Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Challenge: 100 Books in 2010

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Challenge: 100 Books in 2010
Reply #60 on: January 18, 2010, 06:50:40 PM
I'm about to finish the Harry Potter book and after that I don't know what to read..  :think:
But I always liked Stephen King, Bret Easton Ellis, ect..  :tu:

The Dark Tower series is amazing, read all 7 books a few years back. J.R.R. Tolken is a great read, start with the Hobit and read the Lord of the Rings trilogy if you haven't read them already  :cheers:

Absolutely.  The Dark Tower series shows that King can do a lot more that churn out pulp horror novels (not that that's a bad thing either sometimes).

So far this year I've read:

The Kon-Tiki Expedition http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kon-Tiki
Wrath of the Lemming Men - Toby Frost
The Lost World - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Vol.1+2 Alan Moore (can we count graphic novels?)*
Swiss Army Knives A collector's companion - Derek Jackson

I've just made a start on The Road (Cormac McCarthy), very bleak and written in an interesting format but also very compulsive.

*BTW these have so little to do with the terrible film that was made after it's not even funny.  Other than a few of the same characters there really is nothing in common, no wonder Alan Moore wants nothing to do with film adaptations ever again.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Reply #61 on: January 18, 2010, 08:15:34 PM
If you like Thor Heyerdahl and the Kon-Tiki expedition Gareth the you are going to love the Kon-Tiki museum in Norway, I used to love that museum when I was a kid and I couldn't get enough of it and the Fram museum.
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #62 on: January 18, 2010, 08:35:16 PM
If you like Thor Heyerdahl and the Kon-Tiki expedition Gareth the you are going to love the Kon-Tiki museum in Norway, I used to love that museum when I was a kid and I couldn't get enough of it and the Fram museum.

if I ever manage to get to Norway it's on my 'must do' list. :tu:

Offline Hedge Kid

• Member 003 of the MickyD Fan Club
Reply #63 on: January 29, 2010, 03:35:29 PM
Ok, a few more to add.

1. A Million Little Pieces - James Fry (Started last year but still reading, I have to keep putting it down because it can be really dark)
2. Life Makeovers - Cheryl Richardson (dull and uninspiring)
3. Light on Snow - Anita Shreve
4. 44 Scotland Street - Alexander McCall Smith
5. Love over Scotland Street - Alexander McCall Smith ( a fairly dull, faintly amusing series that I feel duty bound to finish
6. Three Cups of Tea - Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin (started last year but still reading - very inspiring but dull in places so keep putting it down.
7. Dead Air - Iain Banks (Interesting beginning, lost me a bit in the middle, excellent end)
8. Penknives and other folding knives - Simon Moore (Interesting little book, great kooky old knives. I have a couple of new spares if anyone's interested)
9. The Reading Group - Elizabeth Noble (dull chick lit)
10. Rika's Jewel - Astrid Fox (filth)
11. Does Anything Eat Wasps - New Scientist (I love this series of books. Bought them for Son of Hedge Kid and am now working my way through them. Great way to get a variety of answers to odd questions  :D )
12. Currently reading - Aberystwyth Mon Amour - Malcolm Pryce (hilarious - Film noir style detective story set in Welsh Wales. The Welsh references are brilliant)
I

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #64 on: January 29, 2010, 04:24:17 PM
My list so far
1 get real - donald westlake
2 the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy - douglas adams
3 forward the foundation - issak asimov
4 foundation - issak asimov
5 foundation and empire - issak asimov (half way through)

Read "Prelude to Foundation" last year, a very nice series :cheers:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #65 on: January 29, 2010, 05:04:19 PM
1 The Kon-Tiki Expedition - Thor Heyerdahl
2 Wrath of the Lemming Men - Toby Frost
3 The Lost World - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
4 The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Vol.1+2 - Alan Moore
5 Swiss Army Knives A collector's companion - Derek Jackson
6 Forged in Battle - Justin Hunter

two on the go ATM; The Road (Cormac McCarthy).  Man the is a heavy book, not hard to read, in fact it moves along nicely, but it's a tough one to take.  You feel every heartache and every footstep the Man and the Boy take. :-\

So for a bit of 'light' entertainment I'm also reading "Jungle Soldier" the story of Freddy Spencer Chapman by Brian Moynahan.  Chapman spent the 1930's as a Arctic explorer, Himalayan climber and naturalist (flora and fauna, not naked ::)) before joining up for the War and deliberately spending three years fighting behind Japanese lines in Malaya.   Quite a character. :salute:

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #66 on: January 29, 2010, 05:28:01 PM
I did warn you :D

Definetly not an ideal book if your a Daddy :-\
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #67 on: January 29, 2010, 05:31:28 PM

Yes you did. :D  Like I say it's a good book, but I really gotta be in the right frame of mind to pick it up. :)

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #68 on: January 29, 2010, 06:12:53 PM

Yes you did. :D  Like I say it's a good book, but I really gotta be in the right frame of mind to pick it up. :)
Read it last year, amazing book, a must read :tu:

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #69 on: January 29, 2010, 06:30:05 PM
My list so far
1 get real - donald westlake
2 the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy - douglas adams
3 forward the foundation - issak asimov
4 foundation - issak asimov
5 foundation and empire - issak asimov (half way through)

Read "Prelude to Foundation" last year, a very nice series :cheers:

Loved the Foundation trilogy (you still need Second Foundation).

Currently, fighting my way through

1. An Elegant Universe--Brian Greene.

Almost finished, but WOW.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #70 on: March 01, 2010, 08:09:48 PM
1 The Kon-Tiki Expedition - Thor Heyerdahl
2 Wrath of the Lemming Men - Toby Frost
3 The Lost World - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
4 The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Vol.1+2 - Alan Moore
5 Swiss Army Knives A collector's companion - Derek Jackson
6 Forged in Battle - Justin Hunter
7 Jungle Soldier - Brian Moynahan
8 To The End of the Earth - Tom Avery
9 The Road - Cormac McCarthy

Finally finished the Road, as has been said it's not the easiest story to read but well worth it. :)

Just started re-reading the first book from The Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny.  A superb series of books for anyone who likes a bit of 'parallel worlds' fantasy.  It's certainly a lot more upbeat than the Road. :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chronicles_of_Amber#The_Amber_Multiverse

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #71 on: March 02, 2010, 06:13:07 AM
Updated
01 get real - donald westlake
02 the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy - douglas adams
03 forward the foundation - issak asimov
04 foundation - issak asimov
05 foundation and empire - issak asimov (half way through)
06 second foundation - isaac asimov
07 foundation's edge - issac asimov
08 foundation and earth - issac asimov
09 the short-timers - gustav hasford <-  amazing, Full Metal Jacket was based on this book
10 the girl who loved tom gordon - stephen king

Spring semester started today and it looks like I'll have at least 8 books to read, if read cover to cover will add them to the list.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #72 on: March 02, 2010, 09:52:15 PM
I'll never get near 20 books this year but I just bought my first books in years, The Stieg Larsson Trilogy: Men who hate women (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo), The girl who played with fire & The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest..
There'll be some good hours reading those..  :)

Offline Hedge Kid

Reply #73 on: March 05, 2010, 10:25:02 AM
Oooh someone's just lent me The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. It's supposed to be really good. I probably won't get to it for a while so tell me what you think of it.
I

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #74 on: March 05, 2010, 12:46:19 PM
Oooh someone's just lent me The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. It's supposed to be really good. I probably won't get to it for a while so tell me what you think of it.
I've only heard good things of it and the Millennium trilogy. Let us know how you like it. I'm putting the books on my wish list :cheers:

Offline Hedge Kid

Reply #75 on: March 10, 2010, 07:02:37 PM
Update time before the pile falls over and I forget what I've read:

1. A Million Little Pieces - James Fry (Started last year but still reading, I have to keep putting it down because it can be really dark)
2. Life Makeovers - Cheryl Richardson (dull and uninspiring)
3. Light on Snow - Anita Shreve
4. 44 Scotland Street - Alexander McCall Smith
5. Love over Scotland Street - Alexander McCall Smith ( a fairly dull, faintly amusing series that I feel duty bound to finish
6. Three Cups of Tea - Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin (started last year but still reading - very inspiring but dull in places so keep putting it down.
7. Dead Air - Iain Banks (Interesting beginning, lost me a bit in the middle, excellent end)
8. Penknives and other folding knives - Simon Moore (Interesting little book, great kooky old knives. I have a couple of new spares if anyone's interested)
9. The Reading Group - Elizabeth Noble (dull chick lit)
10. Rika's Jewel - Astrid Fox (filth)
11. Does Anything Eat Wasps - New Scientist (I love this series of books. Bought them for Son of Hedge Kid and am now working my way through them. Great way to get a variety of answers to odd questions   )
12. Aberystwyth Mon Amour - Malcolm Pryce (hilarious - Film noir style detective story set in Welsh Wales. The Welsh references are brilliant)
13. Single Mother on the Verge - Maria Roberts (darkly funny memoir of a woman with dreadful taste in men - chick lit)
14. The Big Blind - Louise Wener (Pretty good twisty tale of a woman looking for her long lost father and getting caught up in the poker scene)
15. Getting rid of Matthew - Jane Fallon (chick lit - entertaining tale but nothing special)
16. Vegetable Growing Month by Month - John Harrison (Good introductory book for those intending to grow their own but I really need something a little bit more advanced. His website's good though)
17. Red Velvet Chocolate Heartache - Harry Eastwood (Interesting book on baking using vegetables to replace the badness without sacrificing the naughtiness)
18. Sydney Food -Bill Granger (Interesting glimpse into food culture in Sydney)
19. Currently reading - Erskine's Box - Kim Lloyd (billed as being like the Wasp Factory, that's pretty high accolade but we'll see if it lives up to it!)
I

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #76 on: March 10, 2010, 08:42:24 PM
I'm 3 down so far this week...bringing my total for the year up to about 6 :P

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Reply #77 on: March 10, 2010, 10:18:21 PM
I better write down what I have ploughed through

1: Semper Mars by Ian Douglas
2: Luna Marine by Ian Douglas
3: Europa Strike by Ian Douglas
4: The Interrogator by Andrew Williams
5: Big Boy Rule by Steve Fainaru
6: Replay by Ken Grimwood
7: The Yellow Footprints: To Hell and Back by Gregg Stoner
8: The Few and The Proud by Larry Smith

Just started with Virtual Light by William Gibson
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

Offline Hedge Kid

Reply #78 on: March 11, 2010, 07:37:13 PM
I'm 3 down so far this week...bringing my total for the year up to about 6 :P

Most of mine are chick lit though...bubblegum for the brain and quick to read  :D
I

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #79 on: March 11, 2010, 10:07:17 PM
Mine tend to be a mix of Science Fiction/Fantasy, Psyche, & Non-Fiction regarding my profession.

The Psyche ones are a pain, some are good, some are utter smurf (apparently any smurfhole can publish a commentary on modern values, though their research possibly consists of watching The Simpsons and maybe a Michael Moore Doco (or at least the ads for a michael moore doco, so they've got the gist of it))

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
  • "When nothing goes right, go left"
Reply #80 on: March 18, 2010, 03:27:34 AM
Awesome everyone...wow!!! 
I haven't had a whole lot of time recently, but I manged to squeeze in a few. :)

My updated list:
Finished the Kathy Reich's series except for 206 Bones so that's 9
10. Permission to Recover - Technically not a physical book, but it was almost 600 pages so I think it qualifies.  Awesome story! 
11. Without a Front- Gorgeous story but probably a little too goopy for most. :)  I loved it though
Waiting for the final book in the "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" series...it doesn't come out til May though.  Not sure what I'm going to read next. 
Oh!  I finally finished Hunchback of Notre Dame.  Fantastic book!  Loved it. 
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #81 on: March 18, 2010, 07:46:31 AM
Oh!  I finally finished Hunchback of Notre Dame.  Fantastic book!  Loved it. 
Read it a few years ago when I was low on cash (classics cost less :D), got the unabridged version, was a bit of a struggle at first but did get better eventually, great book.

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #82 on: May 30, 2010, 03:06:43 AM
13. Graceful Waters
14. The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest-This was the third and sadly the last of Steig Larsson.  The others are "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" and "The Girl Who Played with Fire".  These are so fantastic I hardly have the words to describe them.  I had never heard of this author and on a whim picked up the first in the series.  After a bit of a rough start (lots of thorough background stuff) the first book took off and I was hooked.  Lisbeth Salander is the most unique heroines I've ever seen.  The first book intrigued me, the second one amazed me, and the third just blew me out of the water.  Highly recommend!
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #83 on: May 30, 2010, 04:08:58 AM
I forgot to add (and these are not in the right order)
15. Fingersmith-Sarah Waters
16. Tipping the Velvet-Sarah Waters
17. Affinity -Sarah Waters
18. The Night Watch
19. Artist's Dream
20. Behind the Pine Curtain

Offline Hedge Kid

Reply #84 on: June 28, 2010, 04:30:57 PM
When I find the scrappy list I've cobbled together I'll update my list but as this thread was also meant to suggest books for others to read...I have to second GrasonKs recommendation of the Millennium trilogy - the first of which is "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo". I refused to read it for ages even though it was recommended by loads of people because I generally find crime fiction predictable and pointlessly over violent. I have to say that these are probably the best books I've read in the last decade - and I read A LOT!  :D

The story lines are complicated without losing the reader, detailed without being over flowery and for the first time in years not predictable!!!! They are violent but not over dramatically. In fact it's the stripped down rawness of it that makes them so compelling to read. The characters are well thought out and develop well over the three books.

I am nearly at the end of the third book and it is fantastic. My only criticism would be that the dialogue is sometimes a little stilted and cheesy...but when you consider that they have been translated from Swedish, it's something I can easily forgive!

If you are looking for a book to read please read these ones. They really are worth it, I promise that you'll be hooked!  :tu:
I

Offline Hedge Kid

Reply #85 on: August 16, 2010, 09:00:11 PM
19. Currently reading - Erskine's Box - Kim Lloyd (billed as being like the Wasp Factory, that's pretty high accolade but we'll see if it lives up to it!)EDIT: It didn't. Give it a miss and read the Wasp Factory instead!
20. Essential guide to geocaching - Mike Dyer (Very basic beginners guide. Could probably get the same info from the website)
21. Down River - John Hart (Set in North Carolina near where I was staying. An interesting mystery story with some good twists and turns)
22. Zoology - Ben Dolnick (Set in New York zoo, intended to read it while I was there but was too busy! Ok little tale but nothing outstanding)
23. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Larsson (The best book I've read this year, can't wait to read the rest. Outstanding!!!)
24. The Cherryville Cookbook - (Vintage cookbook of southern recipes and tales from where we were in NC)
25. Food drying with an attitude - Mary T Bell (Great book with some fab ideas. Now I NEED a dehydrator!)
26. Seventh Heaven - Patti Smith
27. Several small books on Southern cooking, language and folklore. (Counting as one books cos they're small and took me hardly any time to read.)
28. The Road Kill Cookbook - B.R. "Buck" Peterson (Worth the read for some good ideas and recipes. Nice sense of dark humour. Most of it only useful if you live in the USA!)
29. The Girl who played with fire - Larsson
30. The girl who kicked the hornets nest - Larsson (As I said above, if you haven't read these - READ THEM!)
31. We are all made of glue - Marina Lewycka (From the author of "A Short history of tractors in Ukrainian" - as always, great characters, hilarious dialogue. Nice light read after the darkness of the Millennium trilogy)
32. Paper Lanterns - Christine Coleman (Good tale of hidden family histories with good humour and well written characters. I can also strongly recommend Christine's first novel - The Dangerous Sports Euthanasia Society)
33. Diva's don't knit - Gil McNeil (Knitting related chick lit)
34. Eating People is wrong - Malcolm Bradbury (Funny characters and good tale but a little dated in the language and slow moving for me)
35. The Angel's Game - Carlos Ruiz Zafon (Slow to start but an interesting supernatural historical thriller)

As expected, there are more that I haven't written down. Unless I truly love a novel I read it and give it away.

I've only got a small pile of books waiting to read now...so come on guys, up date your lists and make some suggestions so I know what to read next  :pok:
I

Offline Abe Arceo

Reply #86 on: August 24, 2010, 05:32:44 PM
I won't be able to join the challenge, but I must say that I just finished reading the Percy Jackson series and that series is now in my top 5.  Absolutely loved the book.

I also just discovered the whole world of audio books too...now the commute to work doesn't seem so bad :)
<

spam Offline zepla

• No Life Club
  • Where is all that water coming from?!
Reply #87 on: August 24, 2010, 05:45:57 PM

Offline zatoichi

Reply #88 on: August 24, 2010, 11:22:15 PM
I found this board late.

But I did read the following:

1) Freefall by Joseph Stiglitz
2)Crisis Economics by Noriel Roubini
3)13 Bankers: The Wall Street Takeover and the Next Financial Meltdown by Simon Johnson
4)The People's History of the United States:1492 to Present by Howard Zinn
5)Sharpes' Rifles by Bernard Cornwall
6)Sharpe's Battle by Bernard Cornwall
7)Sharpe's Eagle by Bernard Cornwall
8)Sharpe's Battalion by Bernard Cornwall
9)Sharpe's Triumph by Bernard Cornwall
10)The Burning Land by Bernard Cornwall
11)Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortensen

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #89 on: August 25, 2010, 04:50:55 AM
I found this board late.

But I did read the following:

1) Freefall by Joseph Stiglitz
2)Crisis Economics by Noriel Roubini
3)13 Bankers: The Wall Street Takeover and the Next Financial Meltdown by Simon Johnson
4)The People's History of the United States:1492 to Present by Howard Zinn
5)Sharpes' Rifles by Bernard Cornwall
6)Sharpe's Battle by Bernard Cornwall
7)Sharpe's Eagle by Bernard Cornwall
8)Sharpe's Battalion by Bernard Cornwall
9)Sharpe's Triumph by Bernard Cornwall
10)The Burning Land by Bernard Cornwall
11)Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortensen

Is the Sharpes' Rifles book about Sharps Rifles? :)

edit: Ooop, nevermind, I just googled and found out it isn't :-[
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 04:52:45 AM by J-sews »
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%