Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Byrd Wings Slipit

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Byrd Wings Slipit
on: January 29, 2010, 06:33:45 PM
So I received the Byrd Wings Slipit folding knife today (fast service from handyniknaks, total price including delivery of £34).

First impressions, blades are sharp, serrations are well done, it’s a nice size, nice weight (not too heavy, but not to light), seems well made, comfortable in the hand (handles have a slab of G10 on metal, which is visible either side), both blades can be opened one handed, and of course, no locking, since the reason for purchasing this was for a UK legal EDC knife.

In regards to closing the blades, they are quite stiff (and there is a difference between the blades, the plain edge is maybe twice, or three fold as stiff as the serrated), and unlike with the locking blades I have had experience of so far, where you can press the liner lock in with one finger, and then close the blade one handed as well, you cannot close the blade one handed here. Now that may be because I am not using enough force, but then I wouldn’t want to, since if it takes too much force, chances are your fingers will end up in front of the blade you are going to close, and you will cut yourself. So I think this stiffness, and resistance to closure (meaning you have to use your other hand), is to make up for the lack of a locking mechanism, and decrease the chances of the blade shutting on your fingers. So this is a positive thing.

The knife comes with a pocket clip attached, which can be easily removed, as you can see I have done, and reattached in any 1 of 4 configurations. Didn’t come with any sort of a case, and no place for attachment of a lanyard or keyring.

Some basic stats of the knife taken from the official website (http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=398):

•   blade length 2 3/4" (70 mm)
•   blade steel 8CR13MOV
•   length closed 3 3/4" (95 mm)
•   cutting edge 2 1/4" (57 mm )
•   weight 3.4 oz (97 g)
•   hole diameter 7/16" (11 mm)
•   blade thickness 5/64" (2 mm)
•   handle material G-10 w/ Stainless Bolsters

So that is all for now, I haven’t had a chance to test the knife, when and if I do, I will post more stuff.

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Re: Byrd Wings Slipit
Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 06:47:44 PM
Great review. I really thought it was ugly the first time I saw one, but it is starting to grow on me.
S

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 06:56:32 PM
Of these weren't totally right handed I'd have probably picked one up already. :-\  Nice pics though and I'll be interested to hear how you get on with it. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 08:25:49 PM
Ill point it out before any other smart alec does, yes those photos were taken 11 months in the future  ::)

Time to go change the date on my camera.

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
  • Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 08:27:30 PM
That knife has always intrigued me. From the descriptions it looked liked it was a fairly large knife which would not pocket carry (with no clip) very well. But with it in your hand it looks like it might not be too bad.

Thanks for the write up and pictures.  :tu:
Mike
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 08:30:02 PM by Mike »
Common sense ..... so rare, it's virtually a super power.

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 08:35:58 PM
There is its bigger brother (http://www.nightgear.co.uk/p/9732//Spyderco-Knives-Spyderco-Byrd-Wings-G-10-Knife.htm) which has locking blades which are larger for those who dont live by stupid british laws.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 09:41:44 PM
Thank's for the review mate :tu:

I'm often tempted to buy one, but I'm just not sure how comfortable they'd be after quite prolonged use :-\
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 12:22:00 AM
There is its bigger brother (http://www.nightgear.co.uk/p/9732//Spyderco-Knives-Spyderco-Byrd-Wings-G-10-Knife.htm) which has locking blades which are larger for those who dont live by stupid british laws.

That's the one I've got I think. I didn't realise it was G-10 though (if it is in fact).

It's a novelty, but I'm not a huge fan of the knife myself.
I used to come here a lot.

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 01:39:48 PM
Hmm, Im gonna return this item. However nice it is, its not special enough to warrant me spending £34 on it. The problem is of course that in the UK we are so limited to what we can legally carry, but I cannot use the justification that this is the 'best' out of the competition (IMO).

I'm going to Pakistan in a couple of weeks, I am going to search over there for knives that would be UK legal, maybe try and find a high quality damascus item. If I manage to do that, I may even buy a few to sell here. It will be an interesting search, all the times I have gone to Pakistan, I have not been knife hunting.

Offline Magnus

Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 11:04:28 PM
I'm going to Pakistan in a couple of weeks, I am going to search over there for knives that would be UK legal, maybe try and find a high quality damascus item. If I manage to do that, I may even buy a few to sell here. It will be an interesting search, all the times I have gone to Pakistan, I have not been knife hunting.

I have always wanted to go to a country like Pakistan where the is still a lot of skilled individual craftsmen, not knowing a word of any foreign language is kind of limiting though...
[

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
  • Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 11:53:44 PM
Some people think English is a foreign language. :P

Mike
Common sense ..... so rare, it's virtually a super power.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 05:47:52 PM
I'm going to Pakistan in a couple of weeks,

Please take lots of pics for us , its somewhere I know very little about .

Dunc

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 08:27:03 PM
I have one of the old micarta handled Spyderco Mini Dyads, and I love that knife.  The Byrds Wings never really appealed to me though- they always struck me as cheap Spydie knockoffs, although I know for a fact they are not.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Magnus

Reply #13 on: February 05, 2010, 11:15:23 PM

Mike

Like most Americans  :P
[

Offline gadgetman7

Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 04:41:41 AM
English is a foreign language. We speak A-mare-ee-kan.

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: February 25, 2010, 04:58:53 AM

Mike
Homer Simpson does :D

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #16 on: March 19, 2010, 07:54:12 PM
This may be a stupid question - (so sorry in advance), but in the way that the Oxford English Dictionary is considered the definitive form of the English language, and the Robert is the French equivalent - is there an American equivalent?

Or do people just arbitrarily slaughter our beautiful language in the US?  :angel:
I used to come here a lot.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: March 19, 2010, 11:36:30 PM
I believe that would be the Merriam-Webster Dictionary.  I remember having a look round one of those terrible discount book shops and seeing a huge pile of Webster's on sale for a pound or two each.  I did feel that I had to point out to the "manager" (who looked to be 15 ::)) that an American Dictionary probably wasn't much use in the UK.  :rant:

:D
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 11:39:49 PM by Gareth »
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Offline Magnus

Reply #18 on: March 20, 2010, 09:09:50 AM
I believe that would be the Merriam-Webster Dictionary.  I remember having a look round one of those terrible discount book shops and seeing a huge pile of Webster's on sale for a pound or two each.  I did feel that I had to point out to the "manager" (who looked to be 15 ::)) that an American Dictionary probably wasn't much use in the UK.  :rant:

:D

maybe it was an English - Americanese translation dictionary?  :think:
[

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79