Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

"How to" clean used SAKs (in excellent condition)

Offline GradeMaker

"How to" clean used SAKs (in excellent condition)
on: December 20, 2009, 06:29:00 AM
Wondered if someone could link me to a previous thread that covers the basic must perform procedures - assume its out there - I just haven't found it yet. Thanks much.

us Offline bren10man

Re: "How to" clean used SAKs (in excellent condition)
Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 07:45:39 AM
I do not have a link to it, but read it, and this is how I clean my SAK's (used bought new or bought used and filthy):

1. Open all the blades, tools, etc.  Remove toothpick, tweezers, corkscrew driver, pen, pin, etc.

2. Wash in warm to lukewarm water with degreaser dish detergent, i.e. Dawn.

3. Let soak for 1 hour or so.

4. Use Q-tip swabs and pipe cleaners to clean inside the knife and wherever blades fold for storage.  

5. If really dirty, use a tooth brush.  An M16 or M4 rifle cleaning kit has an excellent "toothbrush" that I use for this.

6. Dry.  Terry cloth first, then air.

7. Oil joints.  Wipe off excess.

8. Polish blades and scales with Dremel tool using stainless steel cleaner; scales with platic buffer cleaner.  Found in auto parts stores (i.e. Autozone).  I use the Dremel tool with the "cotton" polishing wheel, NOT stone grit wheel.  Use FINE steel wool and FINE 1500 grit sand paper to smooth and polish scales.  Use fine car wax to make scales like new again, i.e. McGuires.  Turtle Wax is opsolete.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 07:47:36 AM by bren10man »
MOLON LABE!

Offline GradeMaker

Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 02:59:54 PM
Thanks much

Offline P35

Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 03:57:22 PM
I use much the same approach. I start with removing the scales, and soaking the knife in mineral spirits. After a good scrub with a tooth brush I blow out the spirits with compressed air , then clean with dish soap. The mineral spirits dissolves all the old oil, the air gets the grit, the dish soap removes the spirits. I've bought several first rate used SAKS from Felinevet. With a bit of TLC they look as new.

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 04:20:45 PM
what about alox?  Any tips to clean the scales?
:like:    :MTO:

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
  • "When nothing goes right, go left"
Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 04:25:49 PM
what about alox?  Any tips to clean the scales?
Very carefully, especially if they are colored alox.  For those I just use soap and water and a soft cloth.  Blow out the water with compressed air (the little can of air stuff used for computer keyboards works great) then I let it finish drying.  I use WD40, wipe off excess then add just a touch of 3 in 1 oil.  I'm really careful with my alox.  :) 

Bren10man,
That is a very comprehensive "how to" thank you so much for posting it.  :)  :tu:
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%