Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Question about Cutters

Offline qwerty017

Question about Cutters
on: February 26, 2010, 02:53:45 PM
I'm looking to buy a Powerlock 2.0 but was wondering about the cutters. I was one of the people that really wished the Powercut had become reality but since it didn't I was wondering how the standard cutters on the SOGs were. What can they cut? Can they cut chain link fence wire in the hard wire notch?
Also, I saw J-sews Powercut Mod and was wondering if anyone had found an easier set of pliers that would work for the head in case the standard pliers won't work for me. Like maybe the Crescent PS5429C?

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Re: Question about Cutters
Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 04:19:53 AM
Welcome to the forum qwerty :cheers: I own a few SOG MTs but haven't put them through any hard use. Bob should be along soon enough to answer your questions :tu:

Offline qwerty017

Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 10:32:29 AM
I see frequent mention of Bob all over the SOG forum. Guess I will wait for him. lol

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 10:40:03 AM
I see frequent mention of Bob all over the SOG forum. Guess I will wait for him. lol
Well, Bob really SOGs...  :think:

Erhh, that didn't sound right..  ;) :D

Offline qwerty017

Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 06:46:12 AM
Well, Bob really SOGs...  :think:

Erhh, that didn't sound right..  ;) :D

Lol. BTW, what is Bob's handle so I know who to look out for?

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 11:16:50 AM
J-Sews

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 03:29:44 AM
Oops, sorry it took me so long to find this thread :-[

qwerty, the hard wire cutters on a PowerLock are capable of cutting steel wire, like coat hangers or fish hooks. But the notch itself just isn't large enough to fit chain link fence wire. :-\

As regards the Crescent PS5429C, it looks like a pretty capable tool from the pictures I've seen

But it would be unlikely that the cutter head would fit right into a PowerLock with no modification. :( Multitool plier heads are unusually thin, whereas most single purpose plier tools have a head that is much thicker. The Crescent head would almost certainly need to be milled down to fit.

Bob
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline qwerty017

Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 02:06:34 PM
Cool. That's exactly what I was looking to know. Is there a way to enlarge the hard wire cutter to be able to cut fence wire?

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 03:44:12 AM
Cool. That's exactly what I was looking to know. Is there a way to enlarge the hard wire cutter to be able to cut fence wire?

Wow, I don't know. :think: It would take a bit of trial and error with a dremel tool I suppose. And if it didn't work out... :-\
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 03:48:29 AM
If you are going to cut a lot of fencing wire why would you use a MT? The cutter posted above would be easier/more comfortable to use and have longer life expectancy.

Offline qwerty017

Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 08:33:49 AM
If you are going to cut a lot of fencing wire why would you use a MT? The cutter posted above would be easier/more comfortable to use and have longer life expectancy.

For me it's because I don't do a lot of cutting of fence wire. Actually I never have. It's more for an "in case I need to" situation as fence wire is the strongest thing I would need to cut through where I work and it's easier to only carry 1 tool all the time rather than 2 tools, with one pretty much never being used.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 10:19:05 AM
Ah I see. In that case it should be fine, but really sog wouldn't be my choice if cutting hard wire is required, since the cutters are grounded too sharp and seems to be meant more for copper than steel. I'd take LM supertool 300 with its 154cm cutter.

What really annoys me is the type of people who use their MT cutting fence all day long then complain about how it's crap since the cutter didn't hold up.

Offline qwerty017

Reply #12 on: March 04, 2010, 10:33:27 AM
It's pretty much all copper wiring so the SOG was my first choice. Actually a PT-540 was but Frys no longer caries them here.  :(

I wish SOG would come out with a Powerlock with the 154cm replaceable cutters. At least as a stopgap while they try and bring back the Powercut with J-Sews help. lol

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #13 on: March 04, 2010, 10:37:15 AM
Lol, hope you are patient, sog isn't exactly the quickest when it comes to changes.

Offline qwerty017

Reply #14 on: March 04, 2010, 10:42:54 AM
True. Which is why I'm always cruising the MOD forum.  :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20