Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Challenge: 100 Books in 2010

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Re: Challenge: 100 Books in 2010
Reply #30 on: January 08, 2010, 12:06:27 AM
I'll back you on your challenge as I know it can be done  :D  my wife reads on average 300+books a year no! BS fact!  :o

[edit] my wife's list this week,

1.Faye/Jonathan kellerman...double homicide Santa fa and boston

2.J.kellerman...bones

3.the murder farm.....Andrea Schenkel

4.cover of night...Linda howard

5.bought with blood....Ann quinton

6.nightshade.....nora roberts

all read she'll be of to the library Friday morning  ::)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 12:18:44 AM by John »

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Reply #31 on: January 08, 2010, 12:42:38 AM
I really like Robert Ludlum also and don’t really much care for the other books that is based on his work. Tom Clancy is also a writer that I like and I love the Net Force series. Dean Koontz writes also some really good books and my favorite is Hideaway. Anne Rice also makes some really good vampire books.

Some books that I can recommend:
Blood Makes the Grass Grow Green: A Year in the Desert with Team America by Johnny Rico.
He basically spends one year in Afghanistan masturbating 3-4 times a day every day for one year, I laughed pretty hard reading this one.

Also a great book is Papillon by Henri Charrière and is a must read. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papillon_(autobiography)

One of my favorite books ever is Endless Night by Richard Laymon and it’s one of the sickest books that I have ever read and everyone should read the book ISBN 0-7472-0933-2. READ IT!!
“Jody Fargo is a cop's daughter, sweet sixteen but tougher than she looks. She's sleeping over at her friend Evelyn's house when the killers break in. She sees Evelyn spitted on a spear by a man dressed in human skins. She rescues the only other survivor of the massacre - Andy, Evelyn's twelve-year-old brother. She kills a man so they can get away. It's just as well that she's her father's daughter...

Simon Quirt sounds like a regular guy. Not the kind of fellow who would rape and murder in the dead of night. But, together with his friends, that's just what he does. Now Simon is alone. His friends, so called, have gone. They've left him to find the only eyewitnesses to their crime and dispose of them. He has to do it - or they'll slaughter his family. In any case, Simon has his own reasons for sticking around. He can't wait to get his hands on Jody.”
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #32 on: January 08, 2010, 12:47:26 AM
in the month of August when I was transitioning between grade 8 to grade 9, I read 43 books. I was very big into science fiction and fantasy back in the day. These days, I don't have as much time to devote to reading.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
  • "When nothing goes right, go left"
Reply #33 on: January 08, 2010, 01:11:25 AM
Sounds good.

I have a copy of Atlas Shrugged now too, which is casting a big "read me" shadow on my bedside table!
That one is definitely YOUR fault  :pok:  :D
It might actually take me all year just to read it!
:oops: Who me??  :D  It took me almost a month to finish that but it was so worth it.  I'd started and stopped it several times then finally knuckled down and got started. 

Medic,
If you like Vampire stories mixed with a lot of history and very very cool mystery, you might want to check out "The Historian" by Elizabeth Kostova.  It's really long and a bit dry at first, but it picks up quickly.  It's not gory though.  :) 
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #34 on: January 08, 2010, 01:53:47 AM
Dean Koontz "Lightning" is real good too.

I can tear thru some Choice your own Adventure Books :D
:like:    :MTO:

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: January 08, 2010, 02:54:02 PM
Update:
My list so far:
1. No Rules of Engagement-Taylor Richardson (romance)
2. In too Deep-Ronica Black (police mystery/romance)
3. Deeper-Ronica Black (sequel to In Too Deep)
4. Deja Dead-Kathy Reichs (Awesome!  Couldn't believe how much I liked this.  And it managed to surprise me.)
5. Death Du Jour- Kathy Reichs (Once again, great book and just when I thought I had it figured out, bam! Surprised me again.  I hope she can keep it up through the other books.)
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

Offline Hedge Kid

• Member 003 of the MickyD Fan Club
Reply #36 on: January 08, 2010, 03:34:35 PM
Yay, this is my kind of thread! I love to read but I don't seem to have enough time these days. I accept the challenge if only to spur my into reading more. I doubt I'll get to 100 but I'll give it a go.

When I first started secondary school (aged 11) we were given a reading list. I dutifully ploughed my way through them and went to see the librarian at the end of the year to say "I'm sorry I haven't quite completed the list but I'll have the remaining 6 read by the time we come back next term. Could I have next years list please so I can get on with it during the holidays." She gave me a very odd look and said "We don't have another list, that wasn't for this year, that was the recommended reading until you are 16!" 

Sadly I don't have that much time on my hands anymore!

So far this year I've read:

1. A Million Little Pieces - James Fry (Started last year but still reading, I have to keep putting it down because it can be really dark)
2. Life Makeovers - Cheryl Richardson (dull and uninspiring)
3. Light on Snow - Anita Shreve
4. 44 Scotland Street - Alexander McCall Smith
5. Love over Scotland Street - Alexander McCall Smith ( a fairly dull, faintly amusing series that I feel duty bound to finish
6. Three Cups of Tea - Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin (started last year but still reading - very inspiring but dull in places so keep putting it down.

For the person who said that they liked Tuesdays with Morie (sorry can't access the quote function now I've started writing!) you should read 'The Five People You Meet in Heaven' by the same author. Fantastic.

Good thread GraysonK  :tu:
I

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: January 08, 2010, 03:40:46 PM
Thanks Hedgekid!  LOL...your experience with the reading list is awesome and very familiar.  I used to do the same thing.  Of course it got me in a bit of pickle in 11th grade...I'd read one of the books for the year "Billy Budd" way before we were supposed to read it and ended up arguing with my teacher (playfully...nothing serious) for half a year about that book.  I hated it with a passion and begged her never to make me read anything like it ever again.  :)
I don't know if you've ever heard of or read Andy Andrews, but he wrote two books "The Lost Choice" and "The Traveller's Gift" that were wonderful.  Both of them involved small trips through mostly American but some international history as well.  Very inspiring IMO.  I'll be checking out the books you mentioned too.  Oh, I love this. 

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: January 11, 2010, 04:03:59 AM
1 down 99 to go...

Just finished reading Get Real by Donald E. Westlake RIP, this is his last Dortmunder series (14th book) and it didn't disappoint :tu:

Thinking of starting Hitchhiker's Guide as my next book  :cheers:
DSC01897.JPG
* DSC01897.JPG (Filesize: 116.82 KB)

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: January 11, 2010, 04:23:41 AM
Update:
My list so far:
4. Deja Dead-Kathy Reichs (Awesome!  Couldn't believe how much I liked this.  And it managed to surprise me.)
5. Death Du Jour- Kathy Reichs (Once again, great book and just when I thought I had it figured out, bam! Surprised me again.  I hope she can keep it up through the other books.)
6. Deadly Decisions-Kathy Reichs (Oh, this one was sad.  Didn't like it as well as the first two, but still great.  It's sad though.)

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: January 11, 2010, 04:27:48 AM
Update:
My list so far:
6. Deadly Decisions-Kathy Reichs (Oh, this one was sad.  Didn't like it as well as the first two, but still great.  It's sad though.)

:o You're fast  :tu: I got college books to worry about, doubt I'll fulfill the quota, but will try  :D :cheers:

Offline Hedge Kid

Reply #41 on: January 11, 2010, 01:21:42 PM
1 down 99 to go...

Just finished reading Get Real by Donald E. Westlake RIP, this is his last Dortmunder series (14th book) and it didn't disappoint :tu:

Thinking of starting Hitchhiker's Guide as my next book  :cheers:

I highly recommend reading the whole Hitchhiker's Guide series. They flow really nicely and are some of the funniest books I've read. I first read them as a teenager and I re-read them a couple of years ago and realised how entrenched that humour is into my own! Classic books.
I

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: January 11, 2010, 03:40:01 PM
Update:
My list so far:

:o You're fast  :tu: I got college books to worry about, doubt I'll fulfill the quota, but will try  :D :cheers:

I don't mean to be fast, but I just love these books.  I'll probably be slowing down a little because I just started Kelly's Get in Shape with Star Trek Voyager exercise routine.  LOL!  So there's an hour out of everyday that I won't be reading.  :)  We'll see.  :) And this is just something fun to shoot for to encourage some relaxation and maybe to find some escape when things are nuts. 
I have never read the Hitchhiker's guide books but I might have to try them during this year.  Might be fun.  :)

Offline Hedge Kid

Reply #43 on: January 11, 2010, 04:37:21 PM
Update:
My list so far:

I don't mean to be fast, but I just love these books.  I'll probably be slowing down a little because I just started Kelly's Get in Shape with Star Trek Voyager exercise routine.  LOL!  So there's an hour out of everyday that I won't be reading.  :)  We'll see.  :) And this is just something fun to shoot for to encourage some relaxation and maybe to find some escape when things are nuts. 
I have never read the Hitchhiker's guide books but I might have to try them during this year.  Might be fun.  :)

Please tell me it's not a real thing!!!!!  :ahhh

Thanks for the recommendations above - I'll check them out when I get through my current 'Mount. To Be Read'. (I thought I'd already replied to you about this...must've just thought-typed it and not got the fingers involved!  :doh:
I

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: January 11, 2010, 06:00:19 PM
Update:
My list so far:

Thanks for the recommendations above - I'll check them out when I get through my current 'Mount. To Be Read'. (I thought I'd already replied to you about this...must've just thought-typed it and not got the fingers involved!  :doh:
LOL!  It depends on what you mean by "the real thing" If you mean are Captain Janeway and 7 of 9 here with me cracking the whip?  DON"T I WISH!!!  Then no.  But since my loving partner got me all 7 seasons for Christmas, I'm watching one a day while I ride my bike on the indoor trainer.  My knee can't be trusted out on the road right now and neither can the snow so it's my self imposed exercise routine. :D 
You are very welcome for the recommendations.  Thank YOU for yours.  Those have all been added to my book pile..err list. :D

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #45 on: January 11, 2010, 06:36:53 PM
Seven would help motivate me to move my arse, that's for sure :D

A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: January 12, 2010, 04:10:42 AM
The Voyager had some of the best Borg episodes ever  :tu: :tu: you take Janeway I'll stick to 7  :D :cheers:

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: January 12, 2010, 07:31:52 AM
The Voyager had some of the best Borg episodes ever  :tu: :tu: you take Janeway I'll stick to 7  :D :cheers:
OH can't we share?  Please?  There's enough borg to go around ;)

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: January 12, 2010, 10:12:46 PM
Update:
My list so far:
7. Grave Secrets-Kathy Reichs (Whew!  What a ride!!!)

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: January 13, 2010, 03:39:25 AM
OH can't we share?  Please?  There's enough borg to go around ;)
Sharing is Caring  :tu: Liked Borg since TNG Q Who? episode  :cheers:

Offline Hedge Kid

Reply #50 on: January 13, 2010, 04:26:42 PM
Update:
My list so far:

LOL!  It depends on what you mean by "the real thing" If you mean are Captain Janeway and 7 of 9 here with me cracking the whip?  DON"T I WISH!!!  Then no.  But since my loving partner got me all 7 seasons for Christmas, I'm watching one a day while I ride my bike on the indoor trainer.  My knee can't be trusted out on the road right now and neither can the snow so it's my self imposed exercise routine. :D 
You are very welcome for the recommendations.  Thank YOU for yours.  Those have all been added to my book pile..err list. :D

Ahhh I understand, for one moment I thought there really was a sci fi exercise video. That really would be plumbing the depths! It was not a pleasant mental image.
I

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: January 13, 2010, 04:30:40 PM
Update:
My list so far:

Ahhh I understand, for one moment I thought there really was a sci fi exercise video. That really would be plumbing the depths! It was not a pleasant mental image.
LOL!  Sci Fi Exercise Video...hmmm, I wonder what, exactly, that might be like.  :)  I just thought it sounded like a good idea.  Seasons 1-3 I get B'leanna and Janeway eye candy, after that it's all about the Borg!!!  Motivation!  :D

Offline Hedge Kid

Reply #52 on: January 17, 2010, 02:04:47 AM
I like the idea of the motivation...it was the polished sci fi exercise video that had me a little unsure  :D

My up to date list is:

1. A Million Little Pieces - James Fry (Started last year but still reading, I have to keep putting it down because it can be really dark)
2. Life Makeovers - Cheryl Richardson (dull and uninspiring)
3. Light on Snow - Anita Shreve
4. 44 Scotland Street - Alexander McCall Smith
5. Love over Scotland Street - Alexander McCall Smith ( a fairly dull, faintly amusing series that I feel duty bound to finish
6. Three Cups of Tea - Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin (started last year but still reading - very inspiring but dull in places so keep putting it down.
7. Dead Air - Iain Banks (Interesting beginning, lost me a bit in the middle, excellent end)
8. Penknives and other folding knives - Simon Moore (Interesting little book, great kooky old knives. I have a couple of new spares if anyone's interested)
I

us Offline Pacu

Reply #53 on: January 17, 2010, 06:16:14 PM
So far since December i've read..

Back to Basics 3rd Edition- A complete guide to traditional skills
English Translation of the Meaning of Al-Qur'an- The Guidance for Mankind
Weird Texas
Weird USA
Weird New York
Foxfire 3 i think
SAS Survival Manual
my new Snap On Catalouge :D
and right now i'm kicking the tires on the last Harry Potter book.

Just finished the last Harry Potter :tu:

plus
A Rough Guide to Conspiracy Theories
Civil War Ghosts
Calvin and Hobbes Psycho Jungle Cat

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: January 17, 2010, 06:33:22 PM
Update:
My list so far:
8. Fatal Voyage-Kathy Reichs
9. Bare Bones-Kathy Reichs

Pacu, what did you think of the last Harry Potter? 

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Reply #55 on: January 17, 2010, 06:37:35 PM
A 100 books in 2010!  :o  I haven't read 100 books in my entire life!  :D
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: January 17, 2010, 06:49:39 PM
A 100 books in 2010!  :o  I haven't read 100 books in my entire life!  :D
Well see there?  The 100 books in 2010 is the perfect opportunity to rectify that.  In 2011 you'll be able to say, "I've read 100 books during my entire life!"  :D >:D

us Offline Pacu

Reply #57 on: January 17, 2010, 07:09:11 PM
Update:
My list so far:

It was great..sad about L,T, F, D, S, MEM, and his O.  Nice twist about the ownership of a certain object

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #58 on: January 17, 2010, 08:01:30 PM
Update:
My list so far:

It was great..sad about L,T, F, D, S, MEM, and his O.  Nice twist about the ownership of a certain object
Yeah, parts of it were incredibly sad.  And that was a cool twist wasn't it?  I love that book.  I might have to read it again.  :) Glad to hear you liked it.  :)

Offline Hedge Kid

Reply #59 on: January 18, 2010, 03:53:31 PM
Update:
My list so far:

I see a pattern emerging  ;)
I

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69