Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Failure and success

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Failure and success
on: March 01, 2010, 07:24:06 PM
Well, I decided to give modding my CT34 another go. Apparently I suck pretty bad  :twak:. I realized I screwed up the drilling and was starting to eat into the bushings. Decided to try knocking the pins through, and all I managed to accomplish was mangling the outer spacers because I didn't have it supported right apparently :oops: . I made an executive decision and thought it was best to quit while I was ahead lol. I "de-manglefied" the outer spacers enough so the damage is purely cosmetic. At first the small blade had play and the large one wouldn't open. Once I got it working properly I slapped it back together. You can see some damage to the outer spacers, but it's just cosmetic really and since it's a user it isn't a big deal. Either I'm just not meant to mod SAKS or I gotta find some beaters to practice on :D

On the positive side, while it was apart I grabbed the dremel and ground the keyring nub off. This went far smoother. I like it sooooooo much better without that keyring hole. One of these days I think I'll hit Rotokid up for some new scales. I wanna put some new black ones on there.

Someday I may just see if I can get somebody from the forum to fix it up for me. Replace those outer spacers and devastated pins/ bushings, or if nothing else at least get the opener layer removed. But if I'm gonna go so far as to pay somebody for some work, I may just go all out and have them add a mag glass layer to it in place of the openers.

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Re: Failure and success
Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 07:46:16 PM
May I recommend Mike 56.  I did the same thing you did and he fixed and modded my 34.

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 09:53:14 PM
I can fix it for you if you want. LMK.

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 10:06:53 PM
Possibly, but right now it's not a priority. I'll keep offers in mind though for once I have a bit of extra fundage to toss around for trivial things like rebuilding perfectly functional SAKs lol. I keep thinking how much I'd love to mod in a mag glass, light layer a la Cybertool Lite.

ca Offline gunga

Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 11:37:36 PM
So, anyone know wher eI can get a betaer cybertool?  I only need the drivers layer so I can try building up a small cyber tool...

;P

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 01:45:43 AM
I was actually thinking at one point that making a driver only tool, or maybe driver and pliers would be a nice companion to a larger multi. But then I lost my Swisstool, so the CT got partnered with the Spirit S instead. Which means I need the scissors, and I'd rather not lose the mini driver, so I need the corkscrew, which means I have to keep the knife layer too. So that plan went straight to Hell in a hurry lol. But really I think a CT driver only tool could be pretty cool.

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 02:16:33 AM
Sorry to hear it all went pear shaped.  Grab yourself a few beat up SAKs and have a practise.  Everyone has to learn sometime, just best to do it on something really cheap :)

Here's my ultra minimalist CT ;)

It actually gets quite a bit of use.
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 02:20:01 AM
Sorry to hear it all went pear shaped.  Grab yourself a few beat up SAKs and have a practise.  Everyone has to learn sometime, just best to do it on something really cheap :)

(Image removed from quote.) (Image removed from quote.)

Neil, you realize you're missing a bit, yes? ^^;

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 02:23:44 AM

That's what makes it ultra minimalist :P

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 02:37:21 AM

That's what makes it ultra minimalist :P

Well, you've paired it down all you could go, going so far as using eco scales (nylon may be lighter, I don't know), but the missing bit doesn't make it ultra minimalist... just, means you're missing a bit. :P

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 02:41:32 AM
That is exactly what I was thinking. Man that could be a handy guy to have around.

And yeah half way through I told my little brother who was watching me "you know, maybe I should have made a practice run on one of the beaters we have laying around before I started destroying my nice one" lol. I still may have a crack at the couple half destroyed beaters laying around my Mom's house if I can find 'em ( I believe a compact and a champ) both for practice and a source of parts to undo the damage to my CT. The compact nobody knows where it came from, but it's a bit rusty and the scales are broken. Nobody cares about it. The other one if I recall is a Champ which technically belongs to my brother that is really neglected and beat up, but would make a good source of donor parts once they are cleaned up. He has told me numerous times that I could have it because he has no interest in SAKs but he can never find the thing lol.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: March 02, 2010, 02:54:20 AM

[IMAGE]

I love it!  I like that you used a pair of solid scales.  Next tme maybe you could try to put one in Alox scales.

I know why you.re missing a bit, you're looking for a T6 to put in there to make it really useful.

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: March 02, 2010, 11:40:41 AM
That is exactly what I was thinking. Man that could be a handy guy to have around.

And yeah half way through I told my little brother who was watching me "you know, maybe I should have made a practice run on one of the beaters we have laying around before I started destroying my nice one" lol. I still may have a crack at the couple half destroyed beaters laying around my Mom's house if I can find 'em ( I believe a compact and a champ) both for practice and a source of parts to undo the damage to my CT. The compact nobody knows where it came from, but it's a bit rusty and the scales are broken. Nobody cares about it. The other one if I recall is a Champ which technically belongs to my brother that is really neglected and beat up, but would make a good source of donor parts once they are cleaned up. He has told me numerous times that I could have it because he has no interest in SAKs but he can never find the thing lol.

A popular first run is to make a whittling SAK.  Get an old Camper/Huntsman or the like and take it down to two blades and a saw.  Its popular because its only two layers, the parts are not hard to come by and its a unique non-purchasable configuration made with a job in mind.

I love it!  I like that you used a pair of solid scales.  Next tme maybe you could try to put one in Alox scales.

I know why you.re missing a bit, you're looking for a T6 to put in there to make it really useful.

Solid scales were a must as I needed a back without a corkscrew slot, so I had to use a front.  Now the front tweezers slot would not line up right with the bushings on the back leaving an ugly hole so I took an old solid scale and redrilled bushing holes in the mirror image placements and epoxied it on.  Due to the logo on the scale I call it my Dinky Little CT :)

No plans for an alox variant and my T6 bit (think I've only got the one  :-\ ) sits on my other modded CT.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%