Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

2010 Shot - the Squirt ES4 and PS4

J-sews · 28 · 16609

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
2010 Shot - the Squirt ES4 and PS4
on: January 23, 2010, 08:39:15 AM
Almost lost in the hysteria surrounding the new MUT and Style CS this week was the introduction of two new members of the Squirt clan, the ES4 and the PS4. Photos of these two newcomers were first seen a few weeks ago when an unauthorized picture was "leaked" out onto the internet. The more obvious features of both tools were noticed right away, but a few other subtle changes were not apparent until we were able to see the tools firsthand.

Most folks will recognize the lineage of the PS4, as it is basically just the P4 pliers model with a new-for-Leatherman mini scissor replacing the P4's small screwdriver and awl.

Likewise the ES4 is recognizable, as it is basically an E4 electrician model with scissors replacing the small screwdriver and tweezer. (also a flat phillips replacing the 3D phillips of the E4)  I was able to snip up a few bits of paper that was on hand, and the new scissors performed flawlessly. Further testing with other materials will be necessary of course.

Note how in both new models the two long blades (knife and file) have been moved to the same handle? This is turn prompted Leatherman to equip them with all new scales, with a thinned section in the middle and a curved "dish", allowing the user easier access to the long blades.

Notice the curved dish in the photo above. Also notice the raised area around each pivot screw, which wasn't on the scales previously either.

Did someone say pivot screws? Yes indeed, as has already been discussed, both the ES4 and PS4 are outfitted with screws instead of the rivets found on all previous Squirts. No explanation was offered for the change, nor was there any mention of whether screws would be substituted on existing Squirt models (or Juice models for that matter)

Rest assured we will pursue that question further. :salute:

Also new was the textured matte finish of the scales, something Leatherman claims will offer better grip and improved scratch resistance over the smooth shiny scales on prior models. (note that this same matte texture is on the new Style tool) Keychain tools do receive their fair share of abuse, both in the pocket and dangling from the ignition switch. :-\

Other relevent pics:

knife blade comparison, Squirt ES4, Style CS, Micra

file blade comparison, Squirt ES4, Style CS, Micra

« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 08:41:28 AM by J-sews »
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ni-ulster Offline cerbera147

• No Life Club
Re: 2010 Shot - the Squirt ES4 and PS4
Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 08:46:04 AM
Wow, these do look good  :drool:

While the ES4 wouldn't be something I would be after the PS4 would. :D

I like curved scales you point out; it's the little bits like that make a Leatherman worth its money  :tu:

Thanks for these J-sews  :salute:

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 08:51:18 AM
I guess I just don't like this form factor as these do nothing for me. :ahhh
Got those frog legs.

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 08:51:39 AM
Wow, just what I've always wanted!   :gimme:
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

Offline Magnus

Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 09:00:39 AM
This is the first time I have noticed, but the blades on these and the style series are all chisel ground? correct? shame really.

The ES4 is the only one I am really interested in, and it doesn't seem like a massive improvement to me.
[

Offline Ady

Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 09:38:39 AM
The PS4 looks perfect!
What is handle material made of?

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 03:31:45 PM
Are the screws just regular hex holes? If so, how easy would it be to remove the blade on the PS4? I'm liking the PS4.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 05:15:32 PM
The PS4 looks perfect!
What is handle material made of?

Handles are anodized aluminum, just like the old ones. The differences have to do with the surface texture of the aluminum. These new ones look like they've been given a very fine bead blast prior to color anodizing, whereas the old Squirt scales were highly polished.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 05:16:32 PM
Are the screws just regular hex holes? If so, how easy would it be to remove the blade on the PS4? I'm liking the PS4.

They look to be pretty easy to disassemble all right. (modders everywhere rejoice!) :D

Offline Dizos

Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 06:21:49 PM

They look to be pretty easy to disassemble all right. (modders everywhere rejoice!) :D

I would love to have a PS4 modded with ti scales and a clip. 

us Offline turbov21

Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 08:11:55 PM
I kind of like the PS4.  I have an E4, which I mostly use because I haven't bought a real wire stripper, so I'm not inclined to want another one. However, the mini pliers on the PS4 look quite complimentary to pairing up with a SAK.  My Super Tinker has nice blades and a great pair of scissors, but it lacks pliers, a file, and a smaller flat head screwdriver.  Hmm.  I think I may was a PS4.

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 09:36:05 PM
One of these might be able to challenge the longer reigning king S4 on my keys.
Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

Offline villlaverde

Reply #12 on: January 23, 2010, 10:00:11 PM
When will start selling the PS4?

us Offline EZ822

Reply #13 on: January 23, 2010, 10:28:23 PM
If I'm not mistaken they will all be available in May. Too long a wait in my opinion. I want a PS4 now!  :ahhh  :D
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 10:33:02 PM by EZ822 »
Erick

Offline villlaverde

Reply #14 on: January 23, 2010, 10:35:31 PM
If I'm not mistaken they will all be available in May. Too long a wait in my opinion. I want a PS4 now!  :ahhh  :D

yes, too long a wait  :drool:

thanks

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #15 on: January 23, 2010, 10:38:12 PM
PS4 looks like a winner for me, but I'm fairly sure the scales would look like cr*p after a short while next to the keys too.

Shame these new tools are all coloured instead of offering a steel or Ti alternative. That would certainly be my choice anyway.

That said, the PS4 tool lineup is going to fill a gap for a lot of people I reckon  :tu:
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: January 23, 2010, 10:41:50 PM
So to the guys who have handled these tools, and I suppose to everyone else drooling over them, which is better, the original P4, or the new PS4? I.e. are the introduction of the scissors worth the loss of the tools that have been replaced?

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #17 on: January 24, 2010, 12:50:07 AM
I'm amazed how long we have had to wait for such a tool as the PS4 actually.
I'm back!!

Offline Dizos

Reply #18 on: January 24, 2010, 01:00:05 AM
PS4 looks like a winner for me, but I'm fairly sure the scales would look like cr*p after a short while next to the keys too.

Shame these new tools are all coloured instead of offering a steel or Ti alternative. That would certainly be my choice anyway.

That said, the PS4 tool lineup is going to fill a gap for a lot of people I reckon  :tu:

Amen.

it Offline sardauker

• Just arrived
Reply #19 on: January 24, 2010, 01:29:16 AM
es4 added to my wishlist.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: January 24, 2010, 09:29:26 AM
So to the guys who have handled these tools, and I suppose to everyone else drooling over them, which is better, the original P4, or the new PS4? I.e. are the introduction of the scissors worth the loss of the tools that have been replaced?

I use scissors quite often, so my personal choice would be the PS4 over the P4. :salute:

Which brings up a good point, I don't believe Leatherman intended to set the world on fire with these two new models. I think they simply wanted to provide folks with more options.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #21 on: January 24, 2010, 04:49:01 PM
I have to agree with Bob- while I like having the scissors and pliers (nice to finally see) I just wasn't thrilled with either of these new models, and I personally found the Style CS much more interesting.  There was nothing wrong with the new Squirts, just no real wow factor.

It is good to see Leatherman finally dong something with that line though, and answering what people have been asking for for years.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Dizos

Reply #22 on: January 25, 2010, 12:14:38 AM
BTW - Thank you Multitool.org guys.  It has been really nice to have folks at SHOT reporting on all the new models.  Well done! Very very cool. 

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: January 25, 2010, 12:20:01 AM
While I'm not sure I like the look of the asymmetrical scales (just an aesthetic thing) the PS4 really does cover all the basics for me.  I'm going to have to get one. :drool:

Now, if only it came with a corkscrew. :-\

:D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: January 25, 2010, 02:51:37 AM
I have every Squirt model.  I'm just not sure that is worth speding $40 to add some scissors.  If I didn't own any, I would have no problem with it. 

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: February 03, 2010, 05:21:42 AM
Well this is unexpected....

I was just browsing through the disk we were handed at the Leatherman booth. On it is a pdf copy of the 2010 Leatherman catalog, showing the entire line up of Leatherman tools. They have the new PS4 and ES4 shown, but they've apparently dropped the P4 and S4 and E4 models. :( 

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Reply #26 on: February 03, 2010, 05:39:56 AM

I was just browsing through the disk we were handed at the Leatherman booth. On it is a pdf copy of the 2010 Leatherman catalog, showing the entire line up of Leatherman tools. They have the new PS4 and ES4 shown, but they've apparently dropped the P4 and S4 and E4 models. :( 

Leatherman probably figured that the new models would make the P4, S4, and E4 obsolete. It's too bad really, but I'm glad I'm stocked up on both P4's & S4's although I do need the pink ones.  :D 
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #27 on: February 03, 2010, 06:01:18 AM

Leatherman probably figured that the new models would make the P4, S4, and E4 obsolete. It's too bad really, but I'm glad I'm stocked up on both P4's & S4's although I do need the pink ones.  :D 

Grr, I actually prefer the P4 to the Ps4... the awl, as puny as it is, actually rounds out the P4 better as a plier-based tool. :/

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%