Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Vista & Hybrid

DaveK · 27 · 6042

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Leatherman Vista & Hybrid
on: January 31, 2010, 02:14:24 PM
As requested by Ben, here's a few pics showing the differences between the Vista and Hybrid pruners.

There aren't that many, in fact, and I'm not really sure what half of the tools are for, but they look like they'd make good pokers  :P

There you go mate :tu:
I used to come here a lot.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Leatherman Vista & Hybrid
Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 04:19:33 PM
Jeez it seems like they could have done a better job on blade selection for those two. :-\ That stupid weed cutter thing on the Hybrid - did anyone ever use one for its intended purpose? - and the choke wrench tool on the Vista - same question. ::) And both of them could have easily been equipped with longer knife blades of a more useful shape.

Who decides these things?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 04:53:57 PM
Well, I suspect these will both get a good workout come the spring, so I'll report back accordingly  :salute:

I truly have no idea what half these things are, but in the spirit of multitool.org, I'll certainly poke a few things with them and see what happens :D

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 05:14:53 PM
The knife blade on the vista is piss poor. They went through the trouble of making a new one instead of out of parts bin, and they leave it that short?

The weeder could be useful, if it's twice or thrice the length, and strong enough to pry with, since that's what it takes to get dandelion out.

DEATH TO ALL DANDELIONS!!!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 06:21:35 PM
The knife blade on the vista is piss poor. They went through the trouble of making a new one instead of out of parts bin, and they leave it that short?

The weeder could be useful, if it's twice or thrice the length, and strong enough to pry with, since that's what it takes to get dandelion out.

They would have needed an onboard paraquat dispenser to get rid of those damn things. >:(
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 06:25:10 PM

There entrenched smurfs aren't they :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 06:45:50 PM

There entrenched smurfs aren't they :D

Harvest the dandelion greens, take them to the local farmer's market and get paid $3 -4 per package.  It's one of the hot new salad greens.   :tu:

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 09:00:32 PM
I tried them actually, bitter as hell, not sure if it's because different specie or something.

gb Offline Screwtape

• I am the Toast King!!
Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 09:29:22 PM
Where did you get than Dave?

I've been thinking about getting one for the Wife to use in the allotment and she actually took the laptop off me for a look when she saw those tow chaps on the screen. Finally a MT that she appreciates  :tu:
"Hello! I am the Toast King and I rule over the Moon!"

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 09:38:28 PM
Young tender dandelion leaves aren't too bad - a bit like rocket. However, using a weed poker will do sod all to get the deep rooted little buggers out!

I can't think of a use for half those tools either.... now I'm off to look at the LM site to see what they have made up about such matters  ;)
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 09:50:24 PM
OK, so LM don't have them on their site  :think:

Luckily, elsewhere on the big shiny interweb, this information can be found:

Hybrid
Bypass Pruners
Wire Cutters
Weed Remover
Grafting Knife
Bark Lifter
Phillips Screwdriver
Saw
Flat Screwdriver
Sprinkler Tool
Bottle Opener
Ruler

Vista
Bypass pruners
Awl
Choke tube tool
Flat screwdriver
Saw
Straight- and serrated-edge combo knife
Phillips screwdriver
Soft-wire cutters
Bottle opener

So we can glean from this that the Vista is obviously the better tool for one main reason - you can open your beer whilst gardening  :tu:

It is a silly selection of tools. The best and most useful from both could have been combined to make one good tool I reckon. That said, I wouldn't kick one out of bed for eating biscuits ;)
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

Offline Magnus

Reply #11 on: January 31, 2010, 10:52:26 PM
OK, so LM don't have them on their site  :think:

Luckily, elsewhere on the big shiny interweb, this information can be found:

Hybrid
Bypass Pruners
Wire Cutters
Weed Remover
Grafting Knife
Bark Lifter
Phillips Screwdriver
Saw
Flat Screwdriver
Sprinkler Tool
Bottle Opener
Ruler

Vista
Bypass pruners
Awl
Choke tube tool
Flat screwdriver
Saw
Straight- and serrated-edge combo knife
Phillips screwdriver
Soft-wire cutters
Bottle opener

So we can glean from this that the Vista is obviously the better tool for one main reason - you can open your beer whilst gardening  :tu:

It is a silly selection of tools. The best and most useful from both could have been combined to make one good tool I reckon. That said, I wouldn't kick one out of bed for eating biscuits ;)

They both have bottle openers though  :think:
what is a choke tube tool?
[

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #12 on: January 31, 2010, 11:16:04 PM
Thanks Dave.  :tu:

Think I'll stick with my Hybrid.  Seems to fit my needs better.
I'm back!!

Offline trickknife

• Deputy Dog
Reply #13 on: February 01, 2010, 12:24:57 AM
Jeez it seems like they could have done a better job on blade selection for those two. :-\ That stupid weed cutter thing on the Hybrid - did anyone ever use one for its intended purpose? - and the choke wrench tool on the Vista - same question. ::) And both of them could have easily been equipped with longer knife blades of a more useful shape.

Who ever it is, he should be cowering in a corner right about now.  Watch out...BOB's on a rampage.    It's probably one of those things where you get an engineer who wants cool blades and stuff, but he gets stuck trying to make the marketing people happy by putting in what they want instead.  Don't ya just hate big companies?  LOL.  Obviously it worked out well for them.... ::) :think:  "What's that?  they discontinued it?...crap....no seriously dude what happened?"  Dang.

Still, I got the Hybrid and I like it a lot.  And yes, my hybrid also opens beer bottles. :sak:  I wish they'd bring it back, but I suspect that they are not too great at selling stuff to gardeners since they discontinued the Genus too.
-

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: February 01, 2010, 12:56:14 AM
I got them both in trades Screwtape, the Vista arrived a couple of days ago :)

I haven't used either of the yet, but they seem like competent pruners. Not so sure about the chicken choker though  :P

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: February 01, 2010, 01:04:40 AM

Who ever it is, he should be cowering in a corner right about now.  Watch out...BOB's on a rampage.    It's probably one of those things where you get an engineer who wants cool blades and stuff, but he gets stuck trying to make the marketing people happy by putting in what they want instead.  Don't ya just hate big companies?  LOL.  Obviously it worked out well for them.... ::) :think:  "What's that?  they discontinued it?...crap....no seriously dude what happened?"  Dang.

Still, I got the Hybrid and I like it a lot.  And yes, my hybrid also opens beer bottles. :sak:  I wish they'd bring it back, but I suspect that they are not too great at selling stuff to gardeners since they discontinued the Genus too.

Yeh, I like the pruners too. :-\ It's disappointing to me that they are being dropped, but I don't think this was due to the blade selection. More likely they just never got plugged in to the right retail outlets. For instance I'm a hunter and visit several of the big outdoor retail chain stores, but I've never seen a Vista for sale anywhere.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: February 01, 2010, 01:07:28 AM
I need a Genus now :)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: February 01, 2010, 01:12:48 AM
I need a Genus now :)

That's the cadillac of all multitools for sure :salute:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #18 on: February 01, 2010, 02:08:06 AM
That you do.  :D
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #19 on: February 01, 2010, 02:25:56 AM
I can not decide between the Hybrid or the Genus  :ahhh. Being retired I should get all 3  ::) ::) :D :D
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 02:43:53 AM by MultiMat »

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

Offline trickknife

• Deputy Dog
Reply #20 on: February 01, 2010, 02:35:29 AM
I can not decide between the Hybrid or the Genus  :ahhh. Being retired I should all 3  ::) ::) :D :D

If you don't care if it folds up, the new Genus is way nicer with the longer internal parts (knife, etc.).  Also, the pruner blade is interchangeable with a Felco blade in case you break yours.  The hybrid pruner blade is not replaceable.  Another thing, the genus components lock in place.  The hybrid blades just have a cam that wedges them open like on the PST.  Only draw back to the genus is that it is kind of big for my hands.
-

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #21 on: February 01, 2010, 02:44:49 AM
 :cheers: mate . The Genus does look very swish.

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: February 01, 2010, 02:47:51 AM
 ::) Just get all three and stop p1ssing about Mat  :pok:

Jeeeez  :P

us Offline SlackOne

• See Saw Seen
Reply #23 on: February 01, 2010, 03:05:03 AM
If that choke tube tool will fit Remington chokes, I'd see it being moderately handy.  I keep seeing doodads like this marketed as "bird shears", and I suppose they're to help dress out a bird.  I guess shears would be OK to take, say, the wings off of a turkey, but I don't hunt smaller birds where this might be more common.  But I do change tubes out during turkey season occasionally, as my super-duper turkey tube is naff for hunting the random squirrel while I'm sitting around the cabin.

And I like weed pokers (trying to figure out how to get ahold of one for my Bear Jaw shears, since mine came with a file), especially for getting rid of saplings.  We have a huge pecan tree that likes to breeeeeeeed, and I have to go around tearing out saplings, and a pokey bit like this would be nice to use to get rid of more stubborn roots without taking a spade to it.  Don't think I'd ever use a bark lifter though...
Half-ass done wholeheartedly!

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: February 01, 2010, 03:08:02 AM

[/quote]

They both have bottle openers though  :think:
what is a choke tube tool?
[/quote]

A choke tool is for changing shotgun chokes. The Vista must be hunting shears?

Mike
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: February 01, 2010, 03:14:14 AM
If that choke tube tool will fit Remington chokes, I'd see it being moderately handy.  I keep seeing doodads like this marketed as "bird shears", and I suppose they're to help dress out a bird.  I guess shears would be OK to take, say, the wings off of a turkey, but I don't hunt smaller birds where this might be more common.  But I do change tubes out during turkey season occasionally, as my super-duper turkey tube is naff for hunting the random squirrel while I'm sitting around the cabin.

And I like weed pokers (trying to figure out how to get ahold of one for my Bear Jaw shears, since mine came with a file), especially for getting rid of saplings.  We have a huge pecan tree that likes to breeeeeeeed, and I have to go around tearing out saplings, and a pokey bit like this would be nice to use to get rid of more stubborn roots without taking a spade to it.  Don't think I'd ever use a bark lifter though...

It has three different sizes i am thinking 410, 20ga and 12ga. It is hard to believe that it wood not fit a 870 or a Mossberg.

Mike
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

us Offline SlackOne

• See Saw Seen
Reply #26 on: February 01, 2010, 04:28:27 PM
Just a quick one-two on choke tubes, and why you'd need a tool for one to begin with:

A lot of modern shotguns have a threaded section inside of the "business end" of the barrel made to screw choke tubes into.  These tubes are 2"-4" externally threaded pipes with varying degrees of internal taper.  The degree of taper determines how tight your shot column is.  For example, a "cylinder" tube (no taper at all) tends to cause the shot to spread to a high degree in a very short range.  On the other end of the spectrum an "extra full" tube compresses the shot very tightly, causing the spread to be very small and extending the effective range of the shot.  What flavor you use depends on what you're shooting at.  A turkey is a tough, alert bird with a very small "kill zone" and a tendency to run at any sign of danger, and as such you try and get as much shot as possible into that small area from a goodly distance, requiring a tight choke.  On the other hand, shooting trap or clay pigeons is completely hindered by such a tight group, so you use a more open (but not completely open) choke to get a better spread.

You use a tool because a whole lot of these things screw flush with the end of the barrel, and require a notched wrench to get in and take them out.  A good wrench is important, because if you don't get them screwed in well, there's the very slight chance that they might wiggle loose and go down-range with your shot column, which isn't great on the barrel either :P
Half-ass done wholeheartedly!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD