Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Yay Swisstool!

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Yay Swisstool!
on: January 06, 2010, 09:51:11 PM
So I got my x-mas present today   :D a Swisstool X. I really like it. The tools have that miniscule up and down play I often hear about but nothing that affects function. No plier head play at all.

It does have a few blemishes though. There's a couple small stains on the plier head, looks like it was dirty and they polished over the dirt making them basically permanent. There's also a small but pretty deep gouge right near the "3" on the ruler.

Normally these things would bug the crap outta me but not so much in this case. It prevents the problem I have with the Spirit and it being so pristine I don't wanna use it lol. And I bought the Swisstool to be a user so pretty soon those blemishes will blend right in with all the new ones I add :). Mostly though I'd rather not send it back for something so minor and functionally irrelevant and risk getting one back with plier play or something.

Even though the fit and finish isn't quite as perfect as my Spirit, it's still better than any  LM I've bought and overall I'm really pleased with the tool. While on the large/heavy side it's still lighter and thinner than the Surge so carrying it is no problem.  Some of the impliments are a bit on the tight side and don't snap into place quite as nice, but no big deal. Pliers are a lot stubbier than I was expecting, but they sure do look like they could take a direct hit from a main battle tank   ;) for finer work I have my CT34 pliers so I have everything covered. I can't wait to start really using this tool, I'm confident that it will serve me really well.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Yay Swisstool!
Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 09:53:59 PM
Glad you happy with it mate. They really are superb tools :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 12:09:39 AM
It ain't a proper tool until it's got a few scars.

That's what I say :)
I used to come here a lot.

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 12:22:22 AM
Indeed :) I got to use it a bit. Just the phillips. Didn't slip ;)

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 12:25:12 AM
It will ;)

I used to come here a lot.

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 12:32:14 AM
 :D I'm sure it will. Honestly there's a decent chance I may  wind up doing a bit of filing to de-slippify the driver if I wind up having too much trouble.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 02:32:11 AM
Well at least you won't have to worry about rust !

Chris

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 03:57:01 AM
Good score bullfrog! :salute:

What year is yours if I may ask?  Link: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,2463.0.html
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 04:02:23 AM
My Mom used it a little bit ago  while I was at her place to tighten some screws in a foot stool. No slipping for her either.  :tu: My only real complaint is that the handle with the knife seems like it was tightened a tad too far. The tools don't have the same "snap" as the other handle. The knife is the worst. Just before it's fully extended it starts to drag quite a bit. If you try and open it fast it's easy for your fingers to slip off it before it locks into place, and the lock doesn't feel like it locks. It DOES lock, perfectly fine with zero play in fact, but it doesn't snap at all. It just kinda "mushes" into place and doesn't make any noise. Really it's a minor quibble though and as I use it a bit it seems to be freeing up to some extent. Works well enough.
 I'm really contemplating removing he paint though. I think the Spirit with it's unbroken shiny polish looks so much better. I already removed the "d" in "Pat Pend" with my thumbnail so I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to do. I do gotta say though, despite it not having that "perfection" of the Spirit, something about the tool just instills confidence in me. I have no qualms whatsoever about using it as hard as I may have to. Just handling the thing, I know it'll be a dependable tool I can count on at any time, for a long time. I'm really happy with it. Still wish it had an eyeglass driver built in, but oh well, gotta compromise somewhere right?

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 04:05:00 AM
Good score bullfrog! :salute:

What year is yours if I may ask?  Link: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,2463.0.html

Brand new with the '05 head. I know a lot of people complain about the jaws not opening far enough, but they open plenty wide enough for anything I'm likely to use it for.

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 03:24:04 PM
Haha! Nice! I just removed the painted label off the Swisstool. Did it just now still laying in bed. Used the scraper/chisel on the Spirit. Took the paint right off. Didn't scratch the surface at all. No marring or paint residue. Took maybe a minute and a half tops. Can't tell the paint was ever on there to begin with. It looks soooooo much better now.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 09:45:02 PM
Glad you're having fun with it. They do seem a tad bit crude after a Spirit !

Chris

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 10:20:24 PM
It does seem slightly on the crude side compared to the Spirit (and makes my old LMs feel downright archaic in many ways) but to be honest I like it better that way. That bit of crudeness makes it feel much much more "tool-like". I was always afraid to use the Spirit and every time I did I would examine it for any evidence of damage. It did incur a few knicks here and there and I would obsess over them, like a fine watch had been damaged, or a piece of jewelery tarnished. With the Swisstool I don't have any hesitation to use it the way it was meant to be used. It has enough of that "jewelry" vibe to still be somewhat classy and gentlemanly. It's still inoffensive and elegant and just plain nice, but has just enough of a rough edge to it to remind you of what it really is and is capable of.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%