Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New guy looking for some advice on first multitool!

Offline Abe Arceo

New guy looking for some advice on first multitool!
on: January 04, 2010, 03:07:01 PM
Hello everyone and happy new year!

I've been doing a lot of research about multitools for EDC over the holiday break and I've received a ton of great information from this site and the forums, so thanks for all of that!

I'm at IT guy for a university and figured that with the amount of repairs/installations/troubleshooting I do on a daily basis, it would a great idea to carry around a multitool for EDC.  I actually don't have one yet, but I'm receiving a squirt P4 and S4 in the mail today from the wonderful world of eBay.  As much as I'm looking forward to carrying those in my pocket or keyring everyday, I'm wondering if I would benefit more from a full size multitool, but after all of my research on this forum and reading reviews, I still can't decide what would be best for me.  

I really want to keep this thing light and portable, so I originally was thinking of going with a Skeletool or a Gerber Crucial.  But after reading reviews and giving it some thought, I would probably benefit more by having more tools and options available to me on the field and around the tech area.  So now I have it narrowed down between the Leatherman Charge, Wave, Blast, and Kick.  

As I said earlier I'd like to keep it light and portable since it will be with me, so the ideal weight would be between 5oz - 7oz.  I know the Charge and Wave are around the 8oz mark, but I don't want to rule them out if the functionality is really worth the extra 1oz.

Also, what would be the best way to carry something like this?  Originally I threw the sheath idea out the window (I carry a black berry in a holster on my belt, carabiner with keys on belt loop, and phone in pocket) but with the size/weight of these things I didn't know if it would be too much to carry in a pocket via clip.  The Leatherman Blast seems like it would be the ideal choice, but I don't think there is a clip for it?

Anyways if I can provide anymore information please let me know!  And thanks in advance for all of the information - This site and all of the members have been very helpful with all of my research so far!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 03:09:10 PM by Abe Arceo »
<

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Re: New guy looking for some advice on first multitool!
Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 03:21:57 PM
Welcome to the forum Abe  :D The Charge , Wave and Blast are good choices and packed with tools .Carry any of them in a belt sheath and you wouldnt notice it was there . It just depends if your going to need the tools  :think: Ask yourself if you have need of a saw , file , knife , screwdrivers , bottle opener, scissors , file etc. and that may help in your decision . The only problem I see is if you got a full size tool and you found it too heavy for carry then it would end up being left at home or in the car .

Another tool you should consider is the Victorinox Spirit , it has alot of tools packed into a nice sized unit .

Dunc

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 03:32:03 PM
Hi Abe, welcome to MT.O.

Dunc made some good recommendations.   Also, if weight is not a big issue, you should consider a Paladin PT-540 which is perfect for IT/electrical work.  Paladin is in the same line as SOG's Powerlock which means they have compound leverage pliers and the components are swappable so you can customize your multitool with components that is perfect for your job.

If the SOG Powerlock or Paladin PT-540 is too big, there are smaller models such as Paladin's PT-510 or SOG's PowerPlier which still have compound leverage and customizable components but are smaller in size.
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 03:34:24 PM
Hi Abe, welcome to MT.O.

Dunc made some good recommendations.   Also, if weight is not a big issue, you should consider a Paladin PT-540 which is perfect for IT/electrical work.  Paladin is in the same line as SOG's Powerlock which means they have compound leverage pliers and the components are swappable so you can customize your multitool with components that is perfect for your job.

If the SOG Powerlock or Paladin PT-540 is too big, there are smaller models such as Paladin's PT-510 or SOG's PowerPlier which still have compound leverage and customizable components but are smaller in size.

That reminds me  :tu:  Sogs Pocket Powerplier is a really good option too .

Dunc

spam Offline zepla

• No Life Club
  • Where is all that water coming from?!
Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 03:47:42 PM
Even tho I am very not into SAK's but if IT stuff is what you do, one of those cybertools could be interesting  :think:

Offline Abe Arceo

Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 04:44:29 PM
Thanks for all of the quick responses!

Ya know, I haven't even thought about the Paladin or the SOG tools, I'll definitely take a look into those.  I did notice that the SOG power pliers clock in at around 5.5oz, so that's really great.

Dunc - You're right, if this multitool is too heavy or bulky I can see me keeping it in my Timbuk2 bag rather then carrying it around - definitely don't want that.  Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to actually test these in person, so I'm not sure what the ideal weight/size would be.  But since the Skeletool and Crucial both weigh in at 5oz I'm assuming that would be the ideal weight.

As far as tools go, definitely pliers and a knife.  Pliers really help out when there are paper jams in our printers and MFP's. Knife wouldn't be used for anything too crazy, we receive a lot of new equipments it will primarily be used for opening boxes and retail packages.

I would like for the knife and other tools to be accessible without opening the multitool.  Screwdrivers are a must, at least a philips and flathead.  Optional bits are a plus but aren't necessary.  

I did look into the Swiss tool early on but that kinda fell off the radar, should I look back into it?

I considered the cybertool for awhile as well, but I liked the design of the foldable pliers of the Leatherman/Gerber/etc...

I have to go on a call right now but I'll check out the SOG and Paladin lineup when I get back.  Also, what are the average prices on products from those companies?  I was looking to stick under $50, but I'll go over if I could benefit from it.

EDIT

Did some quick researching, and it seems the Spirit S is actually a little less then 6 oz and comes packed with a lot of tools.  Any thoughts on this?  How is the quality compared to something from the Leatherman lineup?

Also, for best portability, is a sheath preferred over a pocket clip?   At first I was thinking that I would carry this tool with me 7 days a week, but I figured since I have the two Squirts coming in the mail today, I could just carry those on the weekends...although it would be nice having a full size multitool with me everyday...but I highly doubt I would use it on the weekends.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 04:58:19 PM by Abe Arceo »
<

ca Offline Shane769

• No Life Club
  • Gone Climbing.
Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 05:19:58 PM
You really can't go wrong with something like the Wave. The functionality on it is great for the size and weight. I prefer belt carry, but that's because I carry one of the bigger tools around, 10 or 11 oz. I don't even know what that means, but apparently it is heavy or something :think:

My person preference on tool to carry, since you will get a whole ton of options, is the...

SURGE! :viking:
Boy do I love doing that... :D

Welcome to the forum :cheers:
"I would rather live 40 years of excitement and fun and exhilarating and just WOOOO, full volume, then 80 years of la di di di da... you know... boring. Why not get out there and live it?!"

us Offline turbov21

Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 05:43:21 PM
Speaking as an IT guy at a community college (he said, trying to offer a sense of camraderie), I usually carry a Crunch and a SAK in my bag.  That said, my job doesn't require me to get out and deal with hardware as much as it used to, so my kit may not be as heavy duty as you need.  That said, when I was doing some hardware  work at home (PC repair, cannibalizing old systems for parts, etc.) last month, I found the best Go To tools were my Blast and an old multi-bit screwdriver.

As much as I love the Blast (it's the only duplicate MT in my collection), I'm really a huge proponent of multi-bit screwdrivers (not the auto-loading ones, but primitive ones) as an IT guy's best tool.  You get drive heads that cover the majority of screws you'll encounter.  You get a basic nut driver.  You get a basic prybar, for opening up cases and popping out cards.  You get a rubber mallet for pushing stiff cards back in the sockets.  You do not get pliers, which is probably a downvote in a lot of cases.

Those are my recommendations: LM Blast and one of these.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 05:46:44 PM by turbov21 »

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
  • "When nothing goes right, go left"
Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 05:45:02 PM
I can't really comment on what would be best for your job, but as for carry options I can tell you that the Wave will weight down your britches a bit.  :)  I don't mind it, since I always wear a belt and tend toward cargo pants.  It does fit nicely in a pocket though and you can buy a pocket clip for it.  However, whenever I use the pocket clip on the wave, it tends to open in my pocket.  I carry it in front pocket and while it rides very low, the tool has a tendency to open.  I went out and got a small, padded camera case and stored both my phone and my Wave in that.  I also have the Slider from Timbuk2 and the tool fit great in there when I was out and about but I wouldn't put in there with a phone.  The Slider was the better set up for me, actually.  Plus, when I was on my bike, it was pretty easily accessible from the stap of my bag.  Phone just goes in the bag because I'm paranoid about my phone getting busted.  :)  All sorts of little pouches out there that clip to your belt or slide onto your belt to fit all kinds of little gadgets so you can keep everything without having a bunch of different holsters and such.  
I will say this, if you want to be able to change out bits, Wave or Charge would probably be best bet.  But the LM dedicated drivers are awesome!
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 05:57:53 PM
When in doubt, go with a Wave and pocket clip.  Or upgrade to a charge, which comes with a detachable pocket clip and lanyard ring.  For an extra ounce you get a lot more versatility. 

Offline Abe Arceo

Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 06:42:47 PM
I'm always hearing great things about the Wave and Charge.  The Charge seems a little too expensive right now (probably looking at $80+, right?), so maybe if I find myself using this multitool a lot more then expected then maybe my wife will give me the green light on it later down the road lol!

I do like the way the Wave is sounding though, I'm just worried about the size and bulk.

Can anyone compare the Wave to something like the SwissTool Spirit?  If I go with the Spirit, how much extra functionality will I be losing?  How about the Spirit over the blast?  Just from what I saw, the Spirit offers more tools then the Blast, but it also lighter?

At first I thought that I would need the ability to change the bits, but since 90% of what I do require a standard phillips and flat head, I should be ok without one.  Also, what does that new Wave go for now a days?  

It sounds like carrying these on a sheath is the best bet, but I don't want to rule out the option of pocket carry on certain days, and in that case, I'm wondering if the Spirit would be the better choice since it's a couple ounces lighter.  Or is the difference so minimal I wouldn't be able to tell?  

The Surge looks amazing, but man that thing is huge! :o

Edit

Here is a Spirit S on Amazon for $57, is that a good price?

http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Swiss-SwissTool-Spirit-Oxidized/dp/B000VY6E78/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1262620527&sr=8-3

Thanks again guys I really appreciate all of the help and info you've provided  :)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 07:09:12 PM by Abe Arceo »
<

ni-ulster Offline cerbera147

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 07:34:59 PM
In my limited knowledge I think a Skeletool would suit you  :D

It has a good knife, pliers & screwdrivers and weighs very little; clip on and forget  :tu:

Once you get that you are on the slippery slope to multitool bankruptcy  :ahhh  :multi: :ahhh

us Offline Crouton

• No Life Club
  • "Live long and ..useful."
Reply #12 on: January 04, 2010, 07:43:00 PM

Can anyone compare the Wave to something like the SwissTool Spirit?  If I go with the Spirit, how much extra functionality will I be losing?  How about the Spirit over the blast?  Just from what I saw, the Spirit offers more tools then the Blast, but it also lighter?

The Swisstool Spirit is a great tool, and very well made too, but the Wave/Charge have one thing that the Swisstool doesn't offer and this is outside, one-hand opening blades.  The Charge TTi also offers a cutting hook on the serrated blade which is very convenient to have for safe cutting of wire, and string as well as opening boxes.

The Blast is a well made tool indeed, but the tool must be opened for access to all the blades and implements.  The Blast is a good compact tool though.

If you can deal with having to use two hands to pull out a knife blade then I believe you would be well served with the Swisstool, and dare I say you will be impressed with how well it's built.  If you often need to deploy a knife blade while you have your other hand occupied (i.e. holding something) then go with the Wave or Charge.

Buy them all. :)
:)

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: January 04, 2010, 07:57:07 PM
I shopped on eBay for awhile and got a brand new Wave for $30.  The wave is 4 inches closed.  The spirit is slightly longer, but lighter, and doesn't have a pocket clip. 

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #14 on: January 04, 2010, 08:08:26 PM
As far as tools go, definitely pliers and a knife.  Pliers really help out when there are paper jams in our printers and MFP's. Knife wouldn't be used for anything too crazy, we receive a lot of new equipments it will primarily be used for opening boxes and retail packages.

I would like for the knife and other tools to be accessible without opening the multitool.  Screwdrivers are a must, at least a philips and flathead.  Optional bits are a plus but aren't necessary.  

Thinking about it , the Skeletool would be ideal for that role . Its very light , rides really nice on its pocket clip and has a one handed blade .If you decide the other multitools have alot of tools you aren't going to use then this could be the model for you .

Dunc

Offline Magnus

Reply #15 on: January 04, 2010, 08:40:44 PM
I will second the recommendation of the Paladin PT-540, it has a really useful assortment of tools for electrical work, wire strippers 66 & 110 punchdowns, etc.  And it is made by SOG so it is really high quality and customizable.  It is big though being one of the largest multitools, but I have never found that to be a massive issue.
[

Offline Abe Arceo

Reply #16 on: January 04, 2010, 08:42:35 PM
I can definitely see me buying a few multitools throughout the year.  My two squirts haven't even come in yet and I still feel I need a bigger multitool lol!

The Skeletool was actually the first multitool that I looked at and was really close to pulling the trigger.  But after some consideration I felt that that for the price I could get a multitool with more functionality and only weighing 1 extra ounce.  Five ounces would be nice but if I could pack in a few extra tools and get more functionality I'd be ok with going up to 6!

I do like the idea of having one handed opening blades. That's something that I didn't consider before so thanks for pointing that out.  And I do like the fact that the wave/charge have the pocket clip option.

Crouton - thanks for pointing out that the Blast must be opened to access the blades and implements.  Having outside access is very important so I'll have to remove the Blast from contention!

So right now it looks like the Spirit, Wave, and Charge are the tools to choose from.  Unfortunately the Charge seems to be out of the price range :(

As far as blades/implements go, does the Wave have any advantages over the spirit?  Also, does anyone know the actual weight of the spirit s?  I believe I read somewhere that the Spirit was a little under 6oz, I wasn't sure if the Spirit S changed that.

Thanks!!
<

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
  • "When nothing goes right, go left"
Reply #17 on: January 04, 2010, 08:44:18 PM
Abe, check your PM :)
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #18 on: January 04, 2010, 08:54:44 PM
The only thing I feel the Wave lacks is a Awl which the Spirit does have . I have both tools and hold them in the highest regard . I think it boils down to one handed opening . Don't worry too much about the Charge , its very similar to the Wave but just uses High end material .One thing I like about the Waves sheath is it can be worn in the horizontal position and has two little pockets in it . I keep a pen in one and a little flashlight in the other .

Dunc

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: January 04, 2010, 09:03:02 PM
The Skeletool was actually the first multitool that I looked at and was really close to pulling the trigger.  But after some consideration I felt that that for the price I could get a multitool with more functionality and only weighing 1 extra ounce.

I felt the same about the Skeletool at first; for about the same money you can get a more 'fuller' multitool. Now I have had my winning combination of Squirt and Wave I think the Skeletool might make a welcome addition.

You should keep an eye on the Multitools For Sale Section  :D

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #20 on: January 04, 2010, 09:06:23 PM
Also don't forget to look on http://www.edcsource.com/

Dunc

Offline Abe Arceo

Reply #21 on: January 04, 2010, 09:36:13 PM
Quick question guys - can anyone comment on the difference between the pliers on the Wave and Spirit?  It seems that the Wave has needle nose where as the Spirit doesn't?

Also, if you carry your Wave on your belt in the sheath, is the weight noticeable? 

Thanks again!
<

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #22 on: January 04, 2010, 09:54:07 PM
Quick question guys - can anyone comment on the difference between the pliers on the Wave and Spirit?  It seems that the Wave has needle nose where as the Spirit doesn't?

Also, if you carry your Wave on your belt in the sheath, is the weight noticeable? 

Thanks again!

I don't notice the Wave there at all on my hip . The pliers on the wave do come to a finer point then the Spirit but I would consider both to be very good .Where the Wave does score points is the bigger wire cutting area which makes it easier when cutting lots of wire or if your in a hurry .Both Spirit and Wave cut wire well though .
I included a Skeletool for size as well . Let me know if you would like me to take anymore .

Dunc

Offline Abe Arceo

Reply #23 on: January 04, 2010, 09:58:57 PM
Dunc,

Thanks for the pics man!

Between the Spirit and the Wave, can you really tell the difference in weight? I'm really considering sticking with sheath carrying rather than pocket carrying....

Also, it appears the Wave is a bit smaller in length compared to the Spirit, is that right?

I do like the fact that the sheath on the Wave can be in either the horizontal or vertical position...that actually might make a difference. My Blackberry holster is always in the vertical position which keeps it out of the way nicely.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 10:02:25 PM by Abe Arceo »
<

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #24 on: January 04, 2010, 10:07:24 PM
Dunc,

Thanks for the pics man!

Between the Spirit and the Wave, can you really tell the difference in weight? I'm really considering sticking with sheath carrying rather than pocket carrying....

Sitting here with a Wave in one hand and a Spirit in the other I would say any difference isn't worth worrying about .The Skeletool you can notice . You would certainly notice a Spirit or a Wave in your pocket .I find the Spirit sits better in your pocket then the Wave as its thinner and more smooth . Which reminds me , the Spirit is probably the most comfortable multitool to use the pliers on .

Offline ecfiffer

Reply #25 on: January 05, 2010, 12:00:29 AM
Quote from: cerbera147 link=topic=16255.msg308133#msg308133 date=1262630099

Once you get that you are on the slippery slope to multitool bankruptcy  :ahhh  :multi: :ahhh
[/quote

+1  i have a skeletool and a charge i EDC EVERYWHERE.  my wave is for home repair.  being an IT guy as well, i would tell you to go skeletool but you know not every IT guy runs the same.  for the paper jams i come across hemostats fit the bill the best for me at least.  why not look into getting a nite ize pock-its XL and carry a full size tool and a good AA LED light and a long bit(ed) screw driver that was linked above?  that was my load out for the past year and a half at my job...  besides when you get one tool, another always seems to come into the picture, and then another and another, and well i think you get where i'm going  :ahhh  let us know what you end up getting!!!!
'

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: January 05, 2010, 12:17:29 AM
Thanks for the photos from me too Dunc  :salute:

I was going to ask someone to compare the Wave and the Skeletool :D

Would it possible to to see all 3 stacked to compare thickness? If there is not much in it then it doesn't matter.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #27 on: January 05, 2010, 01:52:32 AM
I think Dunc's gone to bed, so you'll have to make do with me ;)

The lighting's crap, and getting the tools to stand up was hard  :think:

But here you go:

Basically, there's not a lot in it.
I used to come here a lot.

Offline ecfiffer

Reply #28 on: January 05, 2010, 02:34:18 AM
if you are between the wave and the spirit, just ask your self, do you want all of your tools to be opened outside (spirit) or have OHO blades (wave)?  i was in your boat and was looking at both.  i was leaning to the spirit but ended up with the wave thanks to a gift card from my dad
'

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: January 05, 2010, 04:39:18 AM
For you id say the charge isn't worth it. Its a wave with fancy metals that you don't really need.
Skeletool is a decent option but considering ur job u may find it lacking when u really need it.
Spirit is a lot more pocketable and overall has more onboard features than the wave. Its a tad lighter, but its the thinness that really makes it disappear into your pocket. I really think the spirit would be better for you (I've owned both a spirit and wave) unless you really want the one handed blades. Keep in mind though, universities tend to be chock full of sheeple that may get freaked out when you snap open the Wave's more agressive blades. People don't think twice about the spirit's "swiss army blade" also the stubby bit drivers on the wave may be a problem working in tight places like the inside of a copier or what have you. Id also take a 2nd look at the cybertool. I love mine for working on computers and electronics. I actually find the tiny pliers indespensible for manipulating small objects or  getting into tight places, and the bit driver is a godsend. I used my cybertool to rebuild my Nintendo DSi. Something none of my other multis could do. For small work it's an indespensible tool.  As has been mentioned, if you don't mind taking the hour it takes to get at the tools, the paladin is another decent option.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 04:46:37 AM by thebullfrog »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD