Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

When did Wal-mart start selling Spyderco knives?

AJ · 7 · 4373

Offline AJ

When did Wal-mart start selling Spyderco knives?
on: July 22, 2007, 05:21:31 PM
I was in shock when I looked at the knife case in wal-mart and seen a spyderco knife!

It was the Native that they had for sale. I just did a search on the walmart site and see they have others too.

Wal-Mart Spyderco's
[

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Re: When did Wal-mart start selling Spyderco knives?
Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 12:24:33 AM
Here's a little tidbit (from the spyderco.com forums) on the Native currently sold in Wal-Mart's brick and mortar stores.

Quote from: sal
Hi NativeAmerican,

A company came to us in the mid 90's and asked us to design a knife that would appeal to the Wal-Mart customer.  They offered to build and inventory the large amounts needed to be able to work with Wal-Mart.

I spent a fair amount of time in Wal-mart watching customers of knives and speaking with them as to their preferences. The Native design was the result of that investigation.

No hump.  It was out first attempt at bi-directional texturing (which we've improved over the years), except for the "fugly" look some have. ;) Large finger chil for control and safety.  Good size for general use.  The swedge "lightened" the blade.  Full flat was considered, but the customer base seemed to prefer the "sexy" grind lines of the current design.

I liked the name "Native" which stood for "Native Amerrican" as the design was born and would be built in the USA.

I felt it was unfair to use the name without somehow compensating the Native American concept.  So we set up a percentage of the knives to be sent to the Native American foundation in Denver.   We ended up sending $5,000 to the foundation after a few years production.   

The knife has presented its challenges but is still being made in the Golden plant.  We have been though 3 steel evolutions.

We do have plans to refine the design and "upgrade", but no final design is there yet.  Our plan was to go to liners and screw construction.  Although with Paul's comment, I guess I need more input on rivets vs screws.

hope that helps.

sal

Keep in mind that Wal-Mart's online store, just like their B&M stores, has a certain amount of leeway in what they purchase for sale. Apparently the online store has stocked Spyderco knives for a long time, even before the Native hit their B&M stores. As far as I know though, the knives on their website are not stock at any of their B&M stores.

Offline Sparkey

• Road Monkey
Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 11:25:20 AM
FYI, WalMart also carries some crkt stuff...they've got the m16-edc model at all 3 stores near here.
"

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 05:36:38 PM
The WalMart near me (in Michigan) carries CRKT, Buck, Spyderco, Kershaw, and a few others.  One thing I think is funny is that they no longer sell any Assisted Openers.  They've still got them on the display piece, but they all say "Not Available" next to them. 
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

Offline Sparkey

• Road Monkey
Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 05:42:45 PM
I think they still have them here...they have the small pocket-type kershaws and a few of the clip knives (I can't remember the models) They also have a good selection of buck and gerber...I think I may invest the 19 bucks and get the crkt..anybody know anything about this particular model(m16-edc[w/zytel scales])? it seems like a good knife at a price that won't send me digging for change at lunchtime... ;)
"

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 11:52:08 PM
I've been eyeing the M-16 line myself...I like the blade shape and the "flipper" is cool.  Problem is, I don't really need one, just want one to play with ;D
[

Offline Sparkey

• Road Monkey
Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 10:15:17 AM
Nobody said I needed one either!  ;)
"

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56