Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My New Toy

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
My New Toy
on: July 27, 2007, 04:10:25 PM
Hello, haven’t posted in a while……but I thought you all might like to see my new toy (and I want to show it off!!)
It’s a Tablet pc, for those that don’t know what one is, its basically a big PDA or more a huge PocketPC. Entry is by a stylus, using either an on screen keyboard, or handwriting recognition (which is surprisingly good!).
It’s a few years old with a P3 933MHz, 256MB ram (soon to be 768 when I buy some more) 30Gb hard drive, WiFi, wired network and the usual array of ports. But it runs pretty quick and for note taking/web browsing/a bit of light gaming :P its brilliant, and the wow factor is good too! It should work well as an eBook reader as well but not having any I can’t try it, but reading the manual on it was a painless experience. It can play videos in full screen and can last through a full film and still have some battery left to write that email you really should have done when the film started! You can buy an extended battery which would stretch the battery life to 6hrs (from 4hrs) doing office tasks. I will also upgrade the wireless at some stage as its only 802.11b at the moment and there is the occasional lag when streaming video but I will wait till I’ve upped the ram to see if that helps the situation.
 The dock it came with is very handy allowing me to take the tablet away with me without having to spend 5mins unplugging everything and also allows the tablet to swivel round from portrait to landscape.

Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: My New Toy
Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 04:15:07 PM
Very cool- send me an email with a list of a few writers you like and I'll see if I have any books you might be interested in.  The nice thing about e-books is they are small files and pretty easy to email.

Is it running Windows Mobile, or is there another OS designed for Tablet PC's?  I have to admit, I don;t really know much about them...

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 04:19:00 PM
Cheers for that i'll probably take you up on the offer!

It runs Windows XP Tablet Edition, which is basically XP Pro with a few extra bits to enable pen input, so all the programs that run on XP will run on it, very handy!

Roadie

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 04:28:24 PM
That's even better... I was gonna offer you a few Pocket PC games too but I guess you don't need that!

I have Age of Empires for the Pocket PC, but it's a little small.  Playable, and impressive at that size, but still just too darned small a screen.  A tablet running XP would be cool- I'd have hours of fun playing Galactic Battlegrounds, Starcraft and maybe even some Command and Conquer on it!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 04:35:21 PM
Yeah its great as long as the game can be controlled by the mouse (with only a sprinkling of keyboard use, i.e. arrow keys and a couple of other buttons) then you are sorted. Other tablets do have more keys available but for anything but gaming its not really required.

Roadie
p.s. email sent to realdef @ hotmail . com

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 07:39:29 PM
I replied, but from a different account.  I sent you a bunch of books, and suggested if you sent me your address I can burn and send a bunch more.

It seems you and I have similar tastes...

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%