Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Micro Mosquito RC Helicopter 6018

Head Turd Polisher Administrator Just Bananas Posts: 61,422 Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Micro Mosquito RC Helicopter
« on: July 03, 2007, 03:18:38 PM »
I'm seeing a bunch of these things around these days and I think i am going to have to take the plunge and snag one.  Anyone have one of these, and if so, what are your thoughts?

For those who don't know what they are:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IKTfe5TBmY&mode=related&search=

Def

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.
Head Turd Polisher Administrator Just Bananas Posts: 61,422 Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Micro Mosquito RC Helicopter
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 05:01:31 PM »
Well I got one pretty cheap on eBay so I'll report on it when it arrives.

And I am going to move this to teh Gadget Freak, which is probably where it belonged in the first place...   :-[

Def

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.
No Life Club Posts: 3,994 Improvise.
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 05:15:50 PM »
Take some before and after pics...before it takes off, and after it smashes into your ceiling!

[
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 05:29:56 PM »
I have so many fans in my place that it should be an interesting challenge to fly!

Def

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 02:59:35 AM »
Well I have been drooling over these things on YouTube for a few days now and I simply MUST have one- which is good because I won one on eBay for little more than a song.  The vids I have been watching on the Mosquito and other small RC helicopters has got me completely fascinated to the point where I think I need to get another one...

The Mosquito has yet to arrive and I am already thinking my second one will be an Air Hogs Reflex model which uses two small propellers in addition to the main rotors to give an unprecedented level of agility.

I was originally captivated by this little 'copter:
http://pixelito.reference.be/

After seeing that I knew the world of teeny helicopters would get me sooner or later!

I am getting kind of excited about these things... is that so wrong?

Def

No Life Club Posts: 3,994 Improvise.
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 03:13:00 AM »
Hang some glo rings or blinking LEDs from them and fly them over your neighborhood..

[
Formerly known as 665ae No Life Club Posts: 3,370 blah blah blah
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 03:34:52 AM »
That Air Hogs pic looks like a photoshop edit...

I think I like the looks of the Mosquito better.  It looks a lot more "techie" :)

If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007, 08:56:42 PM »
Man I am still drooling over this thing.  Only now, I am hoping that it comes with "Some Assembly Required" so there will be some tool content!

Def

Admin Team Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 23,213
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 01:53:33 AM »
After you've had it for the first hour or two, I'm certain there will be "Some Re-Assembly Required."    :)

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2007, 02:55:12 AM »
That's kind of what I am hoping for...  ;D

I am going to tape the pieces back together with Multitool.org stickers so I can write it off as a business expense!

Def

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2007, 02:32:27 AM »
Well I found out today that a friend of mine already has a similar type, so now it's that much more important that I get one!

Despite his greater experience, I am certain I can take him out!

Def

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2007, 03:55:18 PM »
It's here- it arrived safe and sound this morning and I have some pictures, and even a short movie!  Unfortunately the battery for the controller was pretty well DOA and I have no 9v batteries lying around, so no more until I get back from Radio Shack!

Def

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2007, 04:07:23 PM »
Here's some pics:

I was instantly disappointed that there was no assembly required.  No chance to use tools!   :(

Then I noticed that it may not need to be assembled, but it does come with a tool!  Sure it's a microscopic screwdriver, but that really brightened it up for me again!

Then I found out what the screwdriver was for- the helicopter comes bolted into the styrofoam!  Needless to say, instead of using the dinky screwdriver that came with it, out came the Charge and the mini screwdriver hidden within!

Def
91.43 kB | 768x576

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2007, 04:08:25 PM »
The screwdriver and the Charge...

The screwdriver was packaged with a spare tail rotor- they must know me to send spare parts!

Def
24.99 kB | 618x338 16.96 kB | 519x510

Administrator Full Member Posts: 232 Don't Panic!
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2007, 06:28:56 PM »
thinkgeek has lots of interestin RC toys,

http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/rc/

this one is specially cool

http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/rc/79c7/
Hero Member Posts: 840
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2007, 08:42:17 PM »

What about this guy here...is it cool or what ?

In the yearly 2000 I found a guy in Germany that build the Smallest Micro
helicopter in the World. But I can't find the link now.
This Heli was the size of a Peanuts Pod .... wow !
Also if you want to check on Google there is a lot of Info on INDOOR FlYERS
bunch of Micro airplanes some with 2 CHANELS some with 4 Chanels.

The price now ( after 7 years or more ) have come down a lot...
Also you can check : http://www.cloud9rc.com/index.asp

There is the Microflight Magazine but they No longer have the Internet site .
They used to be Online too....
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 09:32:46 PM by M.TEX »

M.TEX
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2007, 10:36:13 PM »
The small helicopter you are thinking of- was it the Pixelito?  I think I posted the link earlier...

Def

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2007, 03:57:07 AM »
So how's it working???

If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2007, 04:09:44 AM »
I did this to it the first day... and since then I've had to fix broken blades twice more.  The tape that came with it for repairing blades came loose on this one and I had to fix it again, then I broke another one!

I have an order in for another couple of sets of blades, but the good news is, I'm not too shabby at flying it now.  It was a hell of alot more of a challenge than I thought it would be!  It took me a whole day just to master flying straight up to the ceiling and landing without banging the motors off the ground!  I also spent a long time playing with the trim so the body wouldn't constantly spin around, which is also a challenge.

It's pretty cool actually- once you get a decent height to hover, and the trim adjusted so the body doesn't spin, you think you have it licked.  Then, you activate the tail rotor to move the helicopter forward, and suddenly it nosedives!  You have to constantly adjust the throttle and trim in order to keep it off the ground- when the tail rotor activates, the body pitches forward, which means that some of the lift you ad is now switched to forward motion.  Which means you have less lift to keep it off the ground, so you have to add more throttle to compensate.  But, the trim is adjusted for X amount of throttle, and you've just changed that, so you really need three hands to work this rig!

After playing with it almost non stop for several days, all I have accomplished is being able to take off from the middle of the room and land on the coffee table most of the time!  And, to make matters worse, it's a very large coffee table at about 2 1/2 feet by 4 feet long.   :o

But I'm having a buttload of fun, and I have crashed and burned many times!  If you are feeling too good about yourself some day, and want to be humbled, pick up one of these toys that says "Ages 12 and up" and just see how much skill you really have!

Def
49.18 kB | 651x604

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2007, 08:07:17 PM »
I picked one of these up off ebay after talking to you about it.  I've messed with it for about an hour, and I can't get it to move forward or backward.  The tail rotor spins when I press the controller, but it just spins in a large circle...

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2007, 02:28:15 AM »
Like I said, you have to spend a bunch of time figuring out how to work the trim.  It's a serious challenge, but I'm having a darn good time with it!

Def

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2007, 02:04:05 PM »
Here's another thought for you Mike- from the reading I did about these things, most folks agree that the knockoffs fly better than the original.  I have a knockoff- do you have a knockoff or an original?

I think the easiest way to tell is the LEDs on the front.  It looks like the real ones have solid green LEDs, while mine has LEDs that flash in red green and blue.  It looks like the originals also come with a base station/charger while the knockoffs only come with a charging cable, which makes the most sense to me since the base station is powered by C cells or an AC adapter which is sold separately.

My father's is an original as well I think, which might explain why he has had so many problems with it too.

Def

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2007, 03:46:08 PM »
I've got the Alany model.  Flashing red, green, and blue eyes.  It's the same one you've got (judging by the pictures of the box.)

I'm going to get it back out today and play with it some more.  Hopefully I'll figure out how to fly the thing.  I can at least get it to hover some of the time :)

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2007, 04:16:33 PM »
You need to quit your job and devote more time to it, like I did!

:pok:

Def

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2007, 07:08:30 PM »
Or... I could just take it to work :)

Admin Team Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 23,213
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2007, 05:11:16 AM »

But wouldn't that cut into your internetting time?  ;)

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2007, 07:18:03 AM »

But wouldn't that cut into your internetting time?  ;)

Very true... I'm going to have to talk to my Union about getting more time to goof off... :)

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2007, 01:45:18 PM »
I traded the original (small) tail rotor for the larger one that was in the little baggy, and that made it fly forward and in reverse better since it provides more lift for the back end.  Unfortunately last night I broke one of the blades off at the base, so no way to fix it.  I am back to the original small rotor now, but I haven't flown much since I changed back. 

Ordering parts, something I should have done MUCH sooner, is something that is climbing up the priority ladder very quickly- I already have two blades on the lower main rotor taped up, and I have to keep re-adjusting the top main rotor because two of the blades keep sliding backwards on the outer ring....

All in all, I am really surprised that the thing is still flying though.  It's not like the thing is just crashing- it's crashing HARD!  A fall from ceiling height is.'t too serious for something with as little mass as this copter, but when it hits something in flight and gets launched into the floor, bounces then skitters across the floor to crash into the wall... That's gotta hurt!

Def

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2007, 02:10:28 AM »
My buddy with the other helicopter was over yesterday and he's greatly impressed with mine.  His helicopter is set up differently than mine- it's an Air Hogs Havoc, a cheaper type helicopter than mine, and not nearly as maneuverable as mine.  He's already admitted defeat in my air combat proposal as a result!

Def

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2007, 06:52:02 AM »
Hehehe... I've still got to get mine out again and see if I can make it go anywhere... I'm going to try switching the tail rotor and see if that helps. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
September Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: $138.52
PayPal Fees: $8.22
Net Balance: $130.30
Below Goal: $169.70
Site Currency: USD
43%