Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

You never forget your first...

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
You never forget your first...
on: September 26, 2006, 12:24:32 PM
The 1999 thread got me thinking about my first tool, and I started wondering what tool got everyone else started?

For me it was a Micra.  I bought it because it looked neat and was really impressed with it.  In fact, I was so impressed that I went out the next day and bought the PST II, which has always been a pretty special model to me.  Of course I gave the Micra to my girlfriend at the time and the PST II was lost a year or two later, but I eventually ended up getting another of each- in the case of the Micra, a few of them.

I hadn't gotten another tool for some time after that- I think it was the SwissTool next, but other than the first one I really can't remember what order they all came in next!

What was your first tool, and what tool (if different from the first) got you hooked on multitools?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Re: You never forget your first...
Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 02:16:05 PM
I was collecting USA-made pocket knives in 1991 when I read about the original Leatherman tool in Blade magazine.  I bought one and still carry it frequently because it weighs so little while still being strong and capable.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 04:15:22 PM
Actually mine was a Gerber Multi-Lite :) Strange but true

DavidBinGA

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 09:16:43 AM
A local drug store had a dusty leatherman PST really cheap in and everytime I went in to get my my wifes medicine I would always look it.  I never really knew that much about multitools at the time.  I always carried a SAK Soldier. Then one day my wife told me to "quit looking at the thing and buy it.
"

Offline ac5

Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 07:35:36 PM
A black pst about 15 years ago.

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 08:16:01 PM
My first multitool was a gift from my dad.  It was a Schrade Tough "to open" Tool.  That was about 8 years ago (I think)  I've still got it.
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

Offline geoemt

Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006, 08:20:33 PM
Mine was a LT Wave (old style), came with a black nylon sheath and a MiniMaglite AAA. Got it for 30 dollars (COSTO-PRICE CLUB) 7 years ago. Don't have it anymore, a good friend of mine in Mazamitla Mexico, a farmer, is using it everyday.
Guillermo
<

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #7 on: September 27, 2006, 10:55:36 PM
...Schrade Tough "to open" Tool...

You've got that right!
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #8 on: September 28, 2006, 02:56:34 AM
I like my Tough Tool... and my father swaers by his, but then that's likely because the "Tough Tool" adheres pretty closely to the things he did when growing up like hiking 30 miles to school ever day, in a blizzard and uphill both ways... riding bikes without seats (No wonder I've had headaches as long as I can remember!) and so on.  The Tough Tool is a great multi for the original Tough Guy!
Of course he wears his Spirit on Sundays!
Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: September 29, 2006, 04:54:30 AM

Leatherman PST was my first. I still have it, and still use it, to this day.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%