Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Looking for good needlenose MT

BassBE · 42 · 3469

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Re: Looking for good needlenose MT
Reply #30 on: January 10, 2010, 05:12:27 PM
Here are some newer photographs just taken a few minutes ago.

For this comparison of plier heads, a Winchester Fish, a Gerber MP600 fish, a Coast fishing plier, and a Leatherman PST for comparison.

Here they are aligned with the tip of their pliers for length comparison.

Just something more to consider I guess.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #31 on: January 10, 2010, 05:38:26 PM
Very nice comparison pics, Chako.

Great idea to include the LM PST for scale - nearly everyone on MTO has, or has had, a LM PST.

But why no Flik Fish in these pics?

Surely you must have one of those by now.  ;>

N

Offline BassBE

Reply #32 on: January 10, 2010, 05:40:46 PM
Just checked out the Coast website and unfortunately they are unable to ship overseas... the coast looks pretty good though and not too expensive either.

Thanks for posting the picture Chako, was looking for a pic like that.

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: January 10, 2010, 05:44:37 PM
Huh. That Coast is pretty nifty. How are the implements in it? They don't look as bad as a lot of other Cheapies.

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #34 on: January 10, 2010, 05:47:40 PM
Just checked out the Coast website and unfortunately they are unable to ship overseas... the coast looks pretty good though and not too expensive either.

I doubt I can find one at the Walmart to which I'm heading today, but if I can, and you don't mind lack of insurance, I'll ship it your way, if you'd like. :)

Offline BassBE

Reply #35 on: January 10, 2010, 05:59:53 PM

I doubt I can find one at the Walmart to which I'm heading today, but if I can, and you don't mind lack of insurance, I'll ship it your way, if you'd like. :)

That's a very kind offer! I'll give it some thought first since I was 99% set on the flik fish again :). The 'flik' pliers are a big plus and the hook sharpener as well.

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #36 on: January 10, 2010, 06:23:49 PM
I am going to suggest this one. I have found it is the best for fishing, and I do have a few of the Gerber fishing MTs.

Model #FT8500CP Folding Fishing Tool and 12-Piece Bit Set by COAST.

Here is the sheath with included bits and wrench.
(Image removed from quote.)

The rubber pads on the handles mean it won't slide all over on a metal surface.

A bent tip just can’t be beat for fishing.

Not only that, but there are quite a few functions built into the very long needle nose pliers that are excellent for a fisherman.

So if I was in the market for a fishing MT, the COAST would be my primary goto tool. I prefer it over my Gerber MP600 fisherman. It is all about the pliers, and the COAST has the best fishing centric plier head  that is mated to a folding MT in my opinion.

The best part, I bought mine at Wal-Mart for 20 bucks. So at that price, you can buy a few of them and still be cheaper than some of the other MTs posted in this thread. What is missing you may ask? Some sort of lanyard. I favor a retracting steel cable type that attaches on my vest etc… I forgot to mention that there are no lanyard attatchment ring on it though..so a bit of quick drilling on one handle fixed that issue nicely.

Must say, for only 20 bucks this looks like a great hobbyist tool to put in a small electronics/soldering kit for field use.

Those bent tip needlenose pliers look like they'd work great for bending wire and soldering in tight places.  Bits, neatly stored/organized in the eheath, is a nice bonus feature.

N

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #37 on: January 10, 2010, 11:03:06 PM

That's a very kind offer! I'll give it some thought first since I was 99% set on the flik fish again :). The 'flik' pliers are a big plus and the hook sharpener as well.

I looked in the Walmart (I think there are either four or five in this area, maybe more) that would most likely have had the Coast tool, and I didn't see it.  Maybe someone else could pull through for you, though. :)

00 Offline jim guy

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: January 11, 2010, 12:10:33 AM
you know now that this is brought up, i had to go look in my tackle box. I have a cheap winchester mt in there i forgot about. It opens like a geber and has long thin pliers just for fishing. Granted they have never seen salt water, but they still have no rust on them and they have been in the bottom of my tackle box for years.

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #39 on: January 11, 2010, 02:43:37 AM
I use an inexpensive, dedicated hook removal tool like this;

cost around 5 dollars and works great and if I lose it, no big deal.

I've been looking at this one;

Sheffield Angler, around 20 bucks. Has a hook sharpener,
line-cutters and as you see more!

I'd hate to lose/drop my good MTs in the water and it's why
I prefer an inexpensive tool/hook remover.

but if you really want a good MT as long as you keep it clean and
wipe it down at the end of the day any one should be fine.

Good Luck and let us know what you get and how it works out  ;)

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #40 on: January 11, 2010, 02:51:28 AM
Click  ;)

Am I the only one who find the hook dislodger totally useless? Maybe if you have a barbless hook, but with regular hooks a plier/hemostat is absolutely necessary.

In fact I despise fish scaler on any of my tool/SAK, only good for jacking up tool count and taking up space.

Offline dsn95

Reply #41 on: January 11, 2010, 07:37:19 AM
Here are some newer photographs just taken a few minutes ago.

For this comparison of plier heads, a Winchester Fish, a Gerber MP600 fish, a Coast fishing plier, and a Leatherman PST for comparison.

Here they are aligned with the tip of their pliers for length comparison.

Just something more to consider I guess.

Wow, I was just browsing through this thread (new guy here) and I fell in love with the unique design of the Coast fishing tool. I fish offshore about once or twice a month and for the last year I've carried my SURGE with me which has worked fine (both as a tool and the occasional anchor when needed  :D).

But I think the Coast would be the perfect dedicated fishing tool if it were to include a diamond file with a sharpening groove instead of one of the other tools (probably the philips since its already covered by the bit set). However I  already have a couple of small sharpening stones in the tackle box already. Every other tool is needed for a fishing trip: knife for various understandable purposes, awl for poking around, scissors for clipping line etc. and the all important bottle opener for opening the cold ones. The design of the plier head is probably the best I've seen for fishing and the entire head is as long as the Gerber and Winchester yet it is folded into the tool which makes it better since it won't go poking holes in anything. This could truly be THE tool for tackle box and its cheap enough to buy a few and not worry about losing them overboard. The rubber grips are quite a nice touch as well, which would prevent it from sliding all over the place.

Rust issues are not a big problem for me since I always wash anything I take on the boat with freshwater afterwards. I've used a SURGE for a year now and most of that time was spent on the coast. I even used it while diving a couple of times (gasp!).

I definitely have to get one of these soon!
DSN

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD