Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

2010 SHOT- Wenger booth

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
2010 SHOT- Wenger booth
on: January 20, 2010, 04:06:24 PM
Wenger's plan last year is continuing this year- some new stuff, but more about rounding out the foundation of the existing line than coming out with some earth shattering new products.  They had so many new models so fast that it's really good to see them putting some substance behind all the flash.

The ones that caught my eye are the new Patagonian Expedition Knives, which is something I was waiting for since I first saw the EVOGrip 18 in yellow:

The series consists of a New Ranger 178, EVOGrip 18 and an EVOGrip 81 (think Esquire with EVOGrip scales) all in yellow with the Patagonian Expedition logo laser etched into the rubber similar to the 2009 and 2007 SOSAK Knives of the Year.

As you can imagine I have been drooling over the idea of a yellow Ranger 178 (OHT type) for some time, and I was thrilled to see it actually happen!

It was almost impossible to leave the knife at the table when we left the booth!

There's also a new Alinghi model which gets the EVOGrip treatment, and gets a hexagonal slot cutout in the handle.  The gray inserts really set off the black scales, and makes this a really eye catching knife!

The sheath has also been redesigned to include space for flat head and phillips screwdriver bits.  They are standard 1/4" hex bits, so you can swap them out to whatever bits you need!

Other than the new look, new sheath and the screwdriver slot, this new knife is all Alinghi!

And, since Peter Hug, CEO of Wenger SA did it to me, I'm doing it to you..... he hinted at the possibility of a new knife coming out in the spring, but he had few details and wasn't letting out the few he did have!  He was confident that we would like it, and that SOSAK members would be the first to hear about it!  I plan to harass him constantly, and I'll post new info as soon as it becomes available.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Re: 2010 SHOT- Wenger booth
Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 04:13:11 PM
Really like both of these, especially the Alinghi model.  I wish it had the phillips rather than the corkscrew, but I like the addition of the 1/4 inch bit driver opening.

Might have to plump for one of those...  :think:

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 04:51:24 PM
YES!!! I'm excited about the Patagonian lineup!  I've been waiting for these for a while now and they look better than I imagined... and they're yellow too!  My favourite evogrip colour.
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

za Offline meanx

Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 04:52:34 PM
The Patagonian Expedition Knives are an absolute must have,the yellow looks stunning  :drool:
Rest is not idleness,
and to lie sometimes on the grass under trees on a summer's day,
listening to the murmur of the water, or watching the clouds float across the sky,
is by no means a waste of time

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 04:53:17 PM
Really like both of these, especially the Alinghi model.  I wish it had the phillips rather than the corkscrew, but I like the addition of the 1/4 inch bit driver opening.

Might have to plump for one of those...  :think:

+1  

The corkscrew seems a little out of place on it really. Then I suppose with the 1/4" driver option, you can have whatever bits you want along for the ride.

It's a great looker, that's for sure  :tu:
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 05:02:59 PM
vvvvvvvery nice :)
A

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 05:25:22 PM
Any gratuitous Mike Horn pics?
Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 05:56:47 PM
So drool worthy. :drool:
Got those frog legs.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 06:45:04 PM
Vveerrry nice. :drool:  I actually like the fact they've put the corkscrew on the Alinghi, it would be odd to me to have the 1/4" drive and a fixed Phillips.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 06:48:01 PM
Vveerrry nice. :drool:  I actually like the fact they've put the corkscrew on the Alinghi, it would be odd to me to have the 1/4" drive and a fixed Phillips.

+1

I don't do tool duplication
I'm back!!

gb Offline Craig

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 08:16:01 PM
The Patagonian Expedition Knives are an absolute must have,the yellow looks stunning  :drool:

+1 on that  :tu:
Prone to daydreaming.

br Offline M.TEX

Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 08:37:17 PM
is there other shots of the little knives ?  ( EVO )
M.TEX

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 08:52:48 PM
Black and yellow!

:pok: Get back there right now and steal them for me  :rant: ;)

:pok:

I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

gb Offline Screwtape

• I am the Toast King!!
Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 09:12:35 PM
All nice love the yellow and black chaps
"Hello! I am the Toast King and I rule over the Moon!"

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 10:07:27 PM
 :drool:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Viking

• J-sews Fan Club-- Member #0001
Reply #15 on: January 20, 2010, 10:18:28 PM

Took the exact words right out of my mouth.

They look great! :2tu:

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #16 on: January 20, 2010, 11:11:41 PM

I agree too  :tu:  With the old Alinghi they offered it with corkscrew or phillips , wonder if they will do that on this model  :think:

Dunc

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #17 on: January 21, 2010, 12:19:54 AM
I would Love the yellow one, but why do they have to have serrations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
S

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: January 21, 2010, 03:24:08 AM
Very nice!!

I do believe I need at least 1 YELLOW EVOGrip.... however I think it will be the EVOGrip 81, maybe or mayeb the middle model there as I don't think I need the larger one.

I ask tim about that new Alinghi last month, but he didn't have it yet.  I almost bought it a few times elsewhere, but that can-opener... It may be duplication but I really wanted them to keep the fine screwdriver on the knife rather than the Can opener, because duplicate or not I'd use the fine-screwdriver, but very rarely, if ever, that can-opener. not used, is worse than duplicate, because it would not be 100% duplicate, it would be convienent, and 1 less addtional bit to carry.

us Offline Viking

Reply #19 on: January 21, 2010, 07:51:26 PM

Me likey!

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #21 on: January 21, 2010, 10:54:00 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO It has Serrations!!!! Why cant they make them without.
S

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #22 on: January 21, 2010, 11:17:59 PM
Patagonian Expedition Sweeeeet! :drool:

group buy group buy! :ahhh

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #23 on: January 21, 2010, 11:46:05 PM
personally i would prefer the fixed phillips (and even the small screwdriver and better yet add a wenger combotool in place of the bottle opener)

i dont see it as stupid, i dont see it as duplication. Some times people are so caught up in the sizzle that they don't care about the sausage

Fixed implements are great for doing the task at hand, the bit driver is good for the user to add their own flexibility
 (like a 1/4" hex to 1/4 square for sockets, or that torx bit you need etc etc)

eg. Maybe you dont need two #2 phillips but  you can swap out the bit for a size #1 or #3

I am glad they brought this out though i have been meaning to get an alinghi for my father, this seals the deal. :tu:

As for the new knife i pray its a 85mm with folding pliers and a 1/4"backsprung driver to update the pocketgrip/minigrip.
If this happens i will spontaniously give birth to kittens.
“A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost.”
- Terry Pratchett

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: January 22, 2010, 12:06:34 AM
personally i would prefer the fixed phillips (and even the small screwdriver and better yet add a wenger combotool in place of the bottle opener)

i dont see it as stupid, i dont see it as duplication. Some times people are so caught up in the sizzle that they don't care about the sausage

Fixed implements are great for doing the task at hand, the bit driver is good for the user to add their own flexibility
 (like a 1/4" hex to 1/4 square for sockets, or that torx bit you need etc etc)

eg. Maybe you dont need two #2 phillips but  you can swap out the bit for a size #1 or #3

I am glad they brought this out though i have been meaning to get an alinghi for my father, this seals the deal. :tu:

As for the new knife i pray its a 85mm with folding pliers and a 1/4"backsprung driver to update the pocketgrip/minigrip.
If this happens i will spontaniously give birth to kittens.

+1
A

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #25 on: January 22, 2010, 12:34:19 AM
Wenger's plan last year is continuing this year- some new stuff, but more about rounding out the foundation of the existing line than coming out with some earth shattering new products.  They had so many new models so fast that it's really good to see them putting some substance behind all the flash.

The ones that caught my eye are the new Patagonian Expedition Knives, which is something I was waiting for since I first saw the EVOGrip 18 in yellow:

(Image removed from quote.)

The series consists of a New Ranger 178, EVOGrip 18 and an EVOGrip 81 (think Esquire with EVOGrip scales) all in yellow with the Patagonian Expedition logo laser etched into the rubber similar to the 2009 and 2007 SOSAK Knives of the Year.

As you can imagine I have been drooling over the idea of a yellow Ranger 178 (OHT type) for some time, and I was thrilled to see it actually happen!

It was almost impossible to leave the knife at the table when we left the booth!

There's also a new Alinghi model which gets the EVOGrip treatment, and gets a hexagonal slot cutout in the handle.  The gray inserts really set off the black scales, and makes this a really eye catching knife!

The sheath has also been redesigned to include space for flat head and phillips screwdriver bits.  They are standard 1/4" hex bits, so you can swap them out to whatever bits you need!

Other than the new look, new sheath and the screwdriver slot, this new knife is all Alinghi!

And, since Peter Hug, CEO of Wenger SA did it to me, I'm doing it to you..... he hinted at the possibility of a new knife coming out in the spring, but he had few details and wasn't letting out the few he did have!  He was confident that we would like it, and that SOSAK members would be the first to hear about it!  I plan to harass him constantly, and I'll post new info as soon as it becomes available.

Def
ATTENTION FELINEVET TIM!!!
If you're out there.  I the I can speak on behalf of Andyn Tiedye when it come to that Patagonia RAnger: WE CALL DIBS!!!!!
catsignal.jpg
* catsignal.jpg (Filesize: 42.37 KB)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 12:37:23 AM by BIG-TARGET »
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

us Offline Viking

Reply #26 on: January 22, 2010, 12:36:14 AM
So far so good from Wenger. :tu:

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #27 on: January 22, 2010, 01:01:37 AM
Very nice!!

I do believe I need at least 1 YELLOW EVOGrip.... however I think it will be the EVOGrip 81, maybe or mayeb the middle model there as I don't think I need the larger one.

I ask tim about that new Alinghi last month, but he didn't have it yet.  I almost bought it a few times elsewhere, but that can-opener... It may be duplication but I really wanted them to keep the fine screwdriver on the knife rather than the Can opener, because duplicate or not I'd use the fine-screwdriver, but very rarely, if ever, that can-opener. not used, is worse than duplicate, because it would not be 100% duplicate, it would be convienent, and 1 less addtional bit to carry.
One YELLOW EVOGRIP will never be enough!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 01:06:51 AM by BIG-TARGET »
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

us Offline getahl

Reply #28 on: January 22, 2010, 05:08:20 AM
The yellow EvoGrips look very nice, but I was hoping for something with a little more oomph. Like a mass-produced toilet paper SAK :D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: January 22, 2010, 08:18:16 AM
Any gratuitous Mike Horn pics?

I took just this one pic while it was still "behind the glass", then forgot to take more after they brought it out for show and tell. :-[ My apologies, but this baby can be extremely distracting in the flesh! :drool:

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%