Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Congratulations, You've been chosen to design the next Leatherman

Farmer · 20 · 2474

us Offline Farmer

With the keychains tools being released in the Spring and the Mut next fall if you had the chance what would you design to come out after that?
I know what I would! Pulse 200 baby! I've always been a big fan of old school becoming new school. Retro is in right now. Look at the Mustangs, Camaros and what not. Heck New Holland done it with the retro Boomer 8N. That girls just and New Holland compact with red paint, a old school hood and a big shiney rollbar and its 38k dollars with a loader! Im requesting a modern Pulse.
In my opinion to make this design go over its gonna have to be a little brother to the Super Tool 300 the way the original Pulse complimented the ST 200. I also feel like it would be a piece of cake because all the tools would already be used in other tools.

-New sheet metal. NO PLASTIC!! Rounded handles and have it taper down at the head like the originals and ST 300. It would need to taper off on one side more than the other. It would need to allow for to long tools(one on each side) like the original. Im guessing it would be slightly wider than the original though because the tools would be beefier. Just a guess.
-The Blast/Wave/Charge pliers should be suitable for this tool. Adding removable cutters would be a plus though.
-The Kick/Fuse/Blast knife would be fine also although if I were designing it I would make it a combo blade. I feel like that way you're getting both blades that ST 300 supplied.(After all it would be a 300 complimenting tool) I would also want the large cut out so I could get to the knife with gloves.
-The file could be standard issue except putting the diamond file toward the outside of the tool.
-All the screwdrivers could come right out of the Blast. About the only new tool I feel like would have to be designed is a small screwdriver. Since this is a no gimmicks heave duty, light duty tool I cant see the eyeglass driver making its way to this. Just put in a small straight and I'll be happy.
-*Sigh* The small scissors found in the Wave, Charge and whatever would be OKAY. They're not the end of the world I guess. Im the not biggest fan but it would help keep prices down. Only way I say to change the scissors to a new design is if its gonna be for the whole lines of leathermans with scissors or atleast be from this tool forward.

This is my idea if I ever got the chance to design a new tool. I feel like in a real life situation we wouldnt be able to go all out and crazy but this would be my tool that would replace, I guess, the Fuse as the ST 300 replaced the Core. Afterwards a larger model could come out to replace the Blast that would add a Saw and maybe a big boy Awl or something. I dont know, just kicking the idea. What would you guys design in a real life scenario if given the chance. Real life that is or what would you change about my idea. No hard feelings guys.

Peace, Farmer

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Congratulations, You've been chosen to design the next Leatherman
Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 12:02:32 AM
LOL, before I even opened this thread I though "what I'd love to see is a new Pulse".  Great minds think alike eh? :D

I also almost totally agree with your design.  I'd have to make sure it stays thinner than the Blast, more like the thickness of the Fuse IMO, but removing the zytel and going to rolled edges should see this OK.

NO combo edged blade for me, I'm just not a fan.  PE all the way IMO.

For me the tools wouldn't have to be beefier, I'd rather keep the thickness down, but if possible it would certainly be a bonus.  I would like to see some bronze washers to take care of the clumping.  I really don't like clumping. :-\

Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Deere Man

Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 12:57:35 AM
Good topic.

I think the Kick, Fuse, Blast need an update complete with old school handles and an updated plier head complete with removable cutters.  The stranded wire cutters found on the ST 300 would be a nice addition too.  I'm all for an updated Pulse.  It's a classic and very handy assortment of tools that needs to be brought back (plain edge blade please).

However, I'm really hoping for an updated Blast modeled after the ST 300, just lighter duty.  Ditch the plastic and slap on some old school metal handles with the larger cut  outs.  Replace the silly mini bit driver with a man size awl, yeah that only leaves two standard and one phillips driver, but do we really need more than that?  It wouldn't hurt my feelings if they took out the scissors and put in a serrerated blade either, but I'm sure I'm in the minority there.  If I need scissors, it gives me a good excuse to drop a Micra in my pocket.  I'd buy this tool in a heart beat.  I think a Pulse 200 and a Blast 200 would really be a nice addition to the line.  Add a Sideclip 200 and the light duty line is complete. 

While we're on the topic, how about hanging the ST 300 plier head on a pair of Surge handles.  Take off the blade exchanger and scissors and replace them with a full size saw and a diamond/coarse file.  Take out the mini bit driver (after all it's a MAN tool, not a tool for the lady that adjusts your glasses at the eye doctor's office) and put some decent scissors in their place.  Bada bing bada boom..... Surge 200 (aka SuperSurge).       

Well, now that I've got that off my chest, I'd better get back to work.  I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's ideas.  Hopefully Tim's watching.  ;)

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 01:06:19 AM
Farmer..

Does that new 8N have sheet metal or plastic body work?  Inquiring minds.... :drool:

us Offline SlackOne

• See Saw Seen
Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 03:09:59 AM
Super Tool 300, but with a big blunt-nose slipjoint plier head.  For me, *that* would make it a serious work tool.
Half-ass done wholeheartedly!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 03:18:33 AM
Let's not forget that the diamond file is a definite keeper with the new Pulse as well :D Don't know why they don't put the diamond file on more of there MTs :think: Well I guess it's a price thing :-\ but all you have to do is put the newer plier head and put in push locks on a Pulse and they would sell a bunch :D

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 03:44:15 AM
I was carrying my Juice S2 today, and thought that an addition of a diamond file would make me real happy. I rarely carry it, but like the feel and weight.  I don't think that adding a file would make it much heavier.  The room is there.  Just add a tool. 

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 03:45:28 AM
 :-\ Hmmmm.

I'd go for a 4" frame, with decent pliers and two OHO external blades, one of which would be a premium steel. I might put a saw and file (diamond coated of course) externally as well. Simple liner locks would suffice for all four tools.

The tool would open butterfly-style to reveal pliers, and within the handles there would be some kind of bit driver that used space-saving (maybe flat?) bits, decent scissors, and maybe a light pry-tool. I WOULDN'T BOTHER WITH A DEDICATED BIT DRIVER FOR AN EYEGLASS BIT THOUGH, as it would make more sense to have such a bit to fit the bit driver I've already mentioned. Of course, there would need to be a bottle opener too.

To finish the tool, maybe some titanium scales would make it distinctive and scratch resistant for EDC - maybe that's fanciful, I don't know :)

I'm six years too late, aren't I?
I used to come here a lot.

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 04:52:34 AM
:-\ Hmmmm.

I'd go for a 4" frame, with decent pliers and two OHO external blades, one of which would be a premium steel. I might put a saw and file (diamond coated of course) externally as well. Simple liner locks would suffice for all four tools.

The tool would open butterfly-style to reveal pliers, and within the handles there would be some kind of bit driver that used space-saving (maybe flat?) bits, decent scissors, and maybe a light pry-tool. I WOULDN'T BOTHER WITH A DEDICATED BIT DRIVER FOR AN EYEGLASS BIT THOUGH, as it would make more sense to have such a bit to fit the bit driver I've already mentioned. Of course, there would need to be a bottle opener too.

To finish the tool, maybe some titanium scales would make it distinctive and scratch resistant for EDC - maybe that's fanciful, I don't know :)

I'm six years too late, aren't I?

I was reading your post without realizing it was a joke, and I thought, "that sounds like a Wave." You got me.  :D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 09:42:30 AM
  Perhaps somewhat selfishly I'd also like LM to do more non-locking full sized multis.  One idea I've banded around before is to have one handle that has a lock on it for the screwdrivers and one handle that has no lock for things like the blade. 
  Other tools don't really need to lock either; can opener, file, saw, mini-screwdriver (perhaps), scissors etc.  To my way of thinking the only tools that are improved by locks are screwdrivers and awls, tools where the whole point is to bear straight down on them with force.

ni-ulster Offline cerbera147

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 12:39:42 PM

I was reading your post without realizing it was a joke, and I thought, "that sounds like a Wave." You got me.  :D
Or a Charge TTi  :think: :D

us Offline Farmer

Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 03:30:14 PM
Whippy im not to sure about the hood. I've seen a few up close before but I cant really remember since its to small for me to ever do anything with. I think all New Holland Boomers(compacts) have plastic hoods but I could be very, very wrong. http://www.8n.com/

I got thinking about it last night and you guys are right, no combo blade. I also got thinking that to live up to its name it needs the grove in the diamond file for fish hooks. Sweet!

Peace, Farmer

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 03:35:12 PM
surge 300, thats what i want :)
A

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Reply #13 on: February 01, 2010, 04:04:14 PM
  Perhaps somewhat selfishly I'd also like LM to do more non-locking full sized multis.  One idea I've banded around before is to have one handle that has a lock on it for the screwdrivers and one handle that has no lock for things like the blade. 
  Other tools don't really need to lock either; can opener, file, saw, mini-screwdriver (perhaps), scissors etc.  To my way of thinking the only tools that are improved by locks are screwdrivers and awls, tools where the whole point is to bear straight down on them with force.

Would a locking awl be legal?

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: February 01, 2010, 05:58:07 PM

Would a locking awl be legal?

Humm..it's a good question.  I would like to say yes without doubt (especially considering just how blunt LM awls are  ;)), but I suspect it would take a Judge to say for certain. :-\

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: February 01, 2010, 06:29:05 PM
I'm all for a new Pulse also with original awl instead of extra small screwdriver,and newer locks,all the rest is great.
 :cheers:& :salute:

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #16 on: February 01, 2010, 09:49:14 PM
If the awl was to have a sharpened edge then it would still classify as a blade.

A blunt pokey stick would be handy though  :pok:
I'm back!!

Offline Magnus

Reply #17 on: February 01, 2010, 10:30:40 PM
I would be satisfied with a left handed wave or skeletool

If the awl was to have a sharpened edge then it would still classify as a blade.

Yes, but if you poked someone with it then it is still an offensive weapon!  :rofl:
[

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: February 01, 2010, 10:38:19 PM
I would be satisfied with a left handed wave or skeletool

Yes, but if you poked someone with it then it is still an offensive weapon!  :rofl:

I like that idea. :tu:

england Offline AddictedToTools

Reply #19 on: February 01, 2010, 11:15:51 PM
I like the idea of an improved, more heavy duty Juice like tool. Same size, with non-locking blades, just with a new stronger design, and new stronger components.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%