Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Whoring myself out!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Whoring myself out!
on: December 02, 2011, 04:26:39 PM
In case you missed it, I am looking for some sponsors for this year's SHOT Show.  If you know anyone who may be interested, please feel free to give them this link:

http://www.edcsource.com/100024,owner_id,other_items

I'll admit, when I started EDCSource I never thought I'd be using it to sell myself!  :D

As an added bonus you get to see my Movember Mustache in this video too!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Re: Whoring myself out!
Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 06:28:58 PM
Great ad boss, I hope we get some good sponsors  :tu:
SAW

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 06:40:24 PM
Good work.  :tu: Now we wait.  :D
I'm the milk man!

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 07:30:28 PM
What?!? No ironing, vacuming, dish washing?!?  :pok: :pok: :pok: :D :D :D

Whish I could help.... But best luck!!  :tu: :tu: :tu: :salute: :salute: :salute:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
There is method to my madness....
http://svakodnevnesitnice.blogspot.com/

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 07:54:38 PM
What?!? No ironing, vacuming, dish washing?!?  :pok: :pok: :pok: :D :D :D

Whish I could help.... But best luck!!  :tu: :tu: :tu: :salute: :salute: :salute:

I was just glad to see he'd still got his clothes on  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

What with Moevember coming to a close I had horrific mental images of Def  like this  ...

:o

Joking aside, good call Gaffer and hope we get a big name or two :tu:

Wouldn't it be something if we ended up with Corporate sponsorship from Leatherman, Victorinox, Gerber and Spam  :rofl: :rofl:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 08:15:54 PM
Grant!  You hussie!!!  :rofl:  :D

Business connections and the like are hardly my forte, but if I think of something I'll be happy to mention it.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 09:58:57 PM
The big thing is that the various sites I run are all informational and referential which doesn't really benefit financially from SHOT coverage.  The four shows I've been to already all out of pocket expenses.  And, since we aren't covered completely by ads like other sites, this one is pretty much run almost entirely out of pocket as well, meaning that there's no way for me to recoup those costs, so I thought I would give this a shot this year and see what happens.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 11:00:10 PM
That's why you were wearing so much lipstick...

us Offline tattoosteve99

Whoring myself out!
Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 11:04:41 PM
Wow what kinda service do we get for 24 hrs? Lol
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 11:55:16 PM
The big thing is that the various sites I run are all informational and referential which doesn't really benefit financially from SHOT coverage.  The four shows I've been to already all out of pocket expenses.  And, since we aren't covered completely by ads like other sites, this one is pretty much run almost entirely out of pocket as well, meaning that there's no way for me to recoup those costs, so I thought I would give this a shot this year and see what happens.

Def
Perfectly understandable in my book...  I personally wouldn't mind seeing you have more ads as long as it doesn't end up like CPF...  :ahhh

Perhaps one thing to investigate would be to build some kind reviewing or evaluation service out of MTO.  The accumulation of knowledge and experience of all the members here is fantastic, and that might be something that companies like Leatherman and Gerber would be willing to make use of. 

If not at least them providing support through some advertising, I'd bet many members here would be willing to contribute to product evaluation and testing.  It could be done on a priority basis so the results could be given to Leatherman or Gerber without actually publicly publishing it on MTO until they had given their approval or the tool was available to the public, and so on. 

For myself, even though my need for such tools isn't nearly the same as most other members here because I'm a professor, I'd certainly be happy to participate in something like that for just a free tool.  Wouldn't most of you guys be willing to test out a prototype tool, provide feedback on it, and keep mum about it to get a free MT, or folder, or SAK?

Anyway, that's enough outta me... just brain farting, that's all.   :salute:
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: December 03, 2011, 12:08:05 AM
Wow what kinda service do we get for 24 hrs? Lol

Well you won't get any moose stuff, that's for sure...

@HD- We already do some of that.  We've had some input on a few tools already. 

As for advertising, we don't have a lot here and we still have complaints that it's too much.  As for members buying in, we have that too, it's called Charter Membership.  And, we haven't had much luck with many advertisers- they like the loyalty from the user base, but they don't like that we don't blindly praise their products.  We have always striven for honesty here, which means folks are able to say that you don't like something, which can hurt sales for a smaller dealer.  A certain Gerber speSmurfpillst was upset about the large amount of "Gerber bashing" and pulled out.

So, we either start moderating people's opinions or we do without advertising.  I know which way I prefer....

BTW, if any of you are on FB, it might be helpful if you would go to the effort of sharing the links I have posted.  The more people that see it, the better!

Def

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #11 on: December 03, 2011, 02:06:51 AM

As for advertising, we don't have a lot here and we still have complaints that it's too much. 

Geez, anyone who thinks this site has too much ads need to go live in the real world, I'd be glad to show you some examples too.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #12 on: December 03, 2011, 02:12:49 AM
We have adds?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: December 03, 2011, 02:17:24 AM

As for advertising, we don't have a lot here and we still have complaints that it's too much. 

Geez, anyone who thinks this site has too much ads need to go live in the real world, I'd be glad to show you some examples too.

Yes, I agree, but we can't ignore people's thoughts and opinions, and that's another discussion entirely.

We have adds?

Yup- mostly for businesses I am friendly with, and none are paid ads.  The few we have are handshake deals with friends.

At any rate I don't think it's too much to ask for someone else to pay for a week's visit to Las Vegas is it?  :D

Seriously, I've already been contacted by a few designers and manufacturers I know who are excited about some things they will be announcing at the show, and let me tell you, I am excited.  I haven't got any actual info (and I wouldn't be able to share it if I did) but knowing these guys the way I do, I can tell you if they are excited, so should we!  :D

So, share this on Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus, Linkedin... whatever, just help us get the word out there!

Def

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #14 on: December 04, 2011, 09:03:17 AM
One of the things that always appealed to me prior to me signing up on this site is the freedom of opinion that is allowed.  It's imperative that a Multi review be unbiased, so if sponsors can't swallow a little negativity like Grant describes, we don't need them.  I have yet to own a tool that I thought was perfect, if I did I would likely be much quieter here.  While I'm not opposed to ads, I think that opinions should remain individual without any pressure. 

Sponsoring EDCSource is another matter, it's not an opinionated public forum so the ads COULD be different in order to indirectly fund MTO.

My opinion here is just an opinion, and everyone has one...   ::)

Meaning I am just a normal dude who happens to love tools.  I am by no means any more correct than anyone else, I just wanted to comment.  Great vid Grant, I hope for the best!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: December 04, 2011, 10:26:07 PM
That is kind of the point of EDCSource- it should hopefully pay for Multitool.org, SOSAKOnline, SAKWiki and so on.  In practice though it seems folks aren't using EDCSource all that much, so again I'm handling the bills myself.

Def

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #16 on: December 05, 2011, 01:05:54 AM
I am going to head over there now.  Does it matter what seller we buy from?

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: December 05, 2011, 01:49:02 AM
One of the things that always appealed to me prior to me signing up on this site is the freedom of opinion that is allowed.  It's imperative that a Multi review be unbiased, so if sponsors can't swallow a little negativity like Grant describes, we don't need them.  I have yet to own a tool that I thought was perfect, if I did I would likely be much quieter here.  While I'm not opposed to ads, I think that opinions should remain individual without any pressure. 

Sponsoring EDCSource is another matter, it's not an opinionated public forum so the ads COULD be different in order to indirectly fund MTO.

My opinion here is just an opinion, and everyone has one...   ::)

Meaning I am just a normal dude who happens to love tools.  I am by no means any more correct than anyone else, I just wanted to comment.  Great vid Grant, I hope for the best!!

+1 on all this!  Especially just liking cool and useful tools.  I don't even have that big of a need for them to be honest...  I do try to do as much of my own handiwork around the house as I can, but I'm not a carpenter, contractor, etc. Often times my handiwork ends up blowing up in my face too...   :o

But having two kids, and being a cub scout leader for two years, and a cyclist where I occasionally have to make a roadside repair, fix a flat, or the like, I feel a lot more secure and comfortable knowing I can fend for myself and take care of things for my wife and kids when I need to.

And I love the freedom of expression I see here too, and appreciate the fact that we all seem to keep civil when it comes to things that could be fractious topics or points of view.  Once I have my finances a little more in order, I'll definitely consider becoming a contributing member.  Being a member here has been extremely helpful and useful to me, and I've tried to contribute in kind as well as I can, so now I'll see what I can do to keep going with that.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: December 05, 2011, 02:07:21 AM
I am going to head over there now.  Does it matter what seller we buy from?

Support is support.

I started EDCSource at the request of this community to support this and other knife, gun, tactical, LEO and outdoors communities, so feel free to spread the word to everyone you may know who might be interested.

Def

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #19 on: December 05, 2011, 02:13:18 AM
Will do.  I wasn't sure if buying from Felinevet would support the site or not, he's my favorite SAK supplier.   I will just keep browsing what's for sale over there. 

us Offline Bruce909

Reply #20 on: December 16, 2011, 11:01:51 PM
Hi Grant,

Are you still looking for sponsorship or did you win the lottery? 

The link to EDCsource does not bring up any way to "sponsor" you.

Bruce

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: December 16, 2011, 11:41:15 PM
The auctions in which I "sold" myself are all now completed, but I am going to keep it open for new sponsors just in case anyone was distracted from the biggest event of the year by something as trivial as the holidays!  :D

If there are any questions about sponsoring the SHOT trip, please send me a PM.

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%