Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Swisstool or Supertool 300

Poll

So what would you choose? Swisstool or Supertool 300.

Swisstool
Supertool 300
Leather who?
Swiss? Knives and tool? I thought they made clocks.

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Swisstool or Supertool 300
on: December 17, 2009, 05:21:30 AM
I’m sitting her and listening to some good old fashion Metal and just started to wonder if I should EDC the Swisstool or the Supertool 300. I am sitting here and looking at both the tools and I can’t make up my mind, they are almost identical in size and weight and the tool lineup are basically the same.

Sure you can access all of the tools from the outside on the Swisstool but that isn’t so important for me and I like the clumping on the ST 300 when I need to use a tool. I like both of the pliers that are on them so that is not a deciding factor, the only thing that I don’t like on the Swisstool but love on the ST 300 is the can opener.

So I wonder what is the general opinion of these tools? If I had to choose between them then I would say the Supertool 300 just because of the can opener.
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Re: Swisstool or Supertool 300
Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 05:23:08 AM
Give me a Swisstool anyday.

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 05:28:30 AM
not having an actual swisstool but a spirit and having a ST300 and loving it id go for the ST300
A

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 05:42:22 AM
Hmm a tool entirely made in Switzerland or one that might be made in the US of parts from who knows where. I say go with the swisstool.
(

00 Offline jim guy

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 05:59:34 AM
dont matter where the LM parts come from if you break a st300 you need the proper tools. Ive put mine through hell and it comes back laughing at me!

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 06:20:55 AM
I voted the ST300.  The Swisstool may have outside opening tools and an overall better fit and finish, but some of the features on the 300 push it to the top of the heap for me; lots of cutting capability for wire and cable, nice long drivers, and an overall tank like feel :D

The Swisstool has the advantage of haveing more variations if you want scissors/rescue blade etc...
[

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 06:54:55 AM
For EDC I'd say Swisstool, the ST300 is more of a workhorse to me. :think:
Got those frog legs.

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 07:03:30 AM
SuperTool 300, now you`re ready!    :D
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

ca Offline Shane769

• No Life Club
  • Gone Climbing.
Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 07:07:52 AM
LEATHERMAN! :viking:

... Ahem... got that out of my system :D ;)
"I would rather live 40 years of excitement and fun and exhilarating and just WOOOO, full volume, then 80 years of la di di di da... you know... boring. Why not get out there and live it?!"

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 07:24:15 AM
Got to be the Swisstool :)

I trust no other tool, like I do that one :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 08:02:32 AM
Got to be the Swisstool :)

I trust no other tool, like I do that one :)

Now why did I think you would say Swisstool...........

Offline Magnus

Reply #11 on: December 17, 2009, 09:36:58 AM
Hmm a tool entirely made in Switzerland or one that might be made in the US of parts from who knows where. I say go with the swisstool.

so, the swisstool keeps perfect time but occasionally catches fire?

seriously, who cares where something is made, as long as it is made well, hell most tools are practically made by robots these days anyway.
[

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 02:29:37 PM

Because of that logic?  ::)

Probably the Supertool for me.
I'm back!!

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: December 17, 2009, 05:18:14 PM

Don't you always go with Leatherman anyway...
(

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: December 17, 2009, 05:19:01 PM

seriously, who cares where something is made, as long as it is made well, hell most tools are practically made by robots these days anyway.

I think Vics are assembled by hand and I know the knives are sharpened by hand.
(

Offline Precise

• I can haz multitoolz nowz?
Reply #15 on: December 17, 2009, 05:20:26 PM
Obviously, they are both garbage! You should get something else and send both of those clunkers over to me. I'll deal with them....

Eh, I don't have either (Wish I did..). Use the swisstool on MWF and the st300 on TThSa and if a SOG isn't available for Sunday's, alternate every other Sunday between the two.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: December 17, 2009, 05:24:46 PM

Depends on what it is to be used for.  Usually I will as I like how they function and they fit my needs best, but that's not to say that I dislike anything else because of where it is made which seems to be your hole ethos for absolutely everything (look in my sig line I think you'll find both Vic and LM in there).  It used to be just Chinese stuff that is crap, are Leathermans next on the list ALP because some of the parts aren't made in the good ol' US of A?

Bottom line is I like quality tools and couldn't care less where the sodding thing is made.
I'm back!!

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: December 17, 2009, 05:32:52 PM
Excluding the kick fuse and blast a lot of the newer leathermans I've seen haven't been cosistant in quality( loose screwdrivers on Squirts, grind marks on a micra knife, poor finishing on the bits, Charge handles that don't match, crude OH holes, etc.) I'm willing to bet that wouldn't happen if it was made in one place like Vics are(the worse I've seen on a Vic or Wenger is excess plastic on the scales and thats easily fixed.)
(

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #18 on: December 17, 2009, 05:33:08 PM

Depends on what it is to be used for.  Usually I will as I like how they function and they fit my needs best, but that's not to say that I dislike anything else because of where it is made which seems to be your hole ethos for absolutely everything (look in my sig line I think you'll find both Vic and LM in there).  It used to be just Chinese stuff that is crap, are Leathermans next on the list ALP because some of the parts aren't made in the good ol' US of A?

Bottom line is I like quality tools and couldn't care less where the sodding thing is made.

:o :D

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: December 17, 2009, 05:35:37 PM

:o :D

I can be way more colourful than that.  :D
I'm back!!

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #20 on: December 17, 2009, 05:37:48 PM
Taking the term "sodding" literaly brings up some rather "intrusive" mental images... :P :D

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: December 17, 2009, 05:38:31 PM
Child  ::) :D
I'm back!!

Offline Magnus

Reply #22 on: December 17, 2009, 05:43:14 PM

so, the machine made parts are thrown together by hand like lego bricks and given five seconds on a belt grinder by a person then?
[

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: December 17, 2009, 05:46:12 PM

so, the machine made parts are thrown together by hand like lego bricks and given five seconds on a belt grinder by a person then?
Yes?
(

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #24 on: December 17, 2009, 08:34:29 PM
Excluding the kick fuse and blast a lot of the newer leathermans I've seen haven't been cosistant in quality( loose screwdrivers on Squirts, grind marks on a micra knife, poor finishing on the bits, Charge handles that don't match, crude OH holes, etc.) I'm willing to bet that wouldn't happen if it was made in one place like Vics are(the worse I've seen on a Vic or Wenger is excess plastic on the scales and thats easily fixed.)

And I'm willing to bet that the one Squirt you've ever had isn't enough to form a judgement that anyone will take seriously ALP  ::)

The reality is, you pre-judge these things based on where they were made and the important things are irrelevant to you.

Don't get me wrong - I think you are entitled to your opinion as much as anyone is, but it ain't half boring reading the same sh1te over and over.....

I used to come here a lot.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #25 on: December 17, 2009, 08:52:50 PM
Leatherman all the way..   :D

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #26 on: December 17, 2009, 08:56:25 PM

I love that phrase.  If I could get away with saying it without looking like a complete tool, I would.  

Oh, and I'm not sure since I haven't handled the ST300.  I didn't care for the original or the ST200, but then again, I found the SwissTool a bit kludgy.

I prefer the Surge for large MT.  But honestly, if I need serious beefiness in a pliers based tool, I prefer to carry a lineman's pliers (insulated at that) with a small MT.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #27 on: December 17, 2009, 09:06:13 PM
Hey, you calling me a tool?!?  >:( :D
I'm back!!

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: December 17, 2009, 09:08:17 PM
I am a bit surprised that it’s such a close race, I thought that most of the people here would say Swisstool. I’m just happy that there are other people out there that feels the same way as me

I love the SURGE but the out side opening implements don’t make it as streamlined as the ST 300

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #29 on: December 17, 2009, 09:10:07 PM
Hey, you calling me a tool?!?  >:( :D

No.  Americans using clearly British phrases sound like tools.  ;)

:P

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD