Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

EDC for College?

yud · 17 · 2040

Poll

What should I carry

Champion alone
9 (22.5%)
Classic
10 (25%)
Waitress
5 (12.5%)
Soldier/SI
12 (30%)
Trooper
4 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Voting closed: January 11, 2010, 04:50:52 PM

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
  • Still has a SOGgy feeling
EDC for College?
on: January 06, 2010, 04:50:52 PM
Tomorrow spring semester starts, so no more carrying 3 or 4 SAKs (I like to stay under the radar), so in addition to my Champion, what else should I carry (my college has no problem with knives)

Champion alone
Classic
Waitress mod (http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=20263&id=1076017517&l=26c43e306d)
Soldier/SI
Trooper

Vote early vote often

Just another weirdo with a beard :B:

Knight of the SOSAK and Defender of the sacred nail file

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Re: EDC for College?
Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 04:53:35 PM
i would said soldier :tu:
A

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 04:55:30 PM
To avoid the most duplication, I'd go with the Classic as at least it gives you more options.
I'm back!!

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 05:08:02 PM
 :imws:  :D

Also, it's very non-offensive, should anyone be bothered by you carrying something.
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 05:11:39 PM
I kinda like the Waitress myself... are you certain you can't go for a Cadet instead though?  >:D

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 05:13:26 PM
I would suggest sticking with the Champ.  Even though it's the biggest, it's also the least likely "weapon" and most recognizable as a Swiss Army Knife (except maybe the Classic!) and so it's probably the most publicly acceptable.  Plus, it has pretty well any tool you may need.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 05:16:38 PM
I would suggest sticking with the Champ.  Even though it's the biggest, it's also the least likely "weapon" and most recognizable as a Swiss Army Knife (except maybe the Classic!) and so it's probably the most publicly acceptable.  Plus, it has pretty well any tool you may need.

Def

i agree as most people see a SAK as just that and not as a weapon, its a everyday tool ,

paul

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 05:24:47 PM
I kinda like the Waitress myself... are you certain you can't go for a Cadet instead though?  >:D
I don't have one :-[

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 05:26:57 PM
Some time ago a member of SOSAK was harassed by a police officer in a convenience store for carrying a Soldier.  The officer believed the knife was over the legal length (measured it on his fingers) and argued that it was not a Swiss Army Knife since it didn't have red plastic handles.  When the member argued, the officer pressed the issue until his supervisor was called in (along with numerous other officers) who apologized to the SOSAK member.

While this may have taken place in the US, he was also a recently retired gentleman out walking with his wife and trying to buy a coffee, which means he may have been relatively non-threatening, while a college student may not be dismissed as easily.

About a year ago, a high school student's car was searched on school grounds, and the student was expelled under a zero tolerance policy when the security person found a Swiss Army Knife in the center console.

Never underestimate the power of a self important authority figure having a bad day.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 06:01:12 PM
Some time ago a member of SOSAK was harassed by a police officer in a convenience store for carrying a Soldier.  The officer believed the knife was over the legal length (measured it on his fingers) and argued that it was not a Swiss Army Knife since it didn't have red plastic handles.  When the member argued, the officer pressed the issue until his supervisor was called in (along with numerous other officers) who apologized to the SOSAK member.

While this may have taken place in the US, he was also a recently retired gentleman out walking with his wife and trying to buy a coffee, which means he may have been relatively non-threatening, while a college student may not be dismissed as easily.

About a year ago, a high school student's car was searched on school grounds, and the student was expelled under a zero tolerance policy when the security person found a Swiss Army Knife in the center console.

Never underestimate the power of a self important authority figure having a bad day.

Def

Amen to that!  :salute:
I'm back!!

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 06:06:37 PM
Def
Amen to that!  :salute:
+1  :tu:
Bring a knifeless Fuse or something like that if you really need carrying something at college..

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 06:25:40 PM
Champ or Soldier . My preference would be for the Soldier . Bottom line , If the Campus Cops wanna do you , consider yourself done . A soldier flys under the radar , carried deep in a pocket . A Champ/Swisschamp is just plain nifty , and oh so usefull .

Chris

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 07:09:30 PM
I think the Waitress would be good for college,for the time that you forget your pen,and being the hit of the party for the only one with a wine opener,and for the time you have nothing to do,clean your nails.
 :cheers:& :salute:

Offline grimm_kaosboy

Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 04:21:29 PM
Yud said in his opening post that the college doesn't have problem with knives, not sure what he meant by wanting to stay under the radar though...
I voted for the Champion,as I'm assuming the choices are based on what you own. That being said, throwing a classic on the keys wouldn't hurt a bit although redundant in features. And if you're talking about a new soldier (OHT style) if you NEED a larger, locking blade would be a nice addition.
T

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 05:03:40 PM
I'd say either just the Champion or perhaps add a Classic. 
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #15 on: January 07, 2010, 05:18:45 PM
Champion.  But if you want a fiddle tool while in class, bring the classic along.  Less likely to evoke a freak out response.

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: January 11, 2010, 04:49:39 PM
well Champion and Soldier it is then :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!