Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Suspension

J-sews · 56 · 13235

Offline damota

Re: Gerber Suspension
Reply #30 on: July 05, 2007, 02:01:26 AM
At the prices the UK dealers are asking I am not surprised!  I visited a UK dealer (won't say who) last week and was astounded!  They are offering MSRP in pounds as a discount price.  A multi that is listed here for $100 usually sells on websites for $70, but over there they are listed at 100 pounds!  And given the difference between the value of the pound and the US dollar right now I am amazed!

It might be cheaper for you to get a standby flight to New York or Toronto, pick a few up, and fly home!

Def

We get hammered with VAT and import duty if we buy anything over a certain price (I forget how much I think it is £18). For years the real exchange rate we pay is about £1 to the $1 by the time it is for sale in the shops.
The internet stores are a bit cheaper because they are often run as a shed in the back garden type of thing.

Dave

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #31 on: July 05, 2007, 06:36:08 AM
Two different internet dealers I have talked to over the phone have said they sell more of the Suspension than any other multi tool so Gerber have got an appealing design in that tool that is selling (at least in those 2 stores in the UK). Mind 1 of them does not carry any Leatherman stuff and haven't for over a year or so....Dave

At the Lowes store where I got my Suspension, it was priced right in the middle of the multitool offerings.

There was some generic brand multi (packaging had outdoor scenes and its brand name was outdoorsy) that was priced at less than 10 bucks.

There was a package deal with Kobalt brand multi plus Kobalt lockback knife for 17 bucks, IIRC.

(Both of these cheaper multis were non-locking, inside opening LM PST clones.  Someone wrote a review on this site that said the Kobalt brand multi is actually a decent, well-made tool.)

There was the Gerber Clutch for 18 bucks.

There was the Gerber Suspension for 30 bucks.

There were a few models of SOG multis, the cheapest of which was 60 bucks, the others 70 and 85 bucks, IIRC.

Guessing that Lowes probably sells more of the Kobalt multi than anything else, with the Suspension maybe the number two or number three seller.  The SOGs probably sell much more slowly.

N

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #32 on: July 05, 2007, 01:28:35 PM
I can understand the shops being a bit on the pricey side, and I can understand the benefit of paying a bit higher price to get something locally vs sight unseen from a website, but really, it seems insanely high.  The 1:1 exchange is ludicrous really, especially when looking at online dealers.  Geographic location is secondary on the 'net and I really don't see how those dealers can compete with places like EDCDepot, Felinevet, Knifecenter and so on.  At least the brick & mortar stores have the benefit of being able to see the tool first and instant gratification.

I think if I was there I'd strongly consider buying everything from the US... which is kind of what I do now anyway!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #33 on: July 05, 2007, 05:16:31 PM
The only remaining unknown in my mind is in regards to durability....Are those cast aluminum handles with all the cutouts strong enough to withstand heavy usage?

Perhaps you have a different version of the Suspension than mine?

A magnet will stick to my Suspension's handles no matter where I apply it, so they appear to be entirely made of some ferrous metal.

I'm guessing the handles are some type of steel, under a Titanium Nitride coat.

:oops: Oops, you are correct sir! I never checked mine with a magnet. The Suspension design so closely resembles the earlier 700 and 800 Legend models that I just assumed it had aluminum handles as well. My mistake.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #34 on: July 05, 2007, 05:19:25 PM
And just to clarify my position about the Suspension, I think it is a fine tool for the money, nothing wrong with it really. But like damota, I happen to like the thinner, more condensed packaging on the Gerber 600 series better.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #35 on: July 06, 2007, 12:47:06 AM
I couldn't stand the suspense about not knowing who I agreed with... so, I've got a Suspension on the way :)

If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #36 on: July 06, 2007, 12:51:36 AM
*trying real hard not to be inspired by Mikey*

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #37 on: July 06, 2007, 12:56:32 AM
*trying real hard not to be inspired by Mikey*

Def

You're setting a bad example for the rest of us... The urge to buy a new tool should never be resisted!
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #38 on: July 06, 2007, 01:03:23 AM
It's not me resisting it- it's my insignificant income...

Otherwise I'd have one already and be lording it over you! :P

Def

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #39 on: July 13, 2007, 08:04:49 PM
I just recieved my Suspension today (2 weeks after I ordered it... ugh!)

Considering I just pulled it out of the mailbox 10 minutes ago, here's a couple of initial observations.

I really like the spring loaded pliers.  I like how they pop open smooth, and it doesn't feel cheap.

The handles are HUGE!  I guess I have small hands because I have a hard time gripping the handles. 

That's it so far.  I'll try to take some pics of it this weekend.  I'm going to carry it today and see how well it performs at work.  :)

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #40 on: July 15, 2007, 11:44:42 AM
I just recieved my Suspension today (2 weeks after I ordered it...I'll try to take some pics of it this weekend.  I'm going to carry it today and see how well it performs at work.  :)

Great idea 665ae.  I look forward to reading your impressions of the Suspension after you carry it for a few days.  Also hope to see your pics posted here.

I'll admit that the Suspension is kind of a weird-looking piece of aparatus.  But the more I use my Suspension, the more I like it.  Lots of functions and good plier ergonomics at a very reasonable price.

N

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #41 on: July 16, 2007, 04:45:19 AM
I went looking for one at Canadian Tire yesterday, but thankfully they are all out!  Otherwise I may have been tempted to pay full retail for one...

Def

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #42 on: July 16, 2007, 06:31:39 AM
I went looking for one at Canadian Tire yesterday, but thankfully they are all out!  Otherwise I may have been tempted to pay full retail for one...

Def, you know that deep down you really want to check out a Suspension...  It's such an unusual looking tool...  It has that cool titanium nitride finish...  And its price is actually fairly reasonable...

Sooner or later, you'll happen across a Suspension at Canadian Tire or somewhere similar.  Your curiosity will get the better of you and you'll make an impulse buy.

Resistance is futile.  LOL!

N

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #43 on: July 16, 2007, 02:10:00 PM
I agree completely.  The only thing holding me back is that my inner Scot would like to find one less than the $60 it's listed at in Canadian Tire!  If I could find one at around the $20 mark like everyone else here, I'd be laughing!

Def

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #44 on: July 17, 2007, 02:34:17 AM
I would still take the Lowes multi Over the Gerber. I jsut dont know what it is. I just really hate the suspension.
S

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #45 on: July 17, 2007, 02:41:01 AM
Come on man, don't hold back or sugar coat it!  Let us know how you really feel!  >:D

Def

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #46 on: July 17, 2007, 02:46:31 AM
Def I really dont get it. Maybee it is that you have to have the hands of sasquach to use it when it is fully open, or maybe it is the useless blades, or maybe the saw which cant even cut my mornign bagle. I jsut hate the thing. The only saving grace is maybe some others newbies will get it and they will then see the lite of what a tool really should be, and buy a real tool.

Funny thing is that I do put it in rotation. Not often but it still gets used, and someday I am sure I will find it a permenant home in a tackle box, or glove box.
S

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #47 on: July 17, 2007, 02:50:54 AM
That good huh?

Let me know if you are interested in trading that thing.  I'd like to give it a shot, but without laying out cash for it!

Def

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #48 on: July 17, 2007, 05:42:11 AM
I agree completely.  The only thing holding me back is that my inner Scot would like to find one less than the $60 it's listed at in Canadian Tire!  If I could find one at around the $20 mark like everyone else here, I'd be laughing!

Def

Well, right now I'm feeling too lazy to look up the exchange rate for Canada $ to US $.

I paid about 30 US bucks plus sales tax for my Suspension, for a total of about 32 bucks.

I've seen Suspensions online for 25 bucks at several reputable sites.  Shipping charges but no sales tax, so total would be close to what I paid - maybe a buck cheaper.

A Suspension for 20 bucks does sound like a good deal...

$60 is way out of line.  Even 60 Canadian dollars seems like too much to pay for a Suspension, unless you absolutely have to have one right away.

N

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: July 17, 2007, 07:58:38 AM
I would still take the Lowes multi Over the Gerber. I jsut dont know what it is. I just really hate the suspension.
If this the Lowes multitool that your talking about, I think it's just as good as the Suspension. One minus is the blades and tools don't lock on the Kobalt tool.

* Picture 1611 (Small).jpg (Filesize: 26.71 KB)
"

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #50 on: July 17, 2007, 09:37:04 AM
If this the Lowes multitool that your talking about, I think it's just as good as the Suspension. One minus is the blades and tools don't lock on the Kobalt tool.

Nice pic of that Kobalt multi, prime77.

I almost bought one of those that was packaged with a Kobalt lockback utility knife for 18 bucks, IIRC.

How are the plier ergonomics on that Kobalt?

I didn't buy it because I figured plier ergonomics would be similar to my old Leatherman Tool.

Plier ergonomics are what I like most about my Suspension, followed by the fact that it's an outside opener with one-hand-opening of its two blades.  Also, the locking system is great - very simple and easy to use.

N

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: July 17, 2007, 09:53:51 AM

How are the plier ergonomics on that Kobalt?

I only used the pliers once and that was a test to see how well the spring back of the pliers worked. I found them easy to use. The handles are well rounded and don't bit into your hands. I like the rubber inserts on the handles. Your right about the locking system on the Suspension.  I like the way it works as well.
"

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #52 on: July 17, 2007, 10:50:15 AM
I only used the pliers once and that was a test to see how well the spring back of the pliers worked. I found them easy to use. The handles are well rounded and don't bit into your hands. I like the rubber inserts on the handles. Your right about the locking system on the Suspension.  I like the way it works as well.

Thanks for info on Kobalt pliers ergonomics, prime77.

I'll probably pick up a Kobalt multi on the next trip to Lowes - it does look decent for its price.

Maybe the Kobalt would be a suitable replacement for my 'old faithful' Leatherman Tool for hiking and camping use.

If that doesn't pan out, the Kobalt looks good to keep in glovebox or center console.  If it gets stolen out of the car, it'd be no great financial hardship to replace it.

N

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #53 on: July 17, 2007, 01:20:50 PM
Well, right now I'm feeling too lazy to look up the exchange rate for Canada $ to US $.

We are almost at par.  Last I heard our dollar was worth about $.96US and the gap is closing fast.  It's a real pain in the butt because I am still paying old Canadian retail prices on things (like the Suspension) despite our dollar being worth significantly more.  And, the income from these sites (meager though it is) has dropped despite the prices being the same.  It used to be, when I made $50, it was $80 to me.  Now when I make $50, after Paypal fees I make $49.  It's very frustrating...

I think I need to find one of those Kobalt tools as well.  They look pretty cool for a cheap tool.

Def

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #54 on: July 17, 2007, 10:06:01 PM
We are almost at par.  Last I heard our dollar was worth about $.96US and the gap is closing fast.  It's a real pain in the butt because I am still paying old Canadian retail prices on things (like the Suspension) despite our dollar being worth significantly more.

There are at least a few internet sellers who ship to Canada with no problem.  With a more favorable exchange rate, seems like that'd be a better way for you to go.

Although, you probably get stuck with customs fees and import duties, which would eat up any money you saved buying off the internet.

N

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #55 on: July 18, 2007, 01:32:53 PM
Sometimes it does.  I almost always buy from the US anyway, so it's nice that the prices are even better than ever, but even without the Customs charges (which I only pay on occasion), it is getting expensive thanks to USPS, who has recently doubled their prices, and tripled the wait time.  It used to be that packages to and from the US took about a week.  Now I am lucky if I see the package in 2 1/2- 3 weeks.

It's pretty frustrating when I need something for an article or review- I would almost be better off to set up a PO box in Bangor and make the 6 hour drive and ferry ride twice a month.

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%