Guide here or from FelineVet is still do-able).
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 07:04:56 AM by jazzbass »

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 07:24:31 AM
You really can't go wrong with a Swisschamp in my opinion :)

A Ranger's a good option if you think the Swisschamp might be too bulky for you :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 07:33:26 AM
Thanks guys for all this info, i like the look of the grand prix , im going to look at the ranger as well, i still like my climber but sometimes think its a little bulky,there are certain things i use alot, the main blade as use it to sharpen my pencils as do drawing etc, the screw drivers now and then, bottle opener is handy,and tin opener, things i dont use that much, cork opener, ans scissors,this knife would be used for campimg now and then as well ,im off to check out the ranger  :climber:

paul   

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 07:45:14 AM
I just checked out the ranger and possibly too big, so far the grand prix looks a winner although has scissors , i really want to collecting SAK's but want one that dedicted for use everyday,but not to bulky and a Phillips instead of a cork screw and no scissors would be great, until i got into SAK's i never realized they made so many .

paul

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 07:55:42 AM
I just checked out the ranger and possibly too big, so far the grand prix looks a winner although has scissors , i really want to collecting SAK's but want one that dedicted for use everyday,but not to bulky and a Phillips instead of a cork screw and no scissors would be great, until i got into SAK's i never realized they made so many .

paul

No scissors, huh? So what you really want is a Motorist:

Very rare and hard to find, and expensive as hell when you do (if the other person knows what they have).

I still think a Trail Guide with phillips mod is where it's at for you. Three layers and all the tools you want. Good luck with the search.

ca Offline Shane769

• No Life Club
  • Gone Climbing.
Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 08:32:29 AM
See for me, the Lumberjack variant that jazzbass did is what I would want for an EDC. Main blade, cap lifter flathead driver, saw, and phillips driver, with the toothpick and tweezers of course. But sounds to me like it's about what you want, just replace the saw with a file. :tu:
"I would rather live 40 years of excitement and fun and exhilarating and just WOOOO, full volume, then 80 years of la di di di da... you know... boring. Why not get out there and live it?!"

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 08:42:42 AM
now the Motorist looks spot on, but as will be hanging off of my keyring everyday probably to rare and expensive  :( now off to check the lumberjack lol  :D

paul

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 08:52:06 AM
Ok i think ive found it, 1 X 91MM TINKER MODEL

and possibly the - Deluxe Tinker model  for when i go camping it up  :climber: lol
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 09:26:54 AM by zed6309 »

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 12:18:09 PM
Hold on! don't rule out this  :D explorer with saw  :D :D

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 12:35:13 PM
Hold on! don't rule out this  :D explorer with saw  :D :D
(Image removed from quote.)

lol tooo many options john  :climber: i will try and collect most SAK's in time, but the tinker seems about right for my key ring, i still cant believe the range of models, im going to have fun collecting these,

paul

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 01:43:20 PM
Try a Tinker Small. It's the same knife as the tinker, but a little smaller lengthwise.

here's a a tinker small vs a Super Tinker:

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
  • "When nothing goes right, go left"
Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 01:50:24 PM
I was going to suggest the Tinker if you could do without the scissors or a Super Tinker if you want the scissors.  But the super tinker is essentially the climber with a phillips instead of corkscrew...same thickness though.  If you use the can opener for phillips screws (which works fantastic by the way) then you should be set.  :)  Well, but you still don't have scissors. 
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 01:59:01 PM
the small tinker look spot on, and yeah dont use the scissors much so no loss, thanks guys as still a novice in the SAK world , and way to many to choose from, but i think to replace the climber i have the tinker will be a great little replacement .

paul

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 02:00:23 PM
The Tinker Small will simply vanish in your pocket.  You can carry it everyday and forget it's there.

The Tinker (and Tinker Small) and the Super Tinker are great SAKS. I EDC either a Tinker Small  or Super Tinker in my pocket, and a Swisstool on my belt.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 02:02:12 PM by shamus »

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #15 on: December 10, 2009, 02:17:14 PM
i to say Trail gUide with the philips/corkscrew swap... but if you are going for a tinker go the 84mm

the other idea is a Compact... with a philips swap :)
or a Waiter knife +combo tool ...with philips swap (aka apprentice)

If you are after the uncomplicated but mucho-screwdrivers thing just get a plain Compact and put one of these on the keyring

Made by Victoinox for the Swisscards
not the best image but it has two flat screwdrivers and two phillips... its coin sized ( i would say One brazilian Real :D but you can imagine a Euro dollar... but thinner)

The small flat s the same profile as the small on the canopener (or on a classic)
the large flat is the same profile as the bottle opener
The small phillips is the same profile as the mini philips on a Rambler
The large philips is the same profile as the philips on a tinker.

I have tested one out on a Suzuki 4wd Carburetor and pulling apart an ipod nano. They work as well as there full bodied sak counterparts. I keep one on the keyring with my sak (and another on my anklet....)
“A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost.”
- Terry Pratchett

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: December 10, 2009, 02:21:36 PM
Personally , I would caution you , the backspring phillips is near useless ( at least to me ) , cept it makes a world class fistload . Get an inline phillips if possible .

Chris

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: December 10, 2009, 03:11:57 PM
thanks again guys lots of ideas, this will be on my keyring and want it smaller than my climber, want no cork screw and want a file and Phillips,and a flat head, and no scissors  ,TBH ill probably carry the climber in my bag, but i want this for all times, the thing i have noticed is SAK's reasonable price ,  :climber:

paul

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: December 10, 2009, 03:15:03 PM
I really like the Tinker Small and it's a great SAK but I had real trouble finding one for sale over here and ended up having to get one from the US.  

Another option might be to look at a Wenger Evo 11:  http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=EVO+11

I don't have one myself but it look like it might be a good answer for you.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline bren10man

Reply #19 on: December 10, 2009, 03:18:43 PM
fieldmaster is what I would go for, or Grand Prix.

fieldmaster and grand prix are the same, but fieldmaster has wood saw, grand prix has file/metal saw/fingernail cleaner.

Or, get what I got my wife, a wenger Evo 16.  has no saw or small blade, but has fingernail file and cleaner, similar but bigger to what is on the Classic line.
MOLON LABE!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: December 10, 2009, 03:28:17 PM
I really like the Tinker Small and it's a great SAK but I had real trouble finding one for sale over here and ended up having to get one from the US.  

Another option might be to look at a Wenger Evo 11:  http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=EVO+11

I don't have one myself but it look like it might be a good answer for you.

i like the rubber gripped version , but The Reamer is another tool i dont use but lots seem to have  ???

yes i like the grand prix  :cheers:

so far the list,

Spartan Lite
tinker small
grand prix

decisions decisions   :climber:

paul
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 03:36:13 PM by zed6309 »

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #21 on: December 10, 2009, 03:50:18 PM
For a smaller-than-a-Climber SAK without a corkscrew, with a file, Phillips capability, flat head, and a lack of scissors, I'd have to recommend a Cadet, frankly.  As others have stated, the can opener's screwdriver can be used on Phillips screws, it has a nail file, the typical openers, and a nice blade.  Plus, it's definitely shorter and thinner than your Climber, and also lacks scissors.  Try one out. :)

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
  • "When nothing goes right, go left"
Reply #22 on: December 10, 2009, 03:54:52 PM
For a smaller-than-a-Climber SAK without a corkscrew, with a file, Phillips capability, flat head, and a lack of scissors, I'd have to recommend a Cadet, frankly.  As others have stated, the can opener's screwdriver can be used on Phillips screws, it has a nail file, the typical openers, and a nice blade.  Plus, it's definitely shorter and thinner than your Climber, and also lacks scissors.  Try one out. :)
Honestly I was thinking this too but I wasn't sure if you wanted a nail file or a bigger file (like on the Mountaineer).  Cadets are awesome!!  Great price, well built, I carry one everywhere regardless of what else I might have on me.  They are my true EDC I guess.  Just have to decide on a color everyday!  :)  The only downside I can think of to putting them on a key chain is that if you go with a colored one they will scratch easily.  But you could solve that by getting a silver one.  :) 
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: December 10, 2009, 03:56:30 PM
ok guys im off to check out the cadet  :cheers:

paul

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: December 10, 2009, 03:58:15 PM
The Cadet is a good thought, nice and slim if you want to put it on a keyring. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: December 10, 2009, 04:07:12 PM
The Cadet is a good thought, nice and slim if you want to put it on a keyring. :tu:

yeah just checked it out and seems spot on,

so  :climber:
cadet
partan Lite
tinker small
grand prix

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #26 on: December 10, 2009, 05:51:16 PM

so  :climber:
cadet
Spartan Lite
tinker small
grand prix

From the list, I'd recommend removing the Spartan Lite; not only is it larger than the Climber you have now, but it also includes the Corkscrew you don't want.  Beyond that, the Grand Prix is going to be the same size as your Climber, while the Tinker Small (excellent knife, in itself) lacks a file of any kind.  From the list, only the Cadet has exactly what you want. :)

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: December 10, 2009, 06:02:04 PM

so  :climber:
cadet
Spartan Lite
tinker small
grand prix

From the list, I'd recommend removing the Spartan Lite; not only is it larger than the Climber you have now, but it also includes the Corkscrew you don't want.  Beyond that, the Grand Prix is going to be the same size as your Climber, while the Tinker Small (excellent knife, in itself) lacks a file of any kind.  From the list, only the Cadet has exactly what you want. :)

think i added it because of the Phillips at one end, but didnt realize it was bigger, thanks

paul

cadet
tinker small
grand prix  

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #28 on: December 10, 2009, 06:05:29 PM

cadet
Spartan Lite
tinker small
grand prix

From the list, I'd recommend removing the Spartan Lite; not only is it larger than the Climber you have now, but it also includes the Corkscrew you don't want.  Beyond that, the Grand Prix is going to be the same size as your Climber, while the Tinker Small (excellent knife, in itself) lacks a file of any kind.  From the list, only the Cadet has exactly what you want. :)

think i added it because of the Phillips at one end, but didnt realize it was bigger, thanks

paul

cadet
tinker small
grand prix  

No problem; I'd recommend, in true MT.O fashion, get all three, and then decide.  :D

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: December 10, 2009, 06:07:23 PM

cadet
Spartan Lite
tinker small
grand prix

paul

cadet
tinker small
grand prix  

No problem; I'd recommend, in true MT.O fashion, get all three, and then decide.  :D

im sure i will in the end mate lol

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD