Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Whic one would you choose?

ca Offline ketchupgun

on: December 14, 2011, 06:13:38 PM
I know very little about flashlights...I don't really own a "real" one. I got offers on the following 3 on a trade...but I don't know which to choose.

LM Serac S2
LM Serac S3
Stream Light Micro Stream

I eventually want to get two lights...a pocket EDC (Fenix E05 kinda thing) and a larger/more sophisticated (under $60) kind of bigger one to keep in my camera bag. I'm more interested in flood than throw btw.

I'm trading it for my LM Juice S2 (which I paid $50 CDN for)...so whats a fair deal?
And why are the LM's discontinued?

(btw, no offence to the prospective traders who offered these...i just need more info to make a decision).
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 06:30:56 PM by ketchupgun »

gb Offline 5hif7y

• tooled up
Re: Whic one would you choose?
Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 06:48:22 PM
im from the uk so this might be different to you, but here a S2 is worth far more than one of tho lights.

dont hold me to this but i fink leatherman have discontinued those lights because led lenser are now teaming up with them and they will be there suppliers for lights.

for a small light id say a fenix e05 is great. for a bigger one i like my fenix ld20, its a great light for around £50
-----5hif7y-----

gb Offline 5hif7y

• tooled up
Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 06:51:26 PM
sorry to the trader if that sounded like i was insulting the offer. that wasnt my intention. i have no idea what thos lights are worth i just wouldnt think it would be as much.

the stream light micro stream would be a good small picket light. :salute:
-----5hif7y-----

ca Offline ketchupgun

Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 07:00:40 PM
Thx for the help.  Just to confirm, U think the s2 is worth more than the other two lights?

The s3 looks more sophisticated from what I see online specs.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 07:06:30 PM by ketchupgun »

gb Offline 5hif7y

• tooled up
Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 07:08:14 PM
in the uk the LM is between £50 to £60 from what i can see(i got mine for £60). from just looking online the LM serac s2 is between £30 and £35. the LM serac s3 is closer at about £40 and the steam light is the cheapest at about £18.

maybe go with the Serac S3 but id like to hear others opinions. dont just take my word for it lol i dont want to be wrong but i might be.

see what others say
-----5hif7y-----

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 07:27:54 PM
If you don't mind dealing with CR123s, the Serac S3 is by far most capable light out of the 3.

us Offline Inzelique

• If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer
Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 11:37:46 PM
I have carried an S3 for 3 years or so.  I've changed the battery twice.  This is the best light I've ever used.  also the most expensive.  HIGHLY recommended.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 11:48:19 PM
Not that I own any, but of the three I'd go for the Serac S2.  Common and cheap battery, pocket sized and also good for the slide on the side of some LM sheaths, now a few years out of production so (unlike the Microstream) getting harder to pick up quite so easily.

None of them strike me as bad lights though. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 02:06:51 AM
I have a Leatherman Serac S2, S3, and several other lights.  I would opt for the S3 over the S2 without hesitation because the S3 is much brighter, has 3 levels of brightness, and provides longer runtimes.  Leatherman discontinued the Serac line and the local (USA) TJ Maxx and Marshall stores have been selling the S3 for about $14 each -- much less than I spent for a used Serac S3 a couple of years ago.

The only caveats are that the Serac S3 is noticeably larger than the S2 and is powered by a single CR123A battery.   I don't mind spending the money on CR123 batteries that I buy from web dealers, but they may be more difficult to obtain and more expensive if you are located outside the USA.

Have fun.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

ca Offline ketchupgun

Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 10:01:44 AM
Thx guys. I think I'm going with the s3, to tote along with my camera gear at shoots....which by the way is always full of spare CR123s.  Very common photography battery.

Eventually I'll get myself a Fenix e05 or the likes for my LM sheath

us Offline Flying Dutchman

Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 06:03:08 PM
I have the 2 Seracs and think I might have the Streamlight after Christmas :)

Serac S2 is probably the most capable, as far as light (35 lumens on high) and size. Single AAA lights are my favorite, and with a 2 mode clicky, its tough to beat. The Microstream is only 1 output level, and the S3 has 3 levels but is considerably thicker. Still easy to carry, but if its a concern, find the S2. I carry the S3 most days and love it though.

ca Offline ketchupgun

Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 10:57:44 AM
Well my trade fell thru. So now I'm at square one:

I'm looking for something to fit my LM Wave sheath (Maratac AAA, Fenix eo5, LM serac S2???) must be floody not throwy

And something slightly more sophisticated ($50ish) (no bigger than a single AA or Cr123) with multiple modes.

Any takers?

Any suggestions

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #12 on: December 21, 2011, 02:53:14 PM
The Maratac AAA is a very nice light, but I've been carrying a Serac S2 quite frequently over the past several weeks (thank you, TJ Maxx, for the credit card hit due to my poor ability to pass them over... at least I'd returned the S3s I'd gotten...).  Overall, I find myself disappointed at the S3; the medium, to my eye, really isn't much different from the high mode. :think:  Also, because you want it to fit your Wave sheath, a CR123 light probably won't fit easily; the S3 is short and wide - noticeably so compared to the S2.

So yes, without having an E05, which is single mode, my vote is for either the S2 or Maratac AAA. :)

us Offline Flying Dutchman

Reply #13 on: December 21, 2011, 05:17:41 PM
I find the S2 too large still to comfortably fit. I find it hindering tool access. While I would love to have that pouch stuffed with LM gear, the Maratac AAA just does such a better job. 3 levels of light output too, up to 80 Lumens. That's double the S2.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: December 21, 2011, 07:31:56 PM
Well if it's flood you want then the E05 is really the only one I'd go for.  I wouldn't get to caught up in lumen counting, for a small light 27 lumen nicely diffused is really all you might ever need for indoors work IMO. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%