Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SHOT 2010 - More on the Grappler

J-sews · 19 · 6084

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
SHOT 2010 - More on the Grappler
on: January 25, 2010, 11:04:26 PM
Going into the Shot Show this year, the tool that I was most excited with by far surely had to be the new Gerber Grappler. After all, locking plier multitools don't come along very often, and seldom stick around very long. The Kershaw A100 and the Schrade ST6 have long since fallen by the wayside, leaving only the original Leatherman Crunch to represent the category.

Kershaw A100

Schrade ST6

Leatherman Crunch

Gerber Grappler

The Grappler takes a different approach to the concept by utilizing Gerber's trademark sliding jaw concept. In this case they do it one better though, by using only ONE push button lock instead of the usual two, making it even easier to deploy the pliers with only one hand. Lock up did not seem to suffer any by this change, but more testing will be in order of course.

The retractable sliding jaws makes the Grappler more compact to carry, and although it is still slightly longer when folded than the Crunch, it is much shorter to carry than the fixed jaw Kershaw and Schrade.

Another significant difference among these four locking multitools is the means of jaw adjustment. While the Crunch, Schrade, and  Kershaw have a knurled knob near the pommel, the Grappler has a knob that is housed internally.

Hopefully this will not prove to be a weakness in the design. The adjustment knob is not as easy to access as its end-mounted competitors obviously, and one cannot help but wonder if it will be a source of frustration with cold or oily fingers. :-\

The upside is that an internally mounted knob is better protected than an external one. And for those of you who might be wondering, the knob cannot really be made an larger in diameter and still slide down the handle channel.

We've made plenty of hay here at Multitool.org bashing Gerber multitools for their silly short screwdrivers, and the design department has listened. Notice that none of the blades on the Grappler are housed in the inboard channel, which is totally occupied by the plier head when retracted.

Instead, all four blades are outside openers, liner locking, and of a reasonable length. :salute:

There is a half-serrated knife blade to start with, with a thumbstud for one-hand opening. Was I the only one to feel that the thumb stud placement on a few previous Gerbers was incorrect? Maybe too close to the knife blade pivot, making it difficult to flick open? I'm happy to report that the one on the Grappler is just right. :)

Next up is a combination file/flathead screwdriver. I'm not a big fan of combining a file blade (which must be hard and therefore brittle in order to cut metal) with a screwdriver (which must be tough yet somewhat flexible so it doesn't shatter when being torqued) but when we spoke to the Gerber engineers about this concern, they assured us that the metallurgy and thickness on this one was suitable to both.

I assume a prybar was added to the Grappler because of the unsuitability of prying with the hard file/flathead combo blade. Gerber did it right on this one by including a nail head notch, something that the prybar on their Freehand multitool could probably benefit from as well. (Also the ruler on the Grappler was stamped on the correct edge, something they got backwards on the Freehand)

Last up is this combination can opener/wire stripper, phillips screwdriver blade. I love the length - Gerbers longest phillips ever - but I'm not real keen on the "flat" style. Although admittedly, there isn't really an option on the Grappler to go with the excellent square phillips like they used on the Octane and Strata.

Other observations include a real attention to small details by the designers. For instance, the signature "rattle" that we've come to expect from Gerber sliders has been addressed with the addition of a small latch mechanism. It is a similar set-up to what the Flik has, and it locks the tool up nicely when closed and eliminates the annoying rattle.

All-in-all, the Grappler seems to be a well made first foray by Gerber into the locking plier multitool arena. It has several distinct advantages over its only remaining competitor the Crunch, including faster plier deployment, faster blade deployment, and longer blades and drivers. The only unanswered questions I have about it are in regards to durability and ease of use out in the field, and we won't be able to answer those questions until the Grappler becomes available later this year.

By the way, don't miss Grant's pictures and first impressions of the Grappler in this thread here: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,16682.0.html 

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Re: SHOT 2010 - More on the Grappler
Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 11:17:21 PM
I'm looking forward to this one more and more.

Thanks for the info Bob!  :tu:
I'm back!!

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 11:17:58 PM
Seems to me the knob could use a sharp diamond knurling instead of the straight line knurling.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 11:48:34 PM
I really think they might have this one right you know Bob.

The Crunch is the only current locking plier multi out there, for one simple reason IMO, and that is the fact that it folds down small enough to make it viable, whereas the the Kershaw A100 was so huge that you may as well have carried a small pair of mole grips with you!

The Crunch however suffers from one major irritation and that is how fiddly it is to assemble. First you need to slacken the adjuster screw, then open it, click it together and how often have you found that when you think you're ready to go, the damn thing detaches on you?

The Grappler, despite the small adjustment knob appears to do away with this irritation, at the expense of being slightly less compact - I think I could persevere with it given the obvious advantages the tool brings overall.

Also, the blade etc on the Crunch isn't great, given that the cutting edge has the other handle, and the adjustment knob between it and whatever you're trying to cut! You can seperate the handles to use the blade more effectively as with the old "PST" butterfly openers, but it's uncomfortable and awkward. The Grappler's external OH blade looks vastly superior.

And yes! I find the thumb studs on the Suspension, Flik etc extremely difficult to use effectively. They are far too close to the blade's tang to give enough leverage to open comfortably, so it's great to see Gerber have sorted that out too.

I can see from the pictures that the Phillips looks like the same old, same old - but from what you've shown us there - it looks like a fair trade off to me.

I remain excited about this one, and can't wait to get my hands on one.

Thanks for sharing it with us Bob!

I used to come here a lot.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 11:52:13 PM
Any indication on pricing Bob?
I'm back!!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 11:58:46 PM
I does look an exciting and excellent tool Bob, thanks for the walk through. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 12:00:29 AM

I nearly asked that, but then realised I don't really care. I'm having one anyway :D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 12:06:21 AM

Nothing believable. ::) The Gerber website shows $104, which is definitely too much IMO, but it also shows $107 for a black oxide Diesel and $92 for a standard MP600. Given that both those two can be had for HALF that amount, my guess is the Grappler will be available somewhere in the $50 to $60 range.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 12:08:46 AM
Sorry, didn't think to look on the website (we have to play around as we only get Gerber-UK).  That sounds pretty good.  Will be in the £60-£80 catergory here then I expect.
I'm back!!

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 12:12:02 AM
Sorry, didn't think to look on the website (we have to play around as we only get Gerber-UK).  That sounds pretty good.  Will be in the £60-£80 catergory here then I expect.

Yeah - Like I'd buy it in the UK  :rofl:

us Offline WH867

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 04:21:44 AM
Any plans for a blunt nose version?       
Dennis

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #11 on: January 26, 2010, 04:43:50 AM
I really think they might have this one right you know Bob.

The Crunch is the only current locking plier multi out there, for one simple reason IMO, and that is the fact that it folds down small enough to make it viable, whereas the the Kershaw A100 was so huge that you may as well have carried a small pair of mole grips with you!

The Crunch however suffers from one major irritation and that is how fiddly it is to assemble. First you need to slacken the adjuster screw, then open it, click it together and how often have you found that when you think you're ready to go, the damn thing detaches on you?

The Grappler, despite the small adjustment knob appears to do away with this irritation, at the expense of being slightly less compact - I think I could persevere with it given the obvious advantages the tool brings overall.

Also, the blade etc on the Crunch isn't great, given that the cutting edge has the other handle, and the adjustment knob between it and whatever you're trying to cut! You can seperate the handles to use the blade more effectively as with the old "PST" butterfly openers, but it's uncomfortable and awkward. The Grappler's external OH blade looks vastly superior.

I can see from the pictures that the Phillips looks like the same old, same old - but from what you've shown us there - it looks like a fair trade off to me.

I remain excited about this one, and can't wait to get my hands on one.

Thanks for sharing it with us Bob!

i cant not possible agree more with you :cheers:
A

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #12 on: January 26, 2010, 06:22:39 AM
Thanks for the information! As everyone else on this forum I am excited!
Got those frog legs.

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: January 26, 2010, 09:03:51 PM
I am going to buy as soon as they cone out i found a place that is taking pre orders 46.00 so your about right on the price.
Mike
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #14 on: January 26, 2010, 09:11:30 PM
This is the first Gerber to intrigue me since the Evo 650.  Really like the overall design. 

Offline westllen

Reply #15 on: January 28, 2010, 10:21:25 PM
Thanks for all the pic's and the helpful information :tu: I'll have to pick up one or two of them, very interesting design. I always had a sweettooth for the lock gripping multitools.

Jules
"

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #16 on: January 29, 2010, 01:37:37 AM
It's an ugly beast!

However, it looks like a rather useful ugly beast  :tu:
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #17 on: January 29, 2010, 10:53:20 AM
3 days to go to february!  :gimme:
“A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost.”
- Terry Pratchett

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #18 on: January 30, 2010, 10:32:22 AM
Looks great  :cheers: Bob.

I am most keen too nab one , need to save for OS holiday  :ahhh :ahhh.

Maybe I could sneak a purchase in prior too the MT acquisition embargo kicks in   :think: :D :D 

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21