Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Show off your multitool mods!

Gareth · 254 · 54528

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Show off your multitool mods!
Reply #240 on: September 09, 2011, 05:05:09 AM
I noticed that mod’s seem to have to be given names which I find quite chucklesome, so I put my tongue firmly in my cheek when naming these:

Good stuff. Chuck Norris ain't got nothing on your Roundhouse Kick. It is awlsome. :tu:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #241 on: September 09, 2011, 08:03:03 AM
Very cool mods mate, nice to see them here. 8)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ca Offline Metropolicity

• No Life Club
  • Hack Virtuoso
Reply #242 on: September 09, 2011, 08:53:19 AM
Here’s a few of mine – nothing fantastically complicated mind you. This is like playing with lego compared to some of the boffins on here  :D I noticed that mod’s seem to have to be given names which I find quite chucklesome, so I put my tongue firmly in my cheek when naming these:

Gerber DEsTroyer
Simply a 600 DET with the crimping pliers swapped out for the heads off a Paul Chen Multitasker

(Image removed from quote.)

Leatherman Diet Wave (or Wave Lite)
Take a standard Wave and remove all the internal tools

Leatherman Roundhouse (an Awesome Kick)
Using the removed innards from the above Wave and an awl ground from one of the drivers

SOG P4 (Perfect Pocket Power Plier)
Details here (LINK)

I for one LOVE naming my tools. My cameras (freelance day job) all have names of beautiful women. And of course, my modded MTs have names too! :)
Why stop now?

Visit the whole Skinth family here: http://www.skinthsolutions.com

Keep up with The Skinths on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SkinthSolutions

Shapeways - Metro's Q-branch:
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/metro-qbranch

PayPal: metrogradegoods [at} gmail. com

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #243 on: September 09, 2011, 11:13:16 AM
Thanks guys.

@J-Sews: I ditched the blade as I seldom use them in MT's anyway so I could squeeze another tool in  :D I reckon in "public" areas, people would assume there is a knife in it anyway - but then that's never stopped me using tools openly before  ;) It's amazing how "forgiving" people are when you're getting them out of a tangle  :D :D

@zoidberg: The awl is my only faux pas on that tool - I ground the awl on the wrong side  :oops: (still works though)

@Metropolicity: I quite like seeing others name theirs, but somehow feel a little silly naming mine   :-[ :D

Only thing extra I'd like to do is fit a low riding clip on the SOG so that only the clip is visible. I don't have anything I can bolt on at this stage, but I'm going to keep my eyes open. Ideally I want it at the plier end to prevent the arms opening in the pocket which kind of complicates it a bit (getting over the gear covers). If anyone has any solutions, I'd be grateful for suggestions  :salute:

(Still need to find small enough drivers/keys to see if I can poach the spring mechanism off the Paul Chen frame pivot for the Gerber too)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 11:21:44 AM by 50ft-trad »

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ca Offline Metropolicity

• No Life Club
  • Hack Virtuoso
Reply #244 on: September 09, 2011, 05:21:54 PM
Thanks guys.

@J-Sews: I ditched the blade as I seldom use them in MT's anyway so I could squeeze another tool in  :D I reckon in "public" areas, people would assume there is a knife in it anyway - but then that's never stopped me using tools openly before  ;) It's amazing how "forgiving" people are when you're getting them out of a tangle  :D :D

@zoidberg: The awl is my only faux pas on that tool - I ground the awl on the wrong side  :oops: (still works though)

@Metropolicity: I quite like seeing others name theirs, but somehow feel a little silly naming mine   :-[ :D

Only thing extra I'd like to do is fit a low riding clip on the SOG so that only the clip is visible. I don't have anything I can bolt on at this stage, but I'm going to keep my eyes open. Ideally I want it at the plier end to prevent the arms opening in the pocket which kind of complicates it a bit (getting over the gear covers). If anyone has any solutions, I'd be grateful for suggestions  :salute:

(Still need to find small enough drivers/keys to see if I can poach the spring mechanism off the Paul Chen frame pivot for the Gerber too)

I am working on my own Gerber DEsTroyer...except mine is made from a regular 600..not sure what to call it yet :) The spring mechanism will be tough, I haven't got my PCMT (i ordered 2) yet but I am sure we can figure it out!

Nice work!
Why stop now?

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #245 on: September 09, 2011, 05:28:45 PM
I am working on my own Gerber DEsTroyer...except mine is made from a regular 600..not sure what to call it yet :) The spring mechanism will be tough, I haven't got my PCMT (i ordered 2) yet but I am sure we can figure it out!

Nice work!

Cheers  :cheers:

I'm pretty sure a new housing can be fashioned to seat the spring assembly on the other body, but I've just not come up with the keys yet. I can't tell if they are a really small torx or a hex fitting, but a 1.5mm key doesn't go in  :o I'm also not wanting to drill them out in case I need them again or they form part of the internal mechanics.

I've not looked at it for a while TBH, so can't remember details - but even if the existing polymer cover cannot be salvaged/modified it will still serve as a template so long as I don't disassemble by destruction

ca Offline Metropolicity

• No Life Club
  • Hack Virtuoso
Reply #246 on: September 09, 2011, 05:36:28 PM
I was going to see about adding a circular torsion spring, heating 2 specific points in the middle of the shear steel to drill 2 tiny holes in it to keep the spring legs in place.

I bet the internals of the spring mechanism on the PCMT will be easy to extract...I'll know more then I get mine in. I have torx bits coming out of my ears so i am sure I can find something. I'll keep you updated.
Why stop now?

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #247 on: September 09, 2011, 05:43:59 PM
I was going to see about adding a circular torsion spring, heating 2 specific points in the middle of the shear steel to drill 2 tiny holes in it to keep the spring legs in place.

I bet the internals of the spring mechanism on the PCMT will be easy to extract...I'll know more then I get mine in. I have torx bits coming out of my ears so i am sure I can find something. I'll keep you updated.

Excellent - I'll look forward to hearing your thoughts when you've played with it  :tu:

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #248 on: September 10, 2011, 05:46:58 AM

That sounds like the spring on a SOG Crosscut and Crossgrip :salute:

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #249 on: September 10, 2011, 08:04:49 AM

Here’s a few of mine – nothing fantastically complicated mind you. This is like playing with lego compared to some of the boffins on here  :D I noticed that mod’s seem to have to be given names which I find quite chucklesome, so I put my tongue firmly in my cheek when naming these:

Gerber DEsTroyer
Simply a 600 DET with the crimping pliers swapped out for the heads off a Paul Chen Multitasker

Leatherman Diet Wave (or Wave Lite)
Take a standard Wave and remove all the internal tools

Leatherman Roundhouse (an Awesome Kick)
Using the removed innards from the above Wave and an awl ground from one of the drivers

SOG P4 (Perfect Pocket Power Plier)
Details here (LINK)

Great work Alan..  :tu:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #250 on: September 10, 2011, 04:30:28 PM
Great work Alan..  :tu:

Thanks Allan  :cheers:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #251 on: September 10, 2011, 04:50:23 PM

Just for info Metro - the Vic Mini driver worked a treat where all else failed  :tu:
The covers are off at least

Beyond that it would be time to get destructive unfortunately  :-\
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 05:07:20 PM by 50ft-trad »

ca Offline Metropolicity

• No Life Club
  • Hack Virtuoso
Reply #252 on: September 10, 2011, 05:14:12 PM
I had a feeling it was going to be a great big fat torsion spring. I am going to see about extracting that ( I'll never use the PCMT ever) and then bending the feet into a loop.

I am still waiting on mine. *groan*
Why stop now?

us Offline tattoosteve99

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #253 on: September 10, 2011, 06:24:37 PM
I had a feeling it was going to be a great big fat torsion spring. I am going to see about extracting that ( I'll never use the PCMT ever) and then bending the feet into a loop.

I am still waiting on mine. *groan*

Well if you need some real spring wire, I work where they make springs. I'm sure I could snag a few feet for ya.
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%