Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

new vic tool?

us Offline Tsquare

new vic tool?
on: December 16, 2009, 03:30:03 PM
Has anyone heard any news or rumors about a new vic plier tool?  Saw something on another forum about it.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: new vic tool?
Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 03:36:55 PM
I have been grilling some contacts at Victorinox in the US and while they know of a few new SAKs coming out, they say they know nothing about a new plier tool.  I wouldn't put too much stock in that as I was the one who told them what the Spirit X was, and convinced them to import/distribute it here.  It's very likely that something is being done in Switzerland that hasn't come across yet.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 04:24:05 PM
Fingers crossed it'll be a full size tool with Slippie blades :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 04:42:05 PM
I have been grilling some contacts at Victorinox in the US and while they know of a few new SAKs coming out, they say they know nothing about a new plier tool.  I wouldn't put too much stock in that as I was the one who told them what the Spirit X was, and convinced them to import/distribute it here.  It's very likely that something is being done in Switzerland that hasn't come across yet.

Def

:pok: New SAKs?  Like what? :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 04:45:20 PM
Here is the email I got from the top man in the US:

Grant,

I am not certain which tools you are referring to. Here is a quick rundown of some new products. One there is a new tool for the Dutch Army ( yet unnamed) that has two one handed openings, a traditional blade and a parachute blade. Second we are extending the dual density handle into a number of the the 111 locking products in red/black. Last there are a number of electronic products, the Presentation Master is now ready and has some significant improvements from the original prototype you saw at the Shot Show last year. As well there is a new family called Victorinox Secure which have all the attributes of the Presentation Master with the exception of the Blue Tooth technology and the laser. Last there is a product we have nick named the garage door opener which can activate a variety of electronic products. I hope this helps, I can fill you in on the details at the show.

Rick

Now you know as much as I do!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 04:49:42 PM
What's a dual density handle? o.O

Out from the new models, the only one I'll be getting is the Dutch Army model, the others don't sound interesting.

A garage door opener?  Huh.  Yeah, give me 84mm scissors and 93mm scissors and bring back the alox Soldier and an affordable non-collectible Heritage Vic and I'll be happy.  With that said, it looks like, for now, the only new Vics I "need" next year is the new Soldier, the new Dutch Soldier, and a Rescue Tool.  :shrug:

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 05:01:52 PM
if im not wrong would "dual density" mean more 111mm with scales like the ones in the OHSoldier? but red with black details? ..........pretty please :gimme:
A

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 05:02:43 PM
What's a dual density handle? o.O

Out from the new models, the only one I'll be getting is the Dutch Army model, the others don't sound interesting.

A garage door opener?  Huh.  Yeah, give me 84mm scissors and 93mm scissors and bring back the alox Soldier and an affordable non-collectible Heritage Vic and I'll be happy.  With that said, it looks like, for now, the only new Vics I "need" next year is the new Soldier, the new Dutch Soldier, and a Rescue Tool.  :shrug:

I'm guessing the stuff the new Soldier is made out of.  I totally agree with your wish list though, other than the DAK I'm not to excited and even that I'll very likely not buy.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 05:14:01 PM
I wonder when Wenger is comming out with new tools. Also I can't see Vic making a new plier based multitool as the current ones are perfect as is.
(

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 05:18:01 PM
I wonder when Wenger is comming out with new tools. Also I can't see Vic making a new plier based multitool as the current ones are perfect as is.

So you don't think there is any room for something like the LM Juice range? Or a Vice grip type tool?  Or perhaps something totally different? 

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 05:21:49 PM
I have news about Wenger too... basically they say they will have nothing new at the show, with 5 (I think) new knives being released throughout the year.  They are concentrating on stabilizing and promoting the existing products at the moment rather than release too much too fast.  If you recall, they started this process last year, and I think it's a great idea.

Def

spam Offline zepla

• No Life Club
  • Where is all that water coming from?!
Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 05:32:09 PM
Dutch Army Knife? Well, perhaps I should look into that..... as a Dutchman that is  ::)

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
  • Still has a SOGgy feeling
Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 05:36:21 PM

Just another weirdo with a beard :B:

Knight of the SOSAK and Defender of the sacred nail file

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: December 16, 2009, 05:54:46 PM
Hi

Around one month ago i asked Vic if they are planning any new SwissTool, and they sad no. I am very excited about this new knife/tool and i know absoultely nothing more. Have asked last week without any reply, they are keeping a secret for sure.
If i should make a guess it is a 111mm with an improved slide lock or new locking mechanism and maybe another steel. This is based on nothing other than feeling.
I remember when i asked them on the 111mm with slide lock that they mentioned that they was working on improving. This was in August 2008,i have not seen this improving yet?? maybe others can tell

NM :cheers:
Get more tools

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: December 16, 2009, 06:53:39 PM
I'm very excited for the new DAK, will have to get one for sure.

But all these "electronicy gagety"  knives, meh. Too much money for technology that won't last. 6 months and its obsolete.

I want some of the older models back, and like we always lament about, more diversity in tool combinations!
Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: December 16, 2009, 08:16:30 PM

So you don't think there is any room for something like the LM Juice range? Or a Vice grip type tool?  Or perhaps something totally different? 

Oh yes that would be good. I was thinking of them changing the design or something.
(

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: December 16, 2009, 09:19:28 PM
what about this

http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/866001/tp/1/

There has been a lot of promises in the past from a certain someone, and while he does have some contact with Victorinox, I would take a lot of what he says with a grain of salt.

Again, that's not to say something isn't in the works, I'm just saying that he isn't the most reliable source.

Def

Reply #17 on: December 16, 2009, 09:40:37 PM
what about this

http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/866001/tp/1/

There has been a lot of promises in the past from a certain someone, and while he does have some contact with Victorinox, I would take a lot of what he says with a grain of salt.

Again, that's not to say something isn't in the works, I'm just saying that he isn't the most reliable source.

Def
No, he's not is he ::)

de Offline duder

Reply #18 on: December 16, 2009, 09:42:37 PM
The source is Victorinox itself:

http://victorinoxcms.victorinox.ch/index.cfm?site=victorinox.ch&page=107&lang=D&action=show&for_thema=Taschenmesser&for_page=1&for_msg=20091126144010

Someone has asked about new items in 2010, and Vic says there will be a new "spectacular" tool which is not an update of the Swisstool or the Spirit.
But at this time nobody knows what it will be.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: December 16, 2009, 10:05:57 PM
Maybe a new Sport Ratchet?  :D

Def

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #20 on: December 16, 2009, 10:08:21 PM
Maybe a new Sport Ratchet?  :D

Def

quick everybody! run!!! :ahhh
A

gb Offline Craig

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: December 16, 2009, 10:49:00 PM

That would be great :) Maybe one half slip jointed with the blades on and the other half locking containing the screwdrivers like Gareth suggested a while back. I live in hope :)
Prone to daydreaming.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: December 17, 2009, 02:22:34 AM

That would be great :) Maybe one half slip jointed with the blades on and the other half locking containing the screwdrivers like Gareth suggested a while back. I live in hope :)

Ha, I'd forgotten about that, it was a good idea wasn't it.  Not like me at all. :think:

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #23 on: December 17, 2009, 05:05:59 AM
I'm very excited for the new DAK, will have to get one for sure.

But all these "electronicy gagety"  knives, meh. Too much money for technology that won't last. 6 months and its obsolete.

I want some of the older models back, and like we always lament about, more diversity in tool combinations!

Aaah planned obselecense...

Not muc good make a product so damn good as a victorinox and then realised that most people once they have one never need a second one. (Us freaks are probably 1 in 100 vic users)

Personally i would really see the folding pliers from the 120mm wenger line have a mini-me in the 85mm range, with the swissgrip replaced by the likes of the newranger 75, mike horn special etc it be nice to have the second coming of the wenger mini/pocketgrip.

Something simple a Two/three layer eg
 Large Blade, Combo tool (or either a flat phillips/nail file if you want a conventional opener layer)
Folding Plier layer,
metal saw/file (or wood saw, conventional opener layer, scissors etc etc)

and they could take it that bit further and have a backsprung 4mm Bit driver and have two bits at the base of the plier layer (cybertool-stylie)

Definatelly something to fit the swiss in the 'LM Juice' category  :tool:.

Why doesn't exist its like the ultimate global EDC  :ahhh
“A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost.”
- Terry Pratchett

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: December 17, 2009, 05:40:16 AM
I wonder if there will be an One hand opening Locksmith(I almost put OH but spelled it out in case anyones reading).
(

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #25 on: December 17, 2009, 05:35:35 PM
The source is Victorinox itself:

http://victorinoxcms.victorinox.ch/index.cfm?site=victorinox.ch&page=107&lang=D&action=show&for_thema=Taschenmesser&for_page=1&for_msg=20091126144010

Someone has asked about new items in 2010, and Vic says there will be a new "spectacular" tool which is not an update of the Swisstool or the Spirit.
But at this time nobody knows what it will be.

Slightly OT: in that cms there is a mention of a "brand-new" sharpener (#7.8714) which Vic suggests as the best for the wavy edge on Spirits, but I just can't find any info on it. ???

Offline grimm_kaosboy

Reply #26 on: December 18, 2009, 04:37:30 PM
I think a new sport ratchet would be cool...ONLY IF THE USE A METAL MECHANISM!
But in all honesty, its pretty much rendered "useless" by the ratchet upgrade available with the spirit. Unless you reeeeeeeeealy need the toothpick and tweezers. AND can't bear to also carry a classic :p
T

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #27 on: December 18, 2009, 10:13:27 PM
Whatever it is, put me down for three of them. :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #28 on: December 21, 2009, 08:08:54 PM
Would be nice if it had a one handed blade .

Dunc

Reply #29 on: December 21, 2009, 08:11:52 PM
Would be nice if it had a one handed blade .

Dunc
I'm not so sure given the way the UK's probably going :-\

And besides, with the domestic, German ect ect market's banning OH, why would Vic bother ???

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD