Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A question about an eBay issue.

Chako · 16 · 1747

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
A question about an eBay issue.
on: January 05, 2010, 12:59:57 PM
I won a bid on an old Wenger knife back in September. I waited and waited for it and it was long overdue. I had assumed the knife was stolen. I contacted the seller and he told me that there was insurance and that he would start the process. That was on November 09. He then informed me that we would have to wait 45 days. Well two days ago, I got a message from the seller. Apparently he got the knife returned to him with a note from Canada Post stating incomplete address. Somehow he failed to put my address number on the package. He now wants me to front him postage again to send it back to me.

Is this normal?

I have my strong suspicions that he mucked up my address knowing that he could get an insurance claim, and get me to repay him shipping again (he is still holding 50 dollars from me from the original purchase). He claims my PayPal account was to blame but I know my address is fully there. In fact, it is past the 45 days, and I have a strong suspicion that he has figured out a way to get double payment and postage.

So why do I feel like I am partaking in some sort of insurance scam and an attempt at fleecing my pockets. He has offered me a refund. but that doesn't sit well with me either, as it wasn't my fault for the mess up from the start.

What would you do?

I do not know how these insurance things work, It just seems like something is fishy.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 01:06:16 PM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: A question about an eBay issue.
Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 01:08:25 PM
Im not sure about where you live but here in the uk when i had something disapear( i am still suspicious) i filled in a claim form and got more than the amount i paid to send it in under 2 weeks, yours sounds suspicious to me but then i dont trust many people lol

paul

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 01:11:05 PM
You could take it up with the Postal Inspector, but if it were me I would take the refund and just not do business with him again, and report him to ebay, leave negative feedback, yadda yadda.  Its happened to me a few times, you just have live and learn. 

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 01:15:00 PM
I am going for the refund.

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 01:17:05 PM
Good call, hope he follows though.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 01:19:17 PM
LM123 selling on Ebay..??  :P :P

(Sorry, couldn't help it..)  :D

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 01:29:29 PM
Personally i think too much is being read into all this.  To me, it seems a case of a tight assed seller on ebay who obviously doesn't get the fact that it is up to the seller to ensure all packages reach their destination.  A scam seems unlikely IMO.

Just take the refund and end it all.  Sorted.
I'm back!!

Offline ratslash7

Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 02:11:21 PM
If he hesitates to refund your money, open a claim in Ebay's resolution center. Let them hound him for you and as long as you used Pay-Pal, you will be refunded even if it's not from the seller. I had a problem recently and I'm almost positive the seller did not refund my money but My Pay-Pal account was credited.

Good luck,
Dave
A

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 03:16:27 PM
What's the seller's feedback like?  If other people reported the same situation in their feedback for him, he's obviously scamming but if he has a good feedback, it's probably just an honest mistake.  If you decide to post feedback for him, be sure to mention him messing up your address.  It will really help future buyers.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 03:18:39 PM by PyroJames »
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

00 Offline 1jump2many

Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 03:19:11 PM
You can call and talk to an eBay representative and see if they can tell you their policy.  They do a very good job of hiding their phone number though.  You have to go into the questions area and type in a question then you will get the option to Email or Call them.  Click on the Call button and a box pops up with the toll free number and a pin number you have to enter.  

I had to do this because my sister-in-law gave me a $50 gift certificate from eBay.  She doesn't use eBay or PayPal and didn't understand that you have to link the gift certificate to an active PayPal account.  Instead she linked it to my wife's email address.  I went to purchase an item using the gift certificate and it didn't work and I went back on my browser and inadvertently ordered two of the same item.  :ahhh   So I had to call eBay to find out how to fix the gift certificate and how to cancel one of the orders.  

Most of the sellers will work with you though, they don't want someone to give them a bad rating.  Although, I've noticed it's not easy to give someone a bad rating.  I tried once when I got a GAK from someone and they advertised the item to be the one pictured and when it arrived it was one in a lot worse shape.
[

ca Online Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 04:08:38 PM
I would point out the literally thousands of other items you have bought on eBay and how they all managed to find their way to you, so there's nothing wrong with your address on Paypal, and that you aren't responsible for paying shipping twice after he messed it up.

Regardless of whether you get the refund or not, I would leave poor feedback- remember, your money has been tied up for three months now.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 04:26:49 PM
If you still want to item, I wouldn't settle for less then him paying for it to be sent again WITH tracking.

Just sounds like an lazy or careless seller who hasn't followed up fast enough to make things right to me.
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 12:22:22 PM
Dang. He removed the listing, and the item was so far back, that it isn't listed in the feedback section anymore. So I can't give him a yay or a nay.

Looks like I can't give him a bad rating if I wanted to.

He did reimburse my money, but I am still out on the shipping, and am a bit ticked off seeing that it wasn't my fault. Might just have to take it as a lesson that there are some not very nice people out there.

What I can do is warn the fine folks in here.

kkozak1973 is his nick name. Just be cautious when dealing with him on eBay.  :salute:

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Reply #13 on: January 06, 2010, 12:41:53 PM
kkozak1973 is his nick name. Just be cautious when dealing with him on eBay.  :salute:

You can also mention this in the feedback section.

Can't we make a stikky bad eBay seller thread in the feed back section where we post our bad eBay experiences?
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: January 06, 2010, 01:14:56 PM
Now I'm not saying this is the case here but I will just add that Canadian customs can be a pain.

I sent a package a year or so ago to a lady in Canada that was returned to me.  A great big sticker on the package said it had been refused entry to Canada as there was no return address.  Here's the good bit... said sticker had been slapped right on top of my return address  :bnghd:

I made sure the lady in question was kept informed and fully refunded her (including postage, it wasn't her fault). That left me short over £20 in postage and no way of reclaiming it :(
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

ca Online Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #15 on: January 06, 2010, 01:31:27 PM

You can also mention this in the feedback section.

Can't we make a stikky bad eBay seller thread in the feed back section where we post our bad eBay experiences?

Tim Colling, a SOSAK member and member here has a bad eBay seller list.  As soon as I locate it, I will post it here.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%