Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Skeletool???

665ae · 141 · 15716

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Skeletool???
on: July 11, 2007, 08:05:03 AM
I just received an email from Leatherman (if you signed up for the newsletter on the LM site you should have it too) and in it they are talking about a new tool called the Skeletool.  Has anyone heard of this?  Did the Freestyle get renamed?
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

us Offline Stormdrane

• No Life Club
  • Be Prepared
Re: Skeletool???
Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 08:21:30 AM
Skeletool... I wonder if would have a Skeletool?  :ahhh

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 08:29:37 AM
Skeletool™ and Skeletool™ CX
You want to keep weight and overall size to a minimum without sacrificing quality and true functionality. While multi-tools have multiple options, they're often heavier with more features than are used on a regular basis. Conversely, pocket knives are light and streamlined, but render themselves useless when necessary adjustments call for a tool. Enter the new Leatherman Skeletool platform: Minimal weight, compact size and endless capabilities. Premium stainless steel blade, pliers, bit driver and carabiner/bottle opener. That's it. Only the most necessary multi-tool features, that are as slim as a knife, because sometimes that's all you need. Easily clips onto a belt, pack, or vest, no sheath required.

Last minute tweaks are being made to designs as this is being written this, so stay tuned for more information and visuals.

Well it definitely sounds like this is what the freestyle has become, I have to say, I really really do not like the new name, it sounds very cheesy and I hope to God it will not be engraved or stamped on the tool. Freestyle sounded much better, thankfully the product is not out yet, but I still doubt LM will change the name.

It is promising to see the two different models are going to be available from the start.

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 09:17:14 AM
Hmm,

Point 1: I really think LM should be petitioned about changing this name, however, maybe I am alone in my extreme dislike for it.
Edit: I mean come on, even 'Skeleton Tool' would have sounded better, more mature then 'Skeletool'. And What was wrong with leaving it as 'freestyle'? I really hope this kind of naming system doesnt spill over into the other lines of tools.

Point 2: I am starting to get worried about how LM might have altered the tool we have all seen photos of. All of the excitement I have for the former freestyle might very quickly turn to dust upon seeing something I think is not as good aesthetically or functionally as the prototype we have seen photos of. Of course, I am hoping the opposite is true, and they have found ways to make it even sleeker and better working (e.g. so the use can use the bit driver when the tool is closed instead of it being hidden in the clip).
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 10:45:27 AM by Raukodur »

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 11:18:45 PM
As long as they do a good job of designing and manufacturing it, I don't care what the name is. My biggest concern from the start has been that Leatherman will go and muck up a perfectly elegent concept. Let's hope they don't.

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 12:59:16 AM
Wait for the next SHOT show when they introduce the Leatherman Fluffy-Wuffy.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 01:34:54 AM
I remember reading somewhere (I've searched around and can't find it now) that Columbia River K&T went through dozens of names, trying to find one that was not already licensed, before finally caming up with the name Zilla-Tool for their new plier device.

Perhaps Leatherman found that the name Freestyle was already taken?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 01:56:21 AM
It's possible- it happens all the time.  A few years ago Benchmade had trouble with a few names- the Ascent series had to be renamed the Eclipse series as a result.  Or maybe it was the other way around, I can never get it straight.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Sparkey

• Road Monkey
Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 10:35:01 AM
Leatherman hasn't exactly been great with names anyway...surge, squirt, kick, anyone?
"

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 10:45:56 AM
Premium stainless steel blade, pliers, bit driver and carabiner/bottle opener

Hmm, so there is mention of premium steel knife blade, but no mention of titanium handles...I don't think I would buy a skeletool if it didnt have the combo of premium knife steel and all titanium handles, I don't think the price of the tool without these extravangances would be worth it.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: July 12, 2007, 12:45:15 PM
My question is, how will Daveman get along with the Skeletool?  Will there be a neverending struggle to free the people of Etoolnia?

Def

* daveman.jpg (Filesize: 41.25 KB)

Offline tomcrx

Reply #11 on: July 12, 2007, 02:04:34 PM
Will it have a one-hand opening "Havoc Staff"?

Flip it out and say "All of Eternia, I am the Master of the Universe"

The tagline for this tool is: "The only tool fit for a He-Man" or "Master your Universe"

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: July 12, 2007, 02:11:45 PM
Well then Dave really needs to review this one- he's the "Assistant Manager Of The Universe!"

Def

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: July 12, 2007, 02:25:15 PM
I really wish LM would release some more pics of the tool, the information they have given us really tells us nothing more than what we already know, apart from that fact that they changed the name to something retarded. I am getting worried they have also changed the tool to something retarded.

Offline Sparkey

• Road Monkey
Reply #14 on: July 12, 2007, 02:29:31 PM
Coming soon...mer-tool, beast-tool, and he-tool. Come to think of it wasn't trap-jaw kind of a multi-tool villain? he had the laser, the hook and the saw... :)
"

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: July 12, 2007, 02:33:17 PM
I have sent this link to my contact at Leatherman, on the off chance she hadn't seen it yet.  I asked for some additional information on the Freestyle and Skeletool in case they were different animals.  I'll let you all know what she says.

Although I have a feeling anyone who has said anything bad will be banned from our Leatherman giveaways! :P

Def

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: July 12, 2007, 02:37:51 PM
hehe, anyone NOT giving any constructive criticism (aka 'fanboys') should be banned from winning the prize since that rules them out from being able to right a good review  :P

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: July 12, 2007, 02:55:43 PM
Good point!  I hope Leatherman sees it that way too! :P

Def

Offline Sparkey

• Road Monkey
Reply #18 on: July 12, 2007, 03:27:18 PM
hehe, anyone NOT giving any constructive criticism (aka 'fanboys') should be banned from winning the prize since that rules them out from being able to right a good review  :P

So, we get all serious now that free tools are involved?   :o
"

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: July 12, 2007, 03:53:21 PM
I don't think that's any excuse to get serious....   :cheers:

Def

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #20 on: July 12, 2007, 03:53:59 PM
Hmm... maybe that's why I don't ever get free tools to review... :(
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: July 12, 2007, 06:57:33 PM
I have sent this link to my contact at Leatherman, on the off chance she hadn't seen it yet.  I asked for some additional information on the Freestyle and Skeletool in case they were different animals.  I'll let you all know what she says.

Def

I hope she responds. I'd like to hear some reassuring news.

Offline joebw

Reply #22 on: July 12, 2007, 08:41:33 PM
Hi,

I suspect that the reason for no pictures is the following from the Leatherman newsletter.

"Last minute tweaks are being made to designs as this is being written this, so stay tuned for more information and visuals."

The SKELETOOL name has been trademarked.  I think the Freestyle name would have had a conflict with the Ford Freestyle.  Beretta, the firearm manufacturer collected a fair chunk of change from GM over the Chevrolet Beretta.

Joe

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: July 12, 2007, 10:23:00 PM
Here's the word from Leatherman:

This year we will be shipping two tools, the Skeletool and the Skeletool CX. They should be shipping in November. Freestyle is the same concept, but just a different version. If that still comes out it won't be till '08. Here is a picture and as soon as the press is ready, I'll send something to you to post.

And here's the Pic!

Def

* LeathermanSkeletoolCXwatermarked.jpg (Filesize: 65.31 KB)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 04:25:23 AM by Defender »

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: July 12, 2007, 10:41:50 PM
Great stuff Def!

Hmm, ok, so this is weird, that tools looks nearly identical (no major changes at all) from the freestyle pics we have seen previously, so I don't quite understand the need to rename the tool if they are then going to release a different tool under the name 'freestyle' at a later date.

The tool in question has 'skeletool' on it so I am assuming its the non-cx version, but you have it saved as skeletool-cx Def...was it sent to you with that name? Just trying to figure out which model this is.

If that is the non-cx version, will the CX version have a S30V knife?

The handles looks cool, any idea on material? I am really really hoping the cx version has a titanium frame, but since I saw no mention of it at all in the email LM sent out, I am beginning to doubt this will be the case.

Other than this I am very glad the tools has not been changed although I do wish they had changed it to enable the bit driver to be used while the tool was closed, since ATM it doesn't seem like it can be. I notice that the pliers have a more rounded end, which if nothing else, looks better aesthetically. However I don't understand why all multitool plier heads are not made similar to the Powerplay PT540 head, where you have the wire cutter slots and the stop lock behind the pivot.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #25 on: July 12, 2007, 11:26:56 PM
Bear in mind, that I know only as much as you do.  I shared the entire email, except for the "Dear Grant" and the "Thanks" at the end.  I didn't hold anything back so I could look cool, or like "the Man" later on, so all of this is speculation.

Looking closely, it looks like the bit driver folds outward in the picture, which means it folds inward when the tool is closed, which means that the bit driver is inaccessible when the tool is closed.  Like most LM designs, it has to be opened to get at the tools.  The interesting part is that it seems you can't close it again and use the bit driver like you can with older, non locking LM designs.  The carabiner would likely be in the way.  To me, this would suggest that the tool needs to be partways open to use it.  A 90 degree angle would work, but I think straight out would make the most sense.  This also would suggest that there is likely some kind of lock mechanism on the bit driver.  Remember, this is all speculation, and we'll probably have a good laugh at me in a few months.

The CX is a designation it came as.  I reduced the pic by 10% in order to post it, and I added the "a" on the end so I wouldn't confuse it with the original, which I also have.  It looks pretty much the same, only 10% bigger.

The blade also looks like a Wave/Surge/Charge style liner lock.  If you look just to the left of the "man" in Leatherman you can see that there are two pieces there, which looks like a liner lock bar. 

Looking at the handle on the left, it actually looks more like carbon fiber (or an applied CF pattern?) rather than steel or titanium or anything else.   

Initially I thought it might have a pocket clip, as that's what the left side of the handle looks like.  But, I don't think so- not with the carabiner so prominent- it would be awkward sticking out of a pocket like that.  So, what is the pocket-clip-shaped hunk of metal there?  If it was another tool, they probably would have shown it in the picture as well- maybe an inset if the other side isn't as pretty as this side.  What is it is really up to each person's imagination, but I am thinking (and I could be waaaaayyyy off base again) that it might be a bit holder.

Other observations I had were the shorter seeming "stubbier" pliers that are reminiscent of the SwissTool, a direction I like, and the standard Torx bits that hold it together.  The open design could pick up a lot more grit than an enclosed model, and as anyone who has ever owned a CRKT M series knife can tell you, a skeletonized design doesn't always lend itself to easy cleaning.

That's my thoughts on it so far.  I may have more thoughts later, but that's about it for now!

Def

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #26 on: July 13, 2007, 12:28:38 AM
WOW! Not a big fan of the name, but I think the tool looks really good, and most of all- fresh. It's definetly something new to the market, and I'm looking forward to seeing these and the following models.
Am I correct the Freestyle sounds like the same basic tool but maybe different materials or something like that?

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: July 13, 2007, 12:37:06 AM
What do people think of the shape of the knife blade? It looks different from the shape I have seen on any other multitool, and I don't have much experience of folding knives, but its different from the ones I have seen.

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #28 on: July 13, 2007, 12:39:12 AM
Personally, I love the blade shape. It doesn't really look super heavy duty, but a great general blade that looks nice. And non-offensive, which is a big plus for some people!

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #29 on: July 13, 2007, 12:51:07 AM
Alright, I think I see a pocket clip.  Maybe Def mentioned it but I coulden't visualize what he had typed...but here's what I see...

In your mind, close the tool...on the handle with the carabinere, there's a curved peice of metal facing us...I think that is the clip.  It's fastened at the top with a torx at the pivot, and there is a ball shaped metal peice that serves as something to grip onto your pocket, probably in a detent on the handle underneath it.

The way I see it, the carabiner would be in your pocket, and the only thing showing would be that thing curved clip.
[

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD