Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

PowerAssist Scissors and Custom Pouch

Offline RTAdams89

PowerAssist Scissors and Custom Pouch
on: January 09, 2010, 08:29:15 AM
I ordered the scissors accessory and the MOLLE pouch from SOG back in early December. The package was apparently lost, so after having it re-shipped, I received the items today.

First the bad news: apparently, the scissors don't work in the PowerAssist. I watched the video SOG created, followed all the directions, and played with everything for about an hour. No matter how or where the scissors are put, there was some issue (pliers not able to close, etc.) I called SOG and spoke with someone there. She informed me that she didn't think scissors would work in the PowerAssist. She told me that she thought they included the V-cutter by default because they couldn't get the scissors to work. The SOG website lists the scissors as compatible with the PowerAssit, but from what I have seen, they are not.

Now the good news! The MOLLE pouch was a bit too hefty for my application, but after a little modification, it is now the perfect horizontal belt holster for me. Also includes a second compartment for cash or what ever else!
P1080033 (Small).JPG
* P1080033 (Small).JPG (Filesize: 66.31 KB)
P1080036 (Small).JPG
* P1080036 (Small).JPG (Filesize: 55.62 KB)

Offline Magnus

Re: PowerAssist Scissors and Custom Pouch
Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 09:49:34 AM
I can't see why the scissors wouldn't work, the powerassist is just a powerlock with one handle replaced with the AO blades after all.  On the other hand, you aren't missing much...
[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 08:03:15 PM
The scissors don't work? ??? That is surprising. :(
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline RTAdams89

Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 08:14:53 PM
It MAY just be with the components I chose. I opted to take out the large flat screw driver and the V-cutter. With the two can/bottle openers, phillips screw driver, file, and scissors, there was no way to make it work. But again, the employee at SOG didn't seem to think it would ever work, so who knows.

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 10:01:42 PM
Even with regular powerlock the scissor isn't plug and play. You need to tweak the components and arrange them in certain way. I tried to install it on mine but just couldn't get it to work with my preferred tool set, so I give up and stayed with serrated line cutter (which is 100X better than that retarded v-cutter, and guess which one they discontinued?).

Offline RTAdams89

Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 10:47:08 PM
I've heard a bit about the serrated line cutter (in looking into my issue). The only pictures I've found of this make it look utterly pointless, yet all the comments about it are positive. Do you have any closeup pictures of the serrated line cutter, and/or a place to get one?

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 10:56:25 PM
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 12:40:54 AM
It's basically a cutting hook with wavy edge along the length, and you can actually sharpen it.

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 05:41:14 AM
I ordered the scissors accessory and the MOLLE pouch from SOG back in early December. The package was apparently lost, so after having it re-shipped, I received the items today.

First the bad news: apparently, the scissors don't work in the PowerAssist. I watched the video SOG created, followed all the directions, and played with everything for about an hour. No matter how or where the scissors are put, there was some issue (pliers not able to close, etc.) I called SOG and spoke with someone there. She informed me that she didn't think scissors would work in the PowerAssist. She told me that she thought they included the V-cutter by default because they couldn't get the scissors to work. The SOG website lists the scissors as compatible with the PowerAssit, but from what I have seen, they are not.

Now the good news! The MOLLE pouch was a bit too hefty for my application, but after a little modification, it is now the perfect horizontal belt holster for me. Also includes a second compartment for cash or what ever else!

You cannot install scissor in PowerAssist.Here is the link from SOG: http://sogknives.com/store/PL-ACC-SCISS.html   
   "  This component is not a replacement for the assisted-opening blades on the PowerAssist."         

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 06:08:08 AM

You cannot install scissor in PowerAssist.Here is the link from SOG: http://sogknives.com/store/PL-ACC-SCISS.html  
   "  This component is not a replacement for the assisted-opening blades on the PowerAssist."          

With that said, someone did manage to fit scissors into one... I think it was placed at one of the ends of the bay and took the place of the V-cutter and can opener.  I'll dig around for the post later.

[Edit:  Picture proof.]

« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 06:19:07 AM by Sazabi »

Offline Magnus

Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 11:59:30 AM

"  This component is not a replacement for the assisted-opening blades on the PowerAssist."         

I think that is just saying you cannot replace one of the blades in the AO handle with scissors.
[

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 01:15:03 PM
That's my take on it as well.
I'm back!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20