Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox 84 mm Gourmet 1639

Full Member Posts: 223
Victorinox 84 mm Gourmet
« on: January 18, 2014, 02:29:48 PM »
Some gourmets... One of my favorite sak.

fiber scales

fiber scales, inlay-cross, on the wrong side of the knife.

tortoise-shell with toothpick (no tweezers!) from the same material as the scales.

with bail

horn scales

alox

I hope you have also some gourmets to share...
No Life Club Posts: 2,791
Re: Victorinox 84 mm Gourmet
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 02:48:46 PM »
The elusive back tool alox!
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 9,745 You're amongst friends.
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 02:56:05 PM »
Those are nice  :D  Thanks for sharing  :tu:

SAW
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 18,707 Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 04:20:36 PM »
yes they are.

Nate

SEND IT!
Admin Team Point Of No Return Posts: 33,892
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 05:26:22 PM »
Not nearly as vintage as yours, but here is my one:

Try not to be the person who blunders around and causes everyone else to get out the way.  Everyone else thinks you're a utter...
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 11:29:24 PM »
Very nice the black gourmet!

Has also the shield on the "wrong" side of the scale. Does anybody know why? Is this a speciality of the gourmets?
Admin Team Point Of No Return Posts: 33,892
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 12:07:44 AM »
I always assumed mine was an advertising knife that had never had anything printed on the 'front' scales.

Try not to be the person who blunders around and causes everyone else to get out the way.  Everyone else thinks you're a utter...
No Life Club Posts: 4,534
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 12:16:35 AM »
That is a real Gourmet sampling.    :drool:   :salute: :cheers:
Global Moderator Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 20,690 I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 12:20:32 AM »
Ulli, do you happen to know if there were any other ALOX Gourmets made except the Fina ones? They are a bit of a rare beast and all the ones I've seen so far have been the ones with Fina advertising. If I remember correctly Jazzbass has a Fina one, and Peter who gave me permission to use pictures of his for the wiki has the same advertising too.

http://www.sakwiki.com/ti...se_image.php?imageId=2921
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 11:31:49 AM »
enki_ck: I know only the fina alox gourmet, but would not be surprised if they are alox gourmets with different scales. I think that as a company, you could order any specific tool and scale combination you want as long as its a good deal for victorinox. Fina as a big company ordered at least hundreds if not thousands of alox gourmets for promotion use, so they appear more than the knives from smaler companies.

I don`t really understand the hype for alox knives. In my opinion, alox is not really a good scale material for knives if you are really interested in using your knife. As you can see on the picture, the corkscrew left some ugly scrapes on the surface.

Its almost impossible to find some vintage alox knives with good looking scales. But you can find many vintage knives in great shape with scales made of horn or stag. Also the haptic feeling is much better if the scales are out of a natural material. Maybe thats why not many other companies produce alox scales, so that means its special, rare, and collectible... even if its not a really usefull.
Hero Member Posts: 883
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 05:47:19 PM »
Surprisingly my favorite one is the roughest one. Love the exposed pins on cellidor.

The corkscrew leaves indents/impression on cellidor and the aluminum liners on all my SAKs as well.
I'd much prefer cellidor scales for the added tools and as you mentioned other materials age better.
50 year old used cellidor looks fine heavily used Alox can look really hurt. Some say it gives it character, but to me it makes it look kind of junky. I like my things looking new as long as possible. Plus cellidor can be replaced once it's past it's prime and you have so many more options.
Hero Member Posts: 779
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2018, 03:01:55 PM »
I know its an old one but added to this thread as it seemed to belong  .... plus there are some pretty pics

Found this today its a standard FINA alox gourmet but interesting logo ..... few dings but the steel is mint

No Life Club Posts: 1,374
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2018, 04:31:07 PM »
Saw the pic and then it was gone. Looked like a neat Fina gourmet variant.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
November Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: $123.79
PayPal Fees: $7.60
Net Balance: $116.19
Below Goal: $183.81
Site Currency: USD
39%