Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What is your most anticipated new tool for 2010?

Poll

What is your most anticipated new tool for 2010?

Leatherman PS4
15 (30.6%)
Leatherman ES4
1 (2%)
Leatherman Style
1 (2%)
Leatherman Style CX
2 (4.1%)
Gerber Shard
0 (0%)
Gerber Octane
0 (0%)
Gerber Grappler
9 (18.4%)
Gerber Strata
0 (0%)
Un-named, rumored Victorinox Tool
18 (36.7%)
CRKT Flux
3 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Voting closed: January 13, 2010, 02:04:25 PM

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Re: What is your most anticipated new tool for 2010?
Reply #30 on: January 07, 2010, 12:42:47 PM
I had to vote mystery Vic on the basis of excitement. None of the other stuff really does it for me at all, so the idea of what the mystery Vic might be (if it even exists) excites me a lot more than any of the already announced stuff.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 12:50:55 PM by thebullfrog »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #31 on: January 07, 2010, 12:47:59 PM
While I'm very curious as to what the new Vic tool might be, there's just nothing there to get excited about yet.  To much dreaming and imagination could well lead to disappointment I fear. :-\

So my vote has gone for the PS4.  I'm really hoping I like LM's mini scissors, if they've got them right then I reckon LM has come up with the ultimate pocket/keyring tool. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ca Offline ufox9al

Reply #32 on: January 07, 2010, 10:37:13 PM
I wish there were a choice for a resurrection of SOG PowerCut, I'd vote for that!
-------
Alexei

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #33 on: January 08, 2010, 03:56:41 AM
I think a lot of us would!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #34 on: January 08, 2010, 04:20:19 AM
I had to vote mystery Vic on the basis of excitement. None of the other stuff really does it for me at all, so the idea of what the mystery Vic might be (if it even exists) excites me a lot more than any of the already announced stuff.

But what if after all that suspense the "new" Vic tool turns out to be just a regular Spirit with a new blade? ;)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #35 on: January 08, 2010, 04:31:15 AM

But what if after all that suspense the "new" Vic tool turns out to be just a regular Spirit with a new blade? ;)

Then I'll be sad. :P  But what if the dedicated Phillips was replaced with a long shaft bit driver? XD

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #36 on: January 08, 2010, 04:33:19 AM
FLLLLLLLLLLLLLUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUX.

That will be all.
Got those frog legs.

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: January 08, 2010, 05:17:56 AM
Flux? Really? Don't get me wrong, there's some nifty ideas there, but I really can't imagine carrying that setup around with me.

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #38 on: January 08, 2010, 06:18:54 AM
Flux? Really? Don't get me wrong, there's some nifty ideas there, but I really can't imagine carrying that setup around with me.

It'll probably be clipped to my bag, make more sense now?
Got those frog legs.

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: January 08, 2010, 06:37:36 AM
Well yeah I suppose that would make more sense. I don't know though, the whole thing just seems really clunky and awkward to use. It has some really cool ideas going for it, but I just think they could have found a way to implement it better. But then again for what they are supposed to cost you do get quite a bit for your money, and CRKT generally has pretty well made stuff.

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #40 on: January 08, 2010, 07:41:31 AM
The Grappler has my attention at the moment.
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #41 on: January 08, 2010, 11:30:00 AM
I'm the 4th schmuck to declare for the grappler. I even already put my crunch on ebay .money is tight so i figured i flog it, get my cash flow and pick one up if the grappler doesn't make the cut. I am also anticipating crunch's price to fall or a model update if the grappler turns out to be the shiz
“A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost.”
- Terry Pratchett

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
  • "When nothing goes right, go left"
Reply #42 on: January 08, 2010, 01:04:42 PM
I'm with Saz on this one....if the new Vic tool had that long bit driver that would be very sweet  :drool: :drool:
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

00 Offline 1jump2many

Reply #43 on: January 08, 2010, 02:57:13 PM
I'm with Saz on this one....if the new Vic tool had that long bit driver that would be very sweet  :drool: :drool:

I'd buy that for a dollar.........  Actually I like that idea a lot.  Put it on the X model and it would quite possibly be the perfect MT for me. 
[

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: January 08, 2010, 03:11:25 PM
I'll be honest, despite me despising the vast majority of what Gerber shovels out the Grappler does look to be much better than the Crunch.  But then every time I see a great design from Gerber (and they do have some innovative ideas) I just get immensely disappointed by the build quality. Same for their knives for the most part. Gerber does seem to employ some great engineers that think up some of the best multi designs around, but I've pretty much lost any and all faith in their ability to actually build anything worth a damn.

I want to like Gerber. My first ever "real" knife was a Gerber. So was my second (which was also my first AO). But then that AO broke inside of a week and almost took out my damn eye when the mechanism exploded. I have a soft spot for great engineering design, which Gerber has in spades. Things like the Grappler prove that. But every time I've had, seen, or handled a Gerber multi it's either broken, or feels like it will break if it were dropped on the carpeting. Case in point: my grandpa, like most grandpas, always carried a SAK when I was a kid. For all I know he still does. I do see him fairly often with this cheap Chinese knock-off multi that is really really terrible. Not long ago I was fishing through one of his tool boxes looking for something. I was surprised to see a Gerber Diesel laying in there. Looked brand new, but you could tell it had been sitting there forever. You could just tell it had been opened, fondled for a few min. then tossed in the drawer and forgotten about. And I can see why: because his terrible terrible knock-off honestly feels like it's built better. The parts are at least attached tightly. The Diesel literally felt like it was going to crumble in my hand if I dared use it for anything. And that is why despite loving the  concept of the Grappler, I can't help but think the execution is going to wind up being worse than some $5 Menards brand knock-off from some mystery factory in some dark recess of China. I've long since stopped being even slightly moved by anything Gerber makes. I've grown tired of giving them second chances and just coming away disappointed. I get enough of that from my father lol.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #45 on: January 08, 2010, 04:36:29 PM
The Diesel literally felt like it was going to crumble in my hand if I dared use it for anything.

Blimey. My Diesel is solidly made. A good tool in fact.
I used to come here a lot.

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: January 08, 2010, 04:56:03 PM
You know that's what struck me the most about it. I have always heard so many good things about the Diesel, that's why I was so excited to see it. My first thought was to try and borrow it for a couple days and see how I got along with it, but after playing with it for a while I was just disappointed. Compared to any of the LM's and Vics I have/had it just felt really really cheap to me. I honestly thought "if that's one of the best made Gerber multis out there, how bad are the bad ones?" I wound up just tossing it back into the drawer. Who knows, maybe I'll give it another chance, and maybe it's better than I think, but my initial impression was pretty sour.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #47 on: January 17, 2010, 01:51:35 PM
Looks like this new Vic has a lot of expectation
I'm back!!

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #48 on: January 17, 2010, 02:39:37 PM

Anyone got any news yet ?

Dunc

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #49 on: January 17, 2010, 02:41:27 PM

Anyone got any news yet ?

Dunc

HHmm this one could change my whole mind on my 40th pressie  :rofl:

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #50 on: January 17, 2010, 02:45:58 PM
Vic...  ::) ::)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #51 on: January 17, 2010, 05:45:16 PM
Vic...  ::) ::)

Probably just added a clip point knife to the Spirit... ::) ::)

:D
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%