Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

something a little different.

Offline navihawk

something a little different.
on: December 15, 2009, 03:07:02 AM
I wonder if Tim didn't get his idea from this. Its old

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: something a little different.
Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 03:59:50 AM
An oldie but goody Navihawk. :tu: Fine example of a late 1800's multitool you have there.

I've often wondered whether Tim Leatherman was aware of these folding scissors BEFORE he came up with his PST design, or AFTER. One thing can be certain, these old scissors played an important role in Leatherman history. Here is an excerpt from an article about Tim from ten years ago:

.......Leatherman ended up finding the wider market he had hoped for. After it appeared in a Seattle mail order catalog in 1983, the device became an overnight success. The first model sold more than one million units a year at about $45 apiece, making Leatherman instantly rich. His tool showed up on all sorts of belts, from NASA astronauts on three space shuttle flights to Hells Angels bikers.
Leatherman Tool Group Inc. has sold 35.2 million pocket tools worldwide since incorporation on July 5, 1983, about 26 million in the United States.
Some 90 percent of the owners are men. Yet about half the tools are bought by women as gifts for men, according to company spokesman Mark Baker.
With success came imitators, many from companies that initially rejected the idea.
As a young inventor, Leatherman lacked money to hire a lawyer to patent the folding handles. The patent was complicated because somebody had already patented a folding scissors in the 1800s, he said.
Lacking a patent, Leatherman lost a trademark case against tool giant Cooper's ToolzAll multi-tool in appeals that went to the U.S. Supreme Court. Other manufacturers now had an open door to copy the design....

So, an interesting bit of history you've got there sir. :salute:
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 04:01:58 AM by J-sews »
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 06:42:42 AM
"Leatherman lost a trademark case against tool giant Cooper's ToolzAll multi-tool in appeals that went to the U.S. Supreme Court."

I wonder why they didn't sue Bear & Son?
(

Offline Magnus

Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 11:56:34 AM
and, what has a trademark got to do with a design patent anyway?
[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 04:30:05 AM
As I understand it, Tim Leatherman was unable to patent a folding handles plier (because of the earlier folding scissor patent). So therefore when Cooper/ToolzAll came out with a tool that was virtually identical to the PST, Leatherman was unable to claim patent infringement. Instead they attempted to convince the court that the basic appearance of the PST was a Leatherman trademark, and the Cooper/ToolZall tool was in violation of that.

The courts apparently did not agree. :-\

(by the way, I'm no lawyer, the above is simply my limited understanding of what happened)  
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 04:24:00 AM
That's probably about right Bob. To the uneducated, any butterfly folding pliers design is often referred to as "a Leatherman". I bet LTG were trying to play on that. Not the most convincing argument if the patent had been denied though.

I used to come here a lot.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 06:26:18 AM
Thats a very interesting bit of history, that old one kind of looks like a butterfly knife ,i would love to pick up one of those i guess there pretty rare ?

paul

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 02:11:42 AM
Happily they do seem to show up regularly on ebay. :) There are loads of different handle styles, and at least three types of spring mechanism.

Here are a few pics I posted a long long time ago, in a different forum far far away....

The "series 1, 2 and 3" refer to the different types of spring methods. :)

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 02:17:57 AM
The Micra's great grandaddy :)
I used to come here a lot.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 05:46:30 AM
thanks for posting that J-sews  love the mother of pearl handled series #2  :tu: i bet hard to get here in the uk, what do they come under on ebay ? Mt  :-\

paul

Offline navihawk

Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 12:45:41 PM
Great pics J-sews. Any idea who made mine? I saw some names on some of the ones you showed. What were the brands and country of origin? Any idea the age?
Thanks,
steve

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: December 24, 2009, 02:42:07 AM
Navi, yours is what I call a series 2, because of the little leaf springs. Earlier series 1 versions used "pusher bars" which pushed against brass leafs, while later series 3 versions used a hidden "clothes pin" type spring at the scissor pivot itself. (look closely at my pictures above to see the differences in the spring mechanisms)

Based on that, yours was probably made in Germany in the 1930's. Many from this era were exported to England, although it seems some also came directly to the U.S. Logos and brand names stamped on the scissor were generally that of the importer company, not the original maker.

(Incidentally, I've seen literally dozens like yours that have either one or both of the little leaf springs broken. :( They are quite fragile. You may want to consider storing yours in the unfolded position, so there is not a continuous stress on these springs)

More:
Here is the U.S. patent on these scissors from 1907. The German patent is even earlier. Notice how even back then they thought of using the handles as a measuring ruler. :)

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #12 on: December 24, 2009, 06:52:58 AM
Thanks for posting the pics and patent, J-sews.  Very interesting to see the 1907 patent.

Do you have or have you seen an example with detatchable knife blade, saw, etc. as shown in the patent?

Did anyone think to fit pliers into one of these back in that era?  Was Leatherman actually the first to do that?

N

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: December 24, 2009, 10:31:50 PM
I've never seen the detachable blades on an old folding tool. :think:

As regards folding pliers though, there was this one made in Solingen and imported by ABCo in the 1960's.

Funny that it took so long - 1900's to 1960's - for someone to apply the same principle to pliers that the scissors used over half a century earlier.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: December 24, 2009, 10:37:40 PM
I even did a video about the ABCo a couple years ago. (WARNING: extremely boring narrator) :P

Offline navihawk

Reply #15 on: December 26, 2009, 07:41:26 PM
Thanks for all the info J-Sews. I will open mine up too.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #16 on: December 26, 2009, 08:25:37 PM
(WARNING: extremely boring narrator) :P
That's the understatement of the year.. ZZZZzzzzz..  :D :D
Just kiddin', Cool video..  ;) :tu:

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: December 27, 2009, 12:57:02 AM
(WARNING: extremely boring narrator) :P
That's the understatement of the year.. ZZZZzzzzz..  :D :D
Just kiddin', Cool video..  ;) :tu:

I'll ring a bell at the end of my next video so folks will know its time to wake up. :D

Offline navihawk

Reply #18 on: December 31, 2009, 05:41:18 PM
Nice video J-Sews. Proof of pre leatherman tools.The blades have a nice snap too.

Offline leonardo

Reply #19 on: July 27, 2010, 07:26:42 PM
just amaizing! mother of the micra!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20