Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Vic Mechanic

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Vic Mechanic
on: July 03, 2007, 06:18:58 PM
I just became aware of the Vic Mechanic, which looks to be a Vic Tinker with added pliers.

Currently, a Vic Tinker is my EDC pocket tool.

Any opinions on the Mechanic?  Especially, how usable are the pliers?  How do the Mechanic's pliers compare to Gerber Clutch, LM P4, etc. ?

Thanks in advance for any help.

N

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Vic Mechanic
Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 07:04:05 PM
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Sparkey

• Road Monkey
Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 07:07:50 PM
I recently looked into updating my EDC and the mechanic and the tinker were on the list (among others). I had a wenger standard issue and needed something with pliers and a real phillips driver...The Mechanic was a good knife, but I wasn't impressed with the pliers..they would probably do well for small jobs, such as holding things in place and such, but They felt like they couldn't take the torque that a regular pair of pliers would take in a situation such as tightening or loosening a stubborn bolt. I've got a gerber and 2 leathermen and I prefer the needlenose type pliers of the leathermen. So, if compactness is key and you're not doing any tough plier work, go with the sak..but the Gerber or the leatherman will be a tougher customer if you need something for tougher work. I hope this helps!
"

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 06:36:43 AM
Thanks, Kingpin, for pointing to your excellent comparison of the Vic Mechanic and Wenger Journeyman.  Awesome closeup pics!

I like everything about the Mechanic better than the Journeyman, except for the pliers!

The Journeyman pliers look tougher and grippier, and I like the look of their spring system better than that of the Mechanic pliers.  Also, I really like the slipjoint adjustment capability of the Wenger pliers - looks like a great idea to give a smaller set of pliers more capability. 

But, despite liking the Journeyman's pliers better, I dislike that it lacks the small screwdriver on the can opener, a feature on my Tinker that I regularly find uses for.

The Mechanic was a good knife, but I wasn't impressed with the pliers...I've got a gerber and 2 leathermen and I prefer the needlenose type pliers of the leathermen. So, if compactness is key and you're not doing any tough plier work, go with the sak..but the Gerber or the leatherman will be a tougher customer if you need something for tougher work. I hope this helps!

Thanks for the reply, Sparkey.

But, I'm not sure about what Gerber and what Leathermen you are refering to.

Gerber Clutch?  Leatherman P4?  Or, are you refering to bigger Gerber and Leatherman models?

Of course I wouldn't expect the Mechanic's pliers to be comparable to pliers on the bigger multis.

Was hoping they might be nearly as useful as Gerber Clutch and Leatherman P4.

N

Offline Sparkey

• Road Monkey
Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 10:26:54 AM
Thanks for the reply, Sparkey.

But, I'm not sure about what Gerber and what Leathermen you are refering to.

Gerber Clutch?  Leatherman P4?  Or, are you refering to bigger Gerber and Leatherman models?

Of course I wouldn't expect the Mechanic's pliers to be comparable to pliers on the bigger multis.

Was hoping they might be nearly as useful as Gerber Clutch and Leatherman P4.

Sorry for the lack of clarification there, I was in a hurry typing. I've got a Leatherman kick I use for an EDC, A Supertool that I use for heavy jobs and a gerber mp400 bluntnose. In my post I was trying to compare between the mechanic and a regular-size multi. I don't know how it would stack up against something like a clutch or juice. Thanks for the props, though! :D

"

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 12:30:49 PM
I have a Gerber Clutch and a Leatherman P4 and I am really not certain how well they could be compared to the Mechanic either.  I'd probably opt for the Clutch or P4 just for the additional tools they provide, but if that's not a concern for you then I'd seriously consider the Mechanic.  The pliers are actually pretty handy for the size/type although as pointed out they really aren't any competition to a full sized multi.  For a compact type "do it all" SAK though I think that the Mechanic is a pretty handy little knife and it often finds its way into my EDC rotation. 

Where I notice the Mechanic pliers working best is with wiring and small parts in enclosed spaces.  The relatively long and thin pliers will get places that a full sized multi or even a keychain multi like the Clutch or P4 won't, and sometimes that can be worth it's weight in gold when at the side of the road trying to reach an awkward fuse panel, releasing a badly placed hose clamp or at home trying to pull a jumper in a micro ATX case or mini tower.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007, 10:54:41 PM
I have a Gerber Clutch and a Leatherman P4 and I am really not certain how well they could be compared to the Mechanic either...

Thanks for the comparison Def.

At this point, I'm pretty much resigned to getting both a Clutch and a Mechanic, just to see for myself which is more useful for EDC.

Was hoping to avoid the "buy both" solution, 'cause I've been spending too much of late on flashlights, knives, multitools, etc.

N

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 12:47:54 AM
Well the good thing about the Clutch and the Mechanic is that neither will really break the bank.

Def

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #8 on: July 05, 2007, 01:17:44 AM
Was hoping to avoid the "buy both" solution...

That's it.  I'm revoking your MT.O membership for not following our motto :)

"When in doubt, buy both!"
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007, 03:19:14 PM
Well the good thing about the Clutch and the Mechanic is that neither will really break the bank....Def

Yeah, that's true.  But, I really must exercise more self control - can't just go around buying every knife and multitool that strikes my fancy.

Wanted to get either just the Clutch or just the Mechanic, so that I could later rationalize buying the SOG Crossgrip.

I'd be able to persuade myself that having two pocket tools isn't redundant, because I really need that second pocket tool for its stronger pliers.

N

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: July 06, 2007, 01:52:54 PM
But, I really must exercise more self control - can't just go around buying every knife and multitool that strikes my fancy.

You should use the same method I do- when my bank account hits 0 I stop buying tools....  and start trading them! :P

Def

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #11 on: July 06, 2007, 08:27:44 PM

Yeah, that's true.  But, I really must exercise more self control - can't just go around buying every knife and multitool that strikes my fancy.

Why Not?  :pok:
T

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #12 on: July 07, 2007, 12:14:04 AM

Why Not?  :pok:

Because I sense the emergence of an addictive behavior pattern? 

Because spending money to duplicate the capabilities of items I already own is irresponsible financially?

Because I already catch Hell for having too many expensive guns, flashlights, and knives?

N

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: July 07, 2007, 12:20:16 AM
That's no more than the sacrifice the rest of us make!  :pok:

Def

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #14 on: July 07, 2007, 12:42:26 AM

Because spending money to duplicate the capabilities of items I already own is irresponsible financially?

Because I already catch Hell for having too many expensive guns, flashlights, and knives?

I see nothing wrong with any of those...  :pok:
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: July 07, 2007, 12:50:41 AM
You either huh?

Def

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #16 on: July 07, 2007, 01:15:56 AM

I see nothing wrong with any of those...  :pok:

LOL!  You guys are all hopeless addicts.

Every one of you is totally incorrigible!

N

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: July 07, 2007, 01:18:28 AM
Join usss.... it'ssss betterrrr herrrrreee.  You'lll like ittttt....

:multi:

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%