Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

non-locking Damascene folding knife with staghorn handles

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
So it arrived today!

This is a non-locking folding knife, damascene blade (pattern welded), with stag horn handle inserts with brass fittings.

This item was bought from a private seller, on speSmurfpillstauctions.com (username is militarymania, he does have some other knives for sale) and it came with a leather sheath.

Regarding the seller, he was polite and happy to answer any and all questions. He dispatched the item as the earliest opportunity, postage costs were reasonable, and I received the item one day after dispatch, so can’t get better than that!

First impressions, it’s a big sheath! Wasn’t expecting it to be this big, or to weigh this much!

Maybe the sheath is too big for the tool…

Hmm, doesn’t look like it! This is a big knife (for us puny brits anyway with our crappy laws).

Upon looking at the knife the first thing I’m thinking is how beautiful it looks with its stag horn handles and brass fittings. And on holding it, it isn’t light at 227g / 8 ounces, but I like the considerable heft in your hand. In regards to the handles, they are very comfortable to hold, and the rough texture of the stag horn gives you a good grip, and feels warm in the hand.

Now, first impressions of the blade itself, boy does the damascene pattern look gorgeous! I don’t think I can ever admire a knife again after having set my eyes on this! (Its kind of the same story with my current watch, a made in the USA Android titanium bracelet beauty (automatic) with a blue mother of pearl face – I just cant admire watches with flat faces anymore!)

The length of the blade cutting surface is 3.25 inches, the whole length of the blade is 3.75 inches (which one is the relevant one for UK laws?). And as mentioned before, it is not locking.

The blade is not one handed opening, it has a tight feel to it, and requires a fair bit of force to snap open, and has no play in it what so ever, real high quality feel! Same goes for the closure, requires a fair bit of force, and with it closed, so creaking or moving at all.

It is sharp, but not razor sharp, but for my purposes (of basically looking at it), it will do just fine.

So overall I am very impressed with this item. Just to mention the price, £27.50 including delivery.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Re: non-locking Damascene folding knife with staghorn handles
Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 09:04:44 PM
It's the cutting edge that the law is based on.

Nice looking knife.  For me though, with a blade that isn't EDCable it may as well just be a locker as well.
I'm back!!

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 09:11:32 PM
So this knife is a quarter of an inch over UK legal laws?

Hmm, add in the fact it isnt locking, should I be willing to take the risk?

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 09:17:08 PM
It's a 1/4" over the cutting edge, and 3/4" on total blade length.  To the letter of the law, really you are only just over, but to play it safe it is always recommended to have a total blade length (including tang) under 3".  Going by that, you are way over the length.

Personally, I wouldn't risk it as like I previously said, an extra inch (which actually turns out to be 3/4") makes a huge difference on a 3" blade IMO.  If you were ever caught with it you'd have to have a bloody good reason to justify a blade of that length.  I reckon it would be harder to justify that than a lock.
I'm back!!

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 09:20:29 PM
Now that's a knife..

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 09:22:44 PM
Yeah, you are right. Why risk it?

To tell you the truth, I dont think I would ever need to have a dedicated knife with me in public anyway. At most, I could carry my spirit, and I would hope that could pass, what with its very innocent looking, although locking, butter knife.

This knife would only be in the public domain if I was transferring it from one location to another.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 10:21:18 PM
Now that's a conversation piece!

It certainly looks well made from the pictures :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 10:41:35 PM
Nice but but  :ahhh not carryable  :(

That'd drive me nuts.
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 01:52:17 AM
That's a real beauty all right. 8)

Did the maker stamp any sort of maker's mark on it?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 06:16:10 AM
He hasnt on this knife Bob, but I remember reading one of his other auctions in which it said he had.

Why do you ask?

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 04:42:09 AM
He hasnt on this knife Bob, but I remember reading one of his other auctions in which it said he had.

Why do you ask?

It just seems to be a tradition among custom knifemakers, and I didn't see any markings in your pictures.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%