Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Juice S2 - Lost lockback mechanism

uspfan · 15 · 2361

Offline uspfan

• New User
Juice S2 - Lost lockback mechanism
on: February 02, 2010, 02:11:02 AM
I have a Juice S2. I've only had it for a few months, and I use it quite a bit. Just the other day, though, I needed to use the small end chisel tool. It wasn't locking for some reason, and I noticed that the lockback plate piece was completely gone! There is a gap where it used to be. I don't know when or how it happened, and I checked my pockets to no avail. Is this a part I can order from anywhere and install myself? If I send it back to Leatherman, will they simply repair the tool and put in a new mechanism, or will I get an entirely new tool? Has this happened to anyone else? I can post a picture if necessary, but I hope my description is clear enough.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Re: Juice S2 - Lost lockback mechanism
Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 02:17:37 AM
Hi uspfan.

A pic would be helpful, as well as informative, but before I see one, I think we can safely say that it's not good!

There are no user serviceable parts on the Juice I'm afraid, so a return to the factory looks like your best option (unless you can get the retailer to exchange to perhaps)? It sounds very much like a warranty problem, and given the way the Juice is constructed, it could be important to the structure of the tool. I'd get it swapped or fixed ASAP if it were me.

Actually, I'm very interested to see a picture if you can get one, as I'm not sure if I'm imagining the right thing.
I used to come here a lot.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 02:21:12 AM
I agree with Dave, no matter what it is you won't be able fix it yourself. :(

Sounds like a portion (or all) of the backsping has broken off. "Small end chisel tool"? Do you mean one of the flat screwdrivers?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 02:25:35 AM
I agree with Dave, no matter what it is you won't be able fix it yourself. :(

Sounds like a portion (or all) of the backsping has broken off. "Small end chisel tool"? Do you mean one of the flat screwdrivers?

That was my assumption too Bob. I'd be a bit wary of other bits flying off it - springs and tension and all that. Mostly though, I'd want a bloody good tool after only three months!
I used to come here a lot.

Offline uspfan

• New User
Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 03:05:52 AM
Here's a photo:

To me, the missing part seems as if it would be plate-like and function as the lock back. The tool bit it affects is the centrally located and smallest of the 3 chisel/standard screwdrivers, which to me made it a small-end chisel. I've also used it as a small standard screwdriver, though.

Regardless, it looks like I'll have to send it back in.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 03:07:38 AM by uspfan »

00 Offline jim guy

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 03:54:53 AM
just put some shiny tape on the sides and put it on ebay and tell them captain kirk used it.  should  fetch a couple hundred dollars then!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 03:58:06 AM
Yah, we call that missing part a backspring uspfan, as it maintains tension on the back of the blade pivot (or in this case, screwdriver pivot). It also serves as a "stop" to hold the blade in the fully open position.

Regardless, it should not have broken. :(
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 04:32:09 AM
Here's a photo:

To me, the missing part seems as if it would be plate-like and function as the lock back. The tool bit it affects is the centrally located and smallest of the 3 chisel/standard screwdrivers, which to me made it a small-end chisel. I've also used it as a small standard screwdriver, though.

Regardless, it looks like I'll have to send it back in.
Back spring isndefinately gone. LM warranty should cover this one! :2tu:
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

Offline trickknife

• Deputy Dog
Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 05:43:22 AM
If it is sentimental, and if you are reasonably handy, you can do a work around.  :D  I can tell you how, but you must be brave (and have really good safety glasses), I just tried it and it works.   >:D
-

Offline uspfan

• New User
Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 07:33:36 AM
Actually, I kind of would like to know if there's some way I can keep using this one! (It's been on a lot of adventures with me in its short 3 month life and I was embarrassed to say I'm a bit sentimental.  :P)

Worst case, what kind of turnaround does Leatherman have for warranty work?

us Offline django.cj

Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 02:37:48 PM
My experiance has been a week turnaround time. Maybe two at the worst.
They will most likely replace it unless you ask otherwise.

Offline trickknife

• Deputy Dog
Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 09:53:14 PM
Basically, you want to take the springs from one side and switch them with the springs on the other side.  I'll write it up tonight and post it.  It's not that hard to do...I don't have time to do it now.  gotta get back to the shop.
-

Offline trickknife

• Deputy Dog
Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 08:45:33 AM
Basically, you want to take the springs from one side and switch them with the springs on the other side.  I'll write it up tonight and post it.  It's not that hard to do...I don't have time to do it now.  gotta get back to the shop.

Since one side has fatter springs, you need to pop them out and trade them with the two thin springs.  That way, the two thin springs can go against the phillips screw driver and the two fat ones now span the full width of the three smaller screw drivers.  Keep in mind, the force to get out the small screw drivers goes up a bit in the process, but it should fix the problem.

This is how you do it.

The only thing holding the springs in place is the way they wrap around the steel frame on the back.  They only have to be pushed up into the handle slightly from the back side (next to where it says Leatherman).  Then you can push on the end of the spring and just shove it right out.  I'd recommend putting a sturdy nail in a vise sticking up about 1/4".  Hold the tool folded up and closed with the plier end pointing down.  line up one spring with the nail.  With another pointed instrument, push on the same spring except you will be pushing it into the handle from the outside.  It only has to go about 1/32nd of an inch.  While pushing that to the side, push down on the nail.  The tool should travel 1/4" as the spring slides up and starts to come out below the scrwedrivers at the other end of the frame.  now that it is started, you can finish up fairly easily.  Do the same for the rest of the springs.

Now switch them to the opposite handle.  Remember where on the handle the springs came out.  Put the new spring back in that same direction (from the screwdriver end).  Unfold the jaws just slightly out of the handle.  Now slide the spring in until it hits the jaw.  Holding the jaw firml in place, (not squeezing, but just holding it steady in its current location), push the spring in by pushing the part sticking out up against something solid.  Keep holding the pliers in that position. You'll need a flat head screw driver or somethign similar to push the spring in the rest of the way until it snaps into place. Do the same for the rest of the springs.

You should be done now.

I hope it works out for you like it did for me.
-

Offline uspfan

• New User
Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 04:16:09 PM
Great! Thank you so much for that write up. I'll probably see what I can do with it this weekend.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: February 04, 2010, 04:48:08 AM
Wow, that was impressive TK! :salute: I'm almost tempted to try that myself, even though mine isn't broken! :P

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%