Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Surge Review

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Surge Review
on: October 01, 2006, 02:35:57 AM
Just posted it if anyone is interested.

http://multitool.org/content/view/35/

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Re: Surge Review
Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006, 02:58:01 AM
Thanks for posting that interesting Surge review.  The photos are excellent.  Perhaps you can add a closeup photo of the pliers when deployed.   Neat stuff.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006, 02:59:45 AM
I will try to take one tomorrow.  One of the great things abotu my place is the beautiful skylights that let in lots of natural light.  However, after dark it gets a little difficult to get good light.
Glad you like it!
Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: October 01, 2006, 04:10:18 AM
Nice review Def, very well written.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline geoemt

Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 06:39:52 AM
Great review Def... ;) and I agree with you the tool is big and heavy.

Guillermo
« Last Edit: October 01, 2006, 06:42:23 AM by geoemt »
<

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: October 01, 2006, 10:40:30 AM
Nice review.  The Surge is a huge too. Does anyone else find it strange that LM made the thumb rest for the scissors out of plastic ???  The only reason I can think of it is to save weight. Which is strange cause the the thing already weights so much.  The plastic thumb rest looks like it could pop out after a long time of use. I would rather they made it one peice of metal like all the other LM scissors
"

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: October 01, 2006, 12:50:48 PM
I actually think the plastic thumb rest is a little more comfortable, but that's just me.
Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: October 01, 2006, 01:37:24 PM
I think the most underrated tool on the Surge is its awl. It is plenty big and pointy, with a positive hook cutting edge running along the entire length. This is the best awl ever included on a multi tool IMO.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: October 01, 2006, 01:57:22 PM
That awl is a serious hunk of metal.  I haven't tried anything specific with it yet but I do like the fact that it locks and is inline with the tool rather than the t-handle design on cellidor SAKs.
Def
Surge06.JPG
* Surge06.JPG (Filesize: 82.44 KB)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: October 01, 2006, 04:07:38 PM
Thanks for posting that interesting Surge review.  The photos are excellent.  Perhaps you can add a closeup photo of the pliers when deployed.   Neat stuff.

Ask and ye shall recieve....
Def
Surge07.JPG
* Surge07.JPG (Filesize: 59.9 KB)
Surge08.JPG
* Surge08.JPG (Filesize: 38.43 KB)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: October 01, 2006, 04:08:06 PM
And a couple more...

Def
Surge09.JPG
* Surge09.JPG (Filesize: 52.75 KB)
Surge10.JPG
* Surge10.JPG (Filesize: 32.98 KB)

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #11 on: October 01, 2006, 07:46:32 PM
Great pliers photos!  I especially like the side-by-side comparison.  Thanks.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: October 02, 2006, 12:15:21 AM
I live to serve...

I personally like to have the comparison shots too- you never really get the idea of the size of something unless you have something to compare it to.  Of course, if you don't have a Wave or PowerLock then this is meaningless too!

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: October 03, 2006, 03:05:38 AM
I been meaning to ask you Bob, did you offer your brother in laws the Surge to try out?  What did they think of it?
Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: October 03, 2006, 04:10:01 AM
Boy, if these guys ever find out how famous they've become in the internet multi tool world..............the big hams will probably start trying to sell their own autographs or something!  :D

Yes, it was like trying to figure out which fruit the gorillas at the zoo like best, by putting out an arrangement of apples and oranges and bananas in front of them and watching which ones they eat first. My two big plumber brother-in-laws were already familiar with the Leatherman Supertool. I originally brought out a Swisstool Spirit, a Charge Ti, a Surge, and a Core, and laid them all out on the table. After pawing the tools over and fiddling with all the features, they consistently chose the Leatherman Core. As professional plumbers, the size of the Core and its blade selection suited them best.

Regarding the Surge, Paul didn't like having to choose between either the saw OR the file. He uses both blades a lot, and wants them both readily available. Given a choice, he would get rid of the scissors to make room for both a file and a saw. (which is what the Core does)

Mike didn't have any big gripes with the Surge, it's just that he liked the Core better. I believe the deciding issue for him was the long reach of the Core's dedicated phillips and regular screwdrivers, compared to the Surge's stubby bits.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: October 03, 2006, 12:11:46 PM
Well I tend to agree with them on one thing- I would also prefer not having to choose between the file and the saw.  Of course I could probably do away with either the serrated or plain blade before getting rid of the scissors. 

Def

Offline spirited

Reply #16 on: October 04, 2006, 09:28:14 AM
Thanks for a great review, I love the pictures as well.
Of course, I'll have to point out that if you checked multitoolguide.com you would have known about the size thing :) Here's a feature comparison of the Wave and the Surge, if anyone is interested.

About the rattling: that would put me off as well. Are you sure this is not a defect in your Surge? I would not expect that from Leatherman.

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: October 04, 2006, 10:24:03 AM
My Surge rattles as well.  I agree with Def in his review that the Surge is a solid tool but it does rattle.  Also I think you guys a missing the point of the blade adapter.  Sure you have to choose between having the file or the saw.  But you gain the huge strong scissors on the outside of the tool for easy access.  Also you can go to your local hardware store and get almost any different type of T-shank saw blade to fit your Surge.
"

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: October 04, 2006, 12:14:45 PM
I think the rattle is necessary to make the tool "loose" enough to open one handed by flicking your wrist.  It's unfortunate, but liveable as long as you can have your tool realy when you need it.

Helena, you are absolutely right about the comparison chart.  To be honest though, I didn't do much research on it since I really didn't plan to buy it- it was part of an opportunity along with a few other tools that I just couldn't pass up.  I had no particular urge to get it, other than to get a new tool!

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%