Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman MUT?

SoDak · 292 · 81898

ca Offline bdl931

• I'm not a tool snob,I have lots of Leathermans!
Re: Leatherman MUT?
Reply #60 on: January 21, 2010, 12:52:59 AM
This WILL be mine at the first opportunity I get. With my profession,150.00 is a small price to pay!
My current EDC:
Leatherman MUT SS with bit kit
CRKT mini My Tighe folder
Surefire A2 Aviator (incan W/W)
CRKT Tao pen

spam Offline ba55man

• Ba Dum Tschhhh
Reply #61 on: January 21, 2010, 01:01:55 AM
It looks a beautiful piece of kit, pricey but looks worth it  :gimme:

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #62 on: January 21, 2010, 02:02:17 AM
Just had a thought, a question for those who have had the privilege of holding the tool, could they have incorporated a prybar into the hammer end by having it tilt up slightly at the end and have a notch in the middle?

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
Reply #63 on: January 21, 2010, 02:42:42 AM
This tool almost makes me wish that I was back in the Marine Corps. 

us Online David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #64 on: January 21, 2010, 05:30:17 AM
WOW!  :o It's like my dream Skeletool! It's so friggin awesome I cannot describe it! Only thing is, I don't have any rifle to disassemble  :-[ Still very cool, I can see this design changing overtime and maybe merging into something more civilian and what not and not so much a riffle maintenance tool. Somehow I still want one, it's like a Skeletool that has been pimped or something.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #65 on: January 21, 2010, 07:48:47 AM
Just had a thought, a question for those who have had the privilege of holding the tool, could they have incorporated a prybar into the hammer end by having it tilt up slightly at the end and have a notch in the middle?

I think that is an excellent suggestion Raukodur. :salute:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

spam Offline zepla

• No Life Club
  • Where is all that water coming from?!
Reply #66 on: January 21, 2010, 11:11:25 AM

That's what I was thinking as well  :cheers:

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #67 on: January 21, 2010, 01:45:02 PM
I have wanted a full size Skeletool ever since I got one. That BAD BOY looks great.
I wonder if LM will do a CUT  :P(Civilian Utility Tool) I would HAVE to get that one if it shared most of the MUT's cool features  :gimme: :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

spam Offline zepla

• No Life Club
  • Where is all that water coming from?!
Reply #68 on: January 21, 2010, 03:36:38 PM
+1

But that pricetag, that need some work done by Leatherman if you'de ask me. $150,- that is a bit much  :ahhh

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #69 on: January 21, 2010, 03:59:41 PM

The hammer end is essentially a pry bar, which is how the ejector tool works.  There isn't a notch in it, but it should work well enough for prying.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline matt

Reply #70 on: January 21, 2010, 05:10:42 PM
Where do I send my money?????????holy crap thats awsome!!!I am getting the black oxide version.come on september.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #71 on: January 21, 2010, 05:13:28 PM
Where do I send my money?????????holy crap thats awsome!!!I am getting the black oxide version.come on september.
Can't you just grap one (or two) and run like hell, Def..??  :pok:  ;)

us Online David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #72 on: January 21, 2010, 05:52:22 PM
I am seriously looking at this tool, I know it's MADE for maintaining the riffle but it could be used for EDC quite easily, sure you would not use all the tools but the saw, knife, driver, hammer/pry, etc can all be used. I know the $150 tag seems steep but that is MSRP probably and we can probably later find it on the net for like $100 I bet. This tool has some serious promise and once again shows us that Leatherman strives to keep packing more tools in such a small package.

us Offline Viking

• J-sews Fan Club-- Member #0001
Reply #73 on: January 21, 2010, 07:09:47 PM
I have wanted a full size Skeletool ever since I got one. That BAD BOY looks great.
I wonder if LM will do a CUT  :P(Civilian Utility Tool) I would HAVE to get that one if it shared most of the MUT's cool features  :gimme: :D

Don't let a little ol' name scare you away.  Just because it says Military doesn't mean you can't own it.  If you want it, buy it! :D

Offline umberto00

Reply #74 on: January 21, 2010, 08:50:51 PM
I WANT ONE! I really like the design of the skeletool, just wished it had a saw. This looks like a great combo!

ni-ulster Offline cerbera147

• No Life Club
Reply #75 on: January 21, 2010, 09:52:43 PM
 :gimme:  :multi:

Start saving now then  ::)  :D

us Offline turbov21

Reply #76 on: January 21, 2010, 11:22:40 PM
...I wonder how many Leatherman nuts here will also purchase a gun simply to test some of the impliments on this tool... :D

I'm considering it, and ironically my reason before now for not wanting a gun was because I didn't trust myself to clean it enough to keep it safe.  However, now that I have a LM that helps with cleaning, I can get a gun to justify getting the multitool which will justify getting the gun.  Circular logic is the best kind of logic.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #77 on: January 21, 2010, 11:25:02 PM
I'm considering it, and ironically my reason before now for not wanting a gun was because I didn't trust myself to clean it enough to keep it safe.  However, now that I have a LM that helps with cleaning, I can get a gun to justify getting the multitool which will justify getting the gun.  Circular logic is the best kind of logic.
Win - Win Situation..  :D :D

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #78 on: January 21, 2010, 11:31:50 PM
Holy cow!

Awesome report as always guys!

I'm definitely in for this one. A OH blade and a saw plus a pocket clip!

:ahhh

us Offline Viking

• J-sews Fan Club-- Member #0001
Reply #79 on: January 22, 2010, 12:47:58 AM
Found some more pics. :drool:

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #80 on: January 22, 2010, 12:53:43 AM
questiong, whats with the hole in plier head? :think:
A

us Online David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #81 on: January 22, 2010, 12:58:11 AM
Hole? You mean where the wire cutter inserts go?

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #82 on: January 22, 2010, 01:28:57 AM
I think he means the 1 in the side :think: What is that there for ??? :D

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #83 on: January 22, 2010, 01:35:54 AM
I think he means the 1 in the side :think: What is that there for ??? :D

yes :tu:
A

us Online David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #84 on: January 22, 2010, 02:03:19 AM
Not a clue  ???

I am telling you guys, I need to stop looking at this tool. I really don't need one but it's drawing me to it every time I see it, it's just so damn sexy!

00 Offline 1jump2many

Reply #85 on: January 22, 2010, 02:31:10 AM
Is this tool designed specifically for the M4/AR?  To be honest the so called weapons tools don't seem to be any kind of engineering break though.  The "Cleaning Rod/Brush Adapter" sounds like it just turns the tool into a cleaning rod handle.  You will still need a cleaning rod(s).  The "Replaceable Firearms Disassembly Punch" sounds like a small metal rod used to push out the Take Down Pin and the Receiver Pivot Pin.  We used to use either the tip of a round or a section of a cleaning rod.  And I don't know what to think about the "Replaceable Bronze Carbon Scraper".  Bore burshes are brass and I would think a lot more effect removing carbon out of the bore.  That said, the tool is "cool" looking and I will probably get one.  I just think the whole connection to weapons maintenance is a bit overblown.  :think: 
[

00 Offline RaptorMan

• No Life Club
Reply #86 on: January 22, 2010, 03:51:22 AM
I must find a way to be the first one on MTO to get this tool!!!!!!!!

Offline Dizos

Reply #87 on: January 22, 2010, 05:40:15 AM
Wow, I'm late to the party.  Hammer!!!  The clip looks nicely robust and having the hammer justifies the extra length allowing for the carabiner. 

Is this tool designed specifically for the M4/AR?  To be honest the so called weapons tools don't seem to be any kind of engineering break though.  The "Cleaning Rod/Brush Adapter" sounds like it just turns the tool into a cleaning rod handle.  You will still need a cleaning rod(s).  The "Replaceable Firearms Disassembly Punch" sounds like a small metal rod used to push out the Take Down Pin and the Receiver Pivot Pin.  We used to use either the tip of a round or a section of a cleaning rod.  And I don't know what to think about the "Replaceable Bronze Carbon Scraper".  Bore burshes are brass and I would think a lot more effect removing carbon out of the bore.  That said, the tool is "cool" looking and I will probably get one.  I just think the whole connection to weapons maintenance is a bit overblown.  :think: 

I agree.  That said, I think the Mut is screaming for mods.  I would like to see the bronze scraper replaced with a steel awl and the disassembly punch replaced with a precision screwdriver with a reversible bit.

Hammer!!!!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #88 on: January 22, 2010, 06:49:28 AM
questiong, whats with the hole in plier head? :think:

The hole is to allow a place to screw in the cleaning rod when the tool is closed so it acts like a T handle.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #89 on: January 22, 2010, 07:45:50 AM

Good observations 1J2M. :salute: Some additional information to consider:

Replaceable Firearms Disassembly Punch is indeed nothing more than a small metal rod intended for pushing out pins. In the event that those pins should get jammed tight however, the Disassembly Punch can be quickly unscrewed from the MUT and then tapped on with the hammer portion of the tool in order to remove the stubborn pin. (Note that the female threads on the Punch are recessed somewhat from the end, so light blows from the hammer should not damage it)

Replaceable Bronze Carbon Scraper was intended to scrape carbon build-up from the gas piston and rod assembly, not the bore. (I'm not fluent with the care and maintenence of these rifles, but the carbon build-up on the sample rifle we were shown was more than what a bronze brush alone could remove) :-\ The scraper itself was made of a bronze alloy specifically so that it would not be able to damage the piston mechanism.

By the way, the bronze scraper, the disassembly punch, the long flat driver bits, and the tool steel cutting inserts will all be available as seperate replacement items.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%