Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Any Wenger fans here?

spam Offline Fisting_Chili

• No Life Club
Any Wenger fans here?
on: February 26, 2010, 09:53:28 PM
I have a couple unusual ones I'm trying to identify...?

This one has some kind of locking button for the main blade

This one is just funky

This one has some kind of cool magnifying glass

Thanks!
“Do not go gentle, into that goodnight.  Rage....RAGE against the dying of the light!"

-Dylan Thomas

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Re: Any Wenger fans here?
Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 10:02:25 PM
The top one is from their Diplomat Collection and it has metal scales; the next one is from the Snife Collection; and the last one, according to my research, I think is called an Explorer.
T

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 10:05:50 PM
You should check the SAKwiki.  Definitely the place to start.

As for Wenger, I love their creative features.  The Wenger locking system for the main blade is awesome (I have a S557 with it and it's great).  Their SAK's with the universal wrench are nice too.

I'm less thrilled with them since I had a problem with a corkscrew distorting from opening ONE bottle of wine at Thanksgiving.  Yes, they replaced it under warranty, but it does concern me a bit.

My S557 which was in regular EDC rotation, hasn't really come back into rotation, not sure if it will.

However, once the weather breaks, I will be carrying my Large Mountain Bike Wenger SAK for commuting.

(Say...where is AndyTiedye?)

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 10:22:53 PM
I have the odd model or two kicking about.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 10:23:47 PM
The top one is from their Diplomat Collection and it has metal scales; the next one is from the Snife Collection; and the last one, according to my research, I think is called an Explorer.

I can't find any info on this diplomat.  What should I search for on SAKwiki (I forgot all about that site...amazing place!)  The second one I found, thank you!  The third one I cannot find on SAKwiki either....No explorer listed on Wengers 85mm page.

Thanks!
“Do not go gentle, into that goodnight.  Rage....RAGE against the dying of the light!"

-Dylan Thomas

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 10:26:49 PM
I am a big Wenger fan. They make/made so many unusual models and scale styles it boggles the mind.

The black one can be viewed in an online Wenger 1991 catalog over at SAKWicki. It does have the metal scales and a different shield/crest. That particular model is called the Galahad Packlock I believe. Part of a special series called the "Dynasty" series here in North America. I think there is a different name for the series in Europe.

The blue one is from the "Snife" series called "Waves". Great knives came out in the 1990's back when the "Swatch" craze was going strong. The trouble with the Snife series is the scales do not wear well. The scales are white and when the design starts to wear off it looks pretty bad. Looks like yours in in great shape. I will be watching your sales for it when you post it for sale.

I can't really place that last one. One of many Wengers that seem to be nameless.

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 10:29:20 PM

The black one can be viewed in an online Wenger 1991 catalog over at SAKWicki. It does have the metal scales and a different shield/crest. That particular model is called the Galahad Packlock I believe. Part of a special series called the "Dynasty" series here in North America. I think there is a different name for the series in Europe.

Ah thanks. I knew Diplomat didn't look right when I wrote it. Dynasty it is. I found the "Explorer" on Smartknives site.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 10:31:22 PM by felinevet »
T

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 10:31:21 PM

Ah thanks. I knew Diplomat didn't look right when I wrote it. Dynasty it is.
As I mentioned though, it seems there was or is a European name that is different for this series. Karl over on KF might know. I think he told me at one time but I have long forgotten.

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 10:32:42 PM

Ah thanks. I knew Diplomat didn't look right when I wrote it. Dynasty it is.
As I mentioned though, it seems there was or is a European name that is different for this series. Karl over on KF might know. I think he told me at one time but I have long forgotten.
I think the alternate name is the "King Arthur" series.
T

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 10:33:04 PM
I am a big Wenger fan. They make/made so many unusual models and scale styles it boggles the mind.

The blue one is from the "Snife" series called "Waves". Great knives came out in the 1990's back when the "Swatch" craze was going strong. The trouble with the Snife series is the scales do not wear well. The scales are white and when the design starts to wear off it looks pretty bad. Looks like yours in in great shape. I will be watching your sales for it when you post it for sale.

I can't really place that last one. One of many Wengers that seem to be nameless.

Awesome, thank you!  The metal scales on the Dynasty one make it surprisingly heavy!  Not too heavy...just solid.  The wave is up, others to follow.  Thanks for your help

-FC

-Dylan Thomas

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 10:34:25 PM
You should check the SAKwiki.  Definitely the place to start.

As for Wenger, I love their creative features.  The Wenger locking system for the main blade is awesome (I have a S557 with it and it's great).  Their SAK's with the universal wrench are nice too.

I'm less thrilled with them since I had a problem with a corkscrew distorting from opening ONE bottle of wine at Thanksgiving.  Yes, they replaced it under warranty, but it does concern me a bit.

My S557 which was in regular EDC rotation, hasn't really come back into rotation, not sure if it will.

However, once the weather breaks, I will be carrying my Large Mountain Bike Wenger SAK for commuting.

(Say...where is AndyTiedye?)

I've been so used to looking on SAKwiki for Victorinox, I completely forgot it also lists Wengers too.  Thanks!

-Dylan Thomas

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 10:50:26 PM
Here are the links and pages for the 1991 Wenger catalog with the Dynasty series listed. I do believe they added a couple of larger models later on but must have been after this catalog was issued. I have seen a couple of very large models like the Tool Chest with these scales on it.

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 10:54:55 PM
Here are the links and pages for the 1991 Wenger catalog with the Dynasty series listed. I do believe they added a couple of larger models later on but must have been after this catalog was issued. I have seen a couple of very large models like the Tool Chest with these scales on it.
(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)

What is the difference between the Gawain and the Galahad?  They kinda look the same..lol!

-Dylan Thomas

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010, 10:58:27 PM
The Galahad locks, the Gawain doesn't

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: February 26, 2010, 11:02:37 PM
The Galahad locks, the Gawain doesn't

Ah, thank you Zack!

-Dylan Thomas

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #15 on: February 26, 2010, 11:04:36 PM
Love the funkyness of the Snifes.  :D  They are one of those SAK's on my "list".
I'm back!!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: February 26, 2010, 11:14:44 PM
What is odd, on the 16th, I bought a Gawain off eBay. I haven't got it yet though.

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: February 26, 2010, 11:17:11 PM
What is odd, on the 16th, I bought a Gawain off eBay. I haven't got it yet though.

Wasn't from me or you'd have it already!   :D

-Dylan Thomas

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: February 26, 2010, 11:20:26 PM
I know.

The Snifes are hard to find. I do keep my eye open on the eBay.CA site for them.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69