Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Brand loyalty

Dunc · 50 · 4109

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Brand loyalty
Reply #30 on: January 07, 2010, 01:32:53 PM
For me ive had a LM wave since 98 and had a few SAK's over the years, but i love trying new stuff ,be it unbranded or branded, the 'A' nuf MT i got a few weeks back was cheap but it dont make it rubbish time will tell me that, im a bit of a bargain hunter so it depends on what i find, but Im a big SAK fan and find them affordable so will always have one as a EDC  :D

paul

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #31 on: January 07, 2010, 02:35:58 PM
.. im a bit of a bargain hunter ....

Nowt wrong with that. I don't think I've ever paid full price for a multi.

How's the A Nuf working out btw?
I used to come here a lot.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #32 on: January 07, 2010, 02:46:51 PM
.. im a bit of a bargain hunter ....

Nowt wrong with that. I don't think I've ever paid full price for a multi.

How's the A Nuf working out btw?

its ok dave, im taking over from the handy man next week as he is on holidays for 2 weeks, so i should give it more action, well thats if my LM wave dont turn up,  :-\ but if it does ill still use the 'A' nuf out , just fingers crossed my wave turns up as i have a bad feeling at the moment ,  :-[

paul

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #33 on: January 07, 2010, 03:33:55 PM
My favorite is the multitool.

Started with Leatherman have acquired a 'few' ::) Swiss , Yank , Japanese , Chinese...... love em all  :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

Offline grimm_kaosboy

Reply #34 on: January 07, 2010, 04:03:05 PM
I tend to be hard on my tools, although usually not THAT hard. Unfortunately at the time the inner/outer die couplings were flush fit. When you work in a manufactoring plant and the only machine you have that produces a product is down you bite the bullet sometimes. Luckily I got the plant manager to buy its replacement.
And thankfully the die couplings now have a recessed lip on the inner die. So now if they are stuck together I can use a screwdriver to drive/wedge them apart.
Dunc, I know what you mean about trying different brands. For instance, for packs and bags I LOVE Maxpedition. But I dislike their organizers and HATE their wallets. For organizers and wallets I perfer SPECops brand. I've tried several brands of sporks and have decided I like SnowPeak the best. I try them all, but once I find a favorite I tend to stick with it.
Although I will occasionaly "cheat" on them, just to spice things up. In the end though it usually just re-enforces as to why I like brand x for the product line I've chosen.
T

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #35 on: January 09, 2010, 04:54:53 AM
I'm an engineer so no brand loyalty whatsoever: it's always about what's the best tool for the job at hand under the given circumstances.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: January 09, 2010, 12:16:00 PM
Some brands I trust , some I know to be Naff , some I'm willing to try .

In tools I generally stick with what I trust , Victorinox , Kline , Metabo , Hilti etc . For Tinsnips it's Wiss . For Multi's it would be Bear , ( hard to find ) , Leatherman , or Vic.

With SAK like devices , I don' t think I would be willing to play with clones .

I've had a couple of light failures that were a bit nasty , so once again I stick with what I know to be trustworthy .

Chris

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: January 09, 2010, 01:06:39 PM
Brand loyalty goes so far as to expect high quality offerings from companies you experience high quality merchandise from.

But only a fool would then refuse to sample what competitors have to offer, you would be missing out on a lot.

00 Offline 1jump2many

Reply #38 on: January 09, 2010, 03:14:25 PM
Maybe I should start another thread with this question but the thread made me wonder which brands members disliked.  I'm not a Gerber fan.  I own a few but after I've bought them I always seemed disappointed.  So I guess this is question is more about brand disloyalty. 
[

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #39 on: January 09, 2010, 03:16:30 PM
I think that's been answered mostly 1J2M.

If people evaluate each tool regardless of the brand, that works both ways surely?

00 Offline 1jump2many

Reply #40 on: January 09, 2010, 06:23:27 PM
Yes, that is a good point and it seems to be the consensus.  I was curious if members had a particular brand they didn't even consider or evaluate due to a past experience. 
[

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #41 on: January 09, 2010, 06:27:21 PM
Oh I bet some do. That doesn't mean they'd admit it though, as that would contradict what they'd posted above  :P

00 Offline 1jump2many

Reply #42 on: January 09, 2010, 11:40:13 PM
That is what I was thinking too.  I usually stay away from buying any Gerber tools anymore but I still have a look at their new tools when they come out just in case.  Years ago I gave my Dad a couple Gerber MT's.  I know he still has them because he mentioned them when I was talking to him on the phone.  He doesn't use them though.  Next time I visit him I'll have to check them out and see what they are.  If they are any good, I'll go buy him a Leatherman Kick and take back the old Gerber's.   :D    He won't care, the Kick will end up in his glove box never to be used too.
[

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #43 on: January 09, 2010, 11:47:43 PM
Lol :D

Offline Magnus

Reply #44 on: January 10, 2010, 12:09:55 AM
Maybe I should start another thread with this question but the thread made me wonder which brands members disliked.  I'm not a Gerber fan.  I own a few but after I've bought them I always seemed disappointed.  So I guess this is question is more about brand disloyalty. 

Not multi-tools per se, but I tend to avoid the more generic brands that seem to just trade on their name and flog poor quality rubbish, like stanley, draper, etc
[

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #45 on: January 10, 2010, 05:32:08 AM

Not multi-tools per se, but I tend to avoid the more generic brands that seem to just trade on their name and flog poor quality rubbish, like stanley, draper, etc

I know where you are coming from :-\ I see that you have put Stanley and that is a shame as they were once a very great producer of some very fine tools (they still produce a few) but as so many companies do, they fail by the wayside and started rebranding everything that they could and it comes back to bite them more times than not :(

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: January 10, 2010, 04:42:01 PM
It's sad to see a company go down the tube , quality wise . Gerber used to be the mark of a proud and savy outdoorsman . all the cool kids used to have an FSII in their back pocket , siding their wallet .

Chris

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #47 on: January 10, 2010, 05:21:38 PM
It's sad to see a company go down the tube , quality wise . Gerber used to be the mark of a proud and savy outdoorsman . all the cool kids used to have an FSII in their back pocket , siding their wallet .

Chris

I wouldn't say Gerber were going down the tube .

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #48 on: January 10, 2010, 05:30:06 PM
I think it is fair to say based upon the photos of my collection, I don't mind going into the cheap end of the pool for an interesting MT. In fact, I am quite surprised at the quality of some of them for the price.

You just never know until you get it home, open the pack, and have a good look around.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: January 10, 2010, 05:35:49 PM

Chris

I wouldn't say Gerber were going down the tube .

I would. Do they have a decent tool here and there? Well sure of course they do. And some cool designs to boot. But the piss poor build quality of a lot of their tools has really killed their reputation and I don't think they care. They still gazillions of tools to people who don't know any better. Those who do know better still buy the few things that Gerber gets right. So they do fine. Honestly I wish their lack of overall quality would bit them in the ass already so they have a reason to step up their game. If their build quality matched their innovation, they'd be a force to reckoned with.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%